Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What personal traits are needed to become a brony?

Broccoli

Has anypony else thought of this before? I have introduced my brother to MLP, but he just isn't interested. On the other hand, I was willing to give the pony show a shot, and became a brony soon after that.

I have heard that many bronies are tech savy and like to game, but I am neither. There has to be something in common with us bronies, making us different from those who aren't willing to accept the MLP show. Knowing what kind of traits we have in common will also help us in creating more bronies in the future, since we will know what kinds of people to introduce MLP to, rather than showing it to any random person.

well from what i have observed, some thing needs to be wrong with your life, weather your sad or turning your back on humanity, also being open minded helps, i too have had conversion problems, i tried introducing it to my friends, however i thought to myself, maybe the reason they didnt get it is that their lives have been good, they have a life, and friends

but thats just my theroy

• Brohoof 1

Being a gamer or tech savy are traits for knowing what memes are and being exposed to MLP FiM in the first place, but not necessary to be a fan. I'm a gamer, but not tech savy. I think it has to do with being open minded, comfortable with your masculinity (for guys. This one doesn't apply to pegasisters as much), and being the kind of person who wouldn't reject it automatically because of what other people whould say.

well from what i have observed, some thing needs to be wrong with your life, weather your sad or turning your back on humanity, also being open minded helps, i too have had conversion problems, i tried introducing it to my friends, however i thought to myself, maybe the reason they didnt get it is that their lives have been good, they have a life, and friends

but thats just my theroy

This is quite possible as well. So far nothing is wrong with my life, and I'm very happy with it. I have supportive parents and a nice family. However, I don't exactly have a whole lot of friends, although the few friends I have are very close friends. I am also a loner at school, somewhat. However it is a matter of choice, not the people hate me kind of loner. I only hang out with one or two very close friends at once. I hate hanging out in a large noisy group of people. I'm more of the solitary kind of person.

I think to become a brony you have to be somewhat different from others. I'm not sure about popularity, but at school I'm not really a popular guy, and this may have given me some time to try different things on my own.

Also, you'll have to be someone who can accept cute stuff, :) and be open minded. For instance, I have a friend who likes anime with cute charaters. However, when I showed him MLP he asked, "Isn't this a girl's show?" :blink: The friend I had asked was even more of a loner than I am, and is quite different from other people, yet he was not interested in MLP -_- Why u no like???

Being a gamer or tech savy are traits for knowing what memes are and being exposed to MLP FiM in the first place, but not necessary to be a fan. I'm a gamer, but not tech savy. I think it has to do with being open minded, comfortable with your masculinity (for guys. This one doesn't apply to pegasisters as much), and being the kind of person who wouldn't reject it automatically because of what other people whould say.

True. I first knew of MLP through memes, and flickr. I also believe it has to do with "being the kind of person who wouldn't reject it automatically because of what other people whould say." Someone who likes the show, and sticks to his/her own opinions, will continue watching. However, those who are easily manipulated by the words of others, may stop watching the show as soon as they are told so.

Good taste :)

Jk jk

I think all you need is an open mind, the right sense of humor, probably at least some Internet knowledge, and if you're male, to feel secure in your masculinity.

Bronies come in a whole manner of different shapes and sizes, with greatly varying hobbies, passions, opinions and interests. There really isn't any distinctive set of traits that constitutes a brony, however, the one distinguishing quality that all of us seem to share, is that we are able to find some aspect of the show that we're particularly fond of, and in turn love to discuss these characteristics with others who share a similar mindset.

Seeing as the show is strongly centered around the significance of compassion and acceptance of others, the brony community tends to attract those who are generally nondiscriminatory and tolerant of others opinions. So essentially, the only real prerequisite for regarding yourself as a brony is a love for the show; all the other associated positive attributes seem to just follow suit.

Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 1

Well, since there are pony versions of EVERY meme in existence, that helps a lot, but, While lots of people with problems are bronies, I have a great life and am a brony regardless. It seems to help if you watched similar cartoons when you were young and FIM remind you of them :P

The show itself is just plain out entertainment, and if someone doesn't like cute, humorous talking magical animals so be it.

Edited by Zero

The one and only trait to become a brony is to watch the show and enjoy it.

Eh. . .I'd have to disagree there. While the basic idea of being "brony" is simply watching the show, being "a brony" is more of a title of honor. When you decide to become "a brony," you're making the decision to promote the ideas of love and tolerance with an open mind; to be that guy who standing up for his friends and family; to be a person who is secure in theirself. You feel inspired by the show to make changes in yourself or the world you live in for the better. There are varying degrees of dedication, but overall I think holding yourself to the title of "brony" goes a bit further than just being a fan of a cartoon.

Still, opinions are just opinions.

Seeing as the show is strongly centered around the significance of compassion and acceptance of others, the brony community tends to attract those who are generally nondiscriminatory and tolerant of others opinions. So essentially, the only real prerequisite for regarding yourself as a brony is a love for the show; all the other associated positive attributes seem to just follow suit.

This.

I have a couple of friends who are outspoken haters of the show (needles to say, neither of them have ever watched it) and they are both the kind of people who will be steadfast in their hatred of something just for the sake of conflict.

On the other hand, people I know who are bronies are people who will express their dislike for something by simply not showing interest in it.

Simple, watch more than one episode!

Disagree. I'll just quote what Kodiak, here, said. Because I don't want to say the same again. :P

Eh. . .I'd have to disagree there. While the basic idea of being "brony" is simply watching the show, being "a brony" is more of a title of honor. When you decide to become "a brony," you're making the decision to promote the ideas of love and tolerance with an open mind; to be that guy who standing up for his friends and family; to be a person who is secure in theirself. You feel inspired by the show to make changes in yourself or the world you live in for the better. There are varying degrees of dedication, but overall I think holding yourself to the title of "brony" goes a bit further than just being a fan of a cartoon.

I think that anyone can become a brony. You don't really have to have a particular personality to like the show. One thing you need however, is to have an open mind and to be willing to try and accept things you're not familiar with.

I don't either think you need any special traits to become a brony, though i do think that the kindness that most people here show would make new people feel a little bad about pecking on others here. And as Kodiak said, i think that being a brony is a little bit more than just enjoying the show. Being a brony might involve making pictures/music/videos, trying to help the community, and as we do here, talk with other bronies.

but thats just my theroy

That's very true, i ain't had a good life but pony's give me the strength to carry on. And my life is looking up ever since i became a brony. met a nice girl - she's a good friend, and she's a brony too ! just thought i would share that with a few people.

Well anyone can become a brony but certain traits can help. For instance kindness and generosity, and understanding is one of the things that all brony's seem to have.

The show itself is just plain out entertainment, and if someone doesn't find cute, humorous talking magical animals so be it.

This ^^^^^^^^

Im just a tech savy and a gamer, got alot of friends and im in general just happy, for my life my friends and everybody who loves me, i don't think it needs to be something wrong with you to like watching talking ponies and be in an awesome community!

To be honest I think that's going a little overboard. You're making the word "brony" like a religious term.

A "brony" is a name given to male fans of the My Little Pony Franchise.

It isn't someone who is "open minded" and "follows the way of love and toleration". We say we're something, and haters will say we're something.

Edited by Zero

I like to think we are all superior beings. and some time in the future it will be discovered that a class of ultimate beings can be distinguished because they watch ponies.

Or wd didn't expose the show to ourself set on tearibg it apart. Combined with the fact we actually DID sit down to watch an episode at some point.

Or we are just a bunch of weirdos, but I fibd thag unlikely.

• Brohoof 1

but thats just my theroy

This seems about right, but your life doesn't have to be bad to like ponies, all it takes is open-mindedness. The ability to acknowledge a feeling of childhood happiness that some would be led to believe it as one of the haters I've run into would call it, "the <censored> gene", blah...

either way, the Bronies I do know are Kinder than most of the people i know in real life. maybe thats it?

Elements to become a brony:

Loss of control, screaming and hollering, and most importantly, passion ^_^

Edited by Narutardedscum

You don't need special traits to enjoy a show, if you like the show, you like the show. Typically you'd need an open mind to watch my little pony though. Really anyone can be a brony, there isn't anything else to it besides enjoying the show.