Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the badges actually intimidate people?

Nightfall

Higher Ranks  

170 users have voted

1. 1. Are you/were you intimidated by higher ranking people?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Sort of. [Explain in your post.]

For most they are a high rank because they be been here for ages.for me ts cause I just make loads of posts as quick as possible xD

I more repsect people for taking the time to make a fuck Ton of posts. Though we do need to make better posts.

When I first joined, I was actually. :huh:

Now and days, I don't really pay much attention to the badges.

Also, I agree. Badges are goals for me.

I really want to be at Crystal Pony before the year ends. :P

• Brohoof 1

Intimidated? Not so much. Although I might say that those with higher badges are often given more deference and praise(especially in brohoofs) based on their rank as opposed to the actual merit of their posts.

And I'd wish the same from people below whatever rank I have at that point in time.

You'll earn my respect by the substance of what you say, not by how often you say it.

• Brohoof 2

Does Anypony have a chart of which badge is what? To me, the badges here are very vague, but maybe that is just because I am a para sprite still ;). I don't normally care, but I have found generally the best way for a forum to handle badges is the "new member" emblem followed by no badge unless they end up as a mod. The new member badge being there only to let other ponies see who is new. Pretty much Anypony else is just "regular". Shrugs. Guess it means I do not really have a strong preference...

Edit: OMG OMG OMG! I just got my muffin cutie mark! How awesome is that! :) (just realized how brimming with irony that edit is, too...)

Edited by GreatAndPowerfulKaty

You'll earn my respect by the substance of what you say, not by how often you say it.

That's a fair point. I should probably clarify. I'd respect that the person has made it to such a level. Whether or not I respect the person themselves is completely irrelevant to whatever rank they have. And naturally, I'd expect the same of others towards me.

Edited by Unikitty

Nope.  None of the badges are reliably indicative of personal worth, intelligence, or any of that stuff there.  They generally correspond to post count.  Not one of them is bestowed upon a member for selflessly rescuing numerous frantic children from a burning building or the like.  You just...  Post.  Admittedly, I'm aiming for Pegasus rank, but that's largely to satisfy a personal desire and arbitrarily self-imposed goal.  (Pegasuseses are awesome, and Rainbow Dash - a lady Pegasus x3 - is particularly awesome.)

• Brohoof 2

I haven't really been here long enough to be familiar with the staff, but on other sites I usually don't notice who they are. It isn't very important to me and all of the decorations start to flow together after a while.

It's horrifyingly easy to gather brohoof count if you know where to post, and it's even easier to spam your way up to Unicorn rank once you have your sight set on it considering the sheer activities in this forum. You can open every single threads in a subforum and reply to all of them and viola, +20 post count in less than ten minutes. Repeat that daily and given enough time you'll be swimming in post count.

What I think really is intimidating is to see a trivial post getting seven to ten brohooves out of nowhere :wacko:

Edited by Starshine
  • Brohoof 2

When I first joined, I was actually. :huh:

Now and days, I don't really pay much attention to the badges.

Also, I agree. Badges are goals for me.

I really want to be at Crystal Pony before the year ends. :P

You need to put something like this on your profile page... "I need this badge / before the year ends..."  :P 

And no is my answer to this thread, btw.  :catface:

No.

I've been on enough sites with similar schemes to realize that badges, points, etc are mostly just a measure of how much time you waste on that particular site.

Besides which, to find them intimidating I'd need to remember which ones are ranked above mine. And apart from "Blank Flank" being first, I have absolutely no idea what order they are.

In fact, I have no idea what my own badge is anyway, though I suppose I'll see it when I hit the Post button below. I'll do that now.

• Brohoof 1

Why would they? They're bronies just like me. The badges just mean they've been here longer and did particular things.

I guess I'm not one to talk considering my own rank, but that's just it. I was once a blank flank yet here I am now.

Sweet Celestia, that feels like forever ago when I joined.  :blink:

• Brohoof 1

I never really felt intimidated by the badges.

I notice that people with high badges+brohooves get the most attention,but I just don't care about those numbers,because that's what they are,just numbers. You shouldn't like a person just because a badge. You should like it because its personality,its tastes and how it is.

The same applies for staff. If you ignore those badges,and don't judge them just for their position,they're just like you or me: normal people that wants to have a nice stay here.

'Intimidated' would be the wrong word, but I always have this idea that people with insane post counts are known by everyone and friends with everyone, which I will likely never be. It's not like they frighten me or anything though. I might be more likely to read what they have to say but it certainly won't make me more likely to agree with them.

If people see me with my 8 badges, they get intimidated easily, won't even fight me...

Anyway, back on topic: I don't feel any intimidation or hostility. Mainly because I don't expect to be a rulebreaker (unless these mods feel like banning me for funny reasons)

I'm not intimidated, just impressed by their longevity and that they achieved such a high post count. :)

average high ranking members, donors, and subscribers no because I'am one of them

Moderators, Administrators, and Staff on the other hand....

I wouldn't say they intimidate me.... though my heart does start to race when I see a new message, I think to myself "great what bullshit rule did I break this time"

so in a way kinda....and I tend to type a tad bit differently when a Staff is around....

No. I don't care if someone's posted more than me. Not even staff really intimidates me.

Nothing intimidates this strong and independent woman!