Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the badges actually intimidate people?

Nightfall

Higher Ranks  

170 users have voted

1. 1. Are you/were you intimidated by higher ranking people?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Sort of. [Explain in your post.]

I was just thinking... Do the higher ranking badges, or even the mod badges, intimidate anyone?

Did they, at one point, intimidate you? I'm trying get an opinion on what people think the badges really do...

The badges have a way of blending together really well, in ways that other forums I've been on don't. For example, unlike some boards I've been on, the staff badges/ranks are not tons fancier than the member badges/ranks. They all look really cool and really simple in design, and I think it's for that reason that no, I don't find them intimidating, and never did, even when I was new here.

• Brohoof 1

Well I think it is basic human psychology to be intimidated by those considered superior. So yes, I was intimidate at first, and then I got to know the forums better and realized all of the higher ranks and the mods were really nice people. Including Feld0 so I am not intimidated any longer.

Not particularly. As long as I'm able to participate in conversations without other, higher badges looking down on me as if my opinions were lowly, I'm perfectly fine. And no one's really done that here, so it's all good.

• Brohoof 4

Not particularly. As long as I'm able to participate in conversations without other, higher badges looking down on me as if my opinions were lowly,

*scorn scorn scorn scorn*

Posted Image

• Brohoof 8

well for me the badges are just there and i dont rely care much for them, but i do think of them as mile stones at times.

i do get a bit nervous around mods and alorcorn becuase i like to speak my mind and argue for the sake of argueing which you cant rely do to a mod or site owner (but thats mainly because i got banned from alot of other forums for it)

Nope, not at all. I don't even look at them usualy. If they are a mod I treat them the same like everypony else here (if its Feld0 I might treat him a little nicer but thats it)

(edited)
I used to. Mods were just mods, those really scary people that no one likes, but I have learned that these are really nice people here. And I was stuck with the idea that those with the high badges were really well known and cool...and they still fit that description! Cool and laid back! Nice people all around! Edited by Kirby
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Sort of. I do not feel intimidated by them directly, however, if a high-ranking user posts critique on a post I made or I see my post has been edited by a mod or even Feld0 himself, I kinda get this nagging feeling that I might have angered them...

(Yes, one of my posts was edited by Feld0 for 'backseat modding'. Only thing I did was tell the person that he might have posted it in the wrong section. I wasn't trying to act like a mod, I did it to help the user who made the thread.)

Edited by WhiteLightning

Only parasprites intimidate me... the little devils... Never know what's going through their heads and I don't trust em

Hahaha!

*Reproduces at you aggressively*

Okay, but seriously speaking? No, not at all. I'm not really intimidated by it on any forum, admittedly. That stupid better than you elitism it sometimes engenders is certainly annoying, but not intimidating. Here, there's none of that, and I never feel it's stratified at all, everyone just chats and is cool about it.

I like the badges because it's always nice to have that little milestone on the horizon, but I don't feel they really mean anything.

Okay...the badges to intimidate me a bit, but simply because I'm afraid they may know something I do not, and make me feel stupid by pointing that out. I feel as if they demand respect through their badge, like I must work my hooves off to satisfy their supposed, if not imaginary expectations.

• Brohoof 1

I am not the least bit intimidated by the badges. Sure, a Feld0 post may warrant a second glance out of respect to the fact that is HIS forum after all.

I do think that there are some members that DO believe that they are superior because of their badge, which only proves that they have far more time to be on the internet, not that they are anymore knowledgable or insightful than they rest of us.

I'm not intimidated at all, not even from the beginning. This is probably because I've been around internet forums for about 8 years now. Don't get me wrong however. I have the utmost respect for the higher posters, and I value their opinions above my own when it comes to things about MLP

Because I am totally fucking terrifying.

BOO.

Lol, i doubt most people even care I have a brony badge.

Actually, I was really scared of you when I first joined...

I don't know if it was your picture, your badge, or the two together, but you really scared the fuck outta me

(edited)

Because I am totally fucking terrifying.

BOO.

Lol, i doubt most people even care I have a brony badge.

Actually, you were when I first came to the forum. :D I gave your badge a too quick look and thought you were a mod. Then I saw two of your comment and it gave me an impression you are a total ruthless badass gangsta brony Gilda swagger guy. Then I found out you're so nice and we've lived happily ever after ;). Edited by thegoodhen

Nope, never.

Although I understand why some people may find them scary but with exception to the staff I view them as an indicator to how long someone has been here. Not ranks of superiority.

...well maybe the parasprites scare me, there's just so many of them! :o

I think it sort of does, but I respect all members equally.

I mean, I WANT ranks. Though i'm not too crazy about it, i'm getting it naturally ny casually posting) I'd feel awesome to have a higher rank, but I need to earn it. I wouldn't have the same feeling if I instantly got it.

If I have a lower rank, i'd feel just a bit inferior to higher ranks, but not really fearful. They are just normal members like me, and have just spent more time around.

If I have a higher rank, I don't look down upon lower ranks. They shouldn't fear us, they are regular members like us, and eventually bet at the same rank as I am at.

But to be honest, I tend to use my phone for the forums, so mobile version can't even see ranks.