music Anypony else listen to music that's not in English or in your native turn?

Mcayon

I would much rather listen to something in Japanese over English, because in the Japanese language, the stressing of syllables does not exist. None of that, "toMAto" business. It's not "kaWAii" or "KAwaii", it's just... "kawaii". This could be a big part of why I like it. Also, the syllables themselves must just appeal to me. There's so many different noises we make when speaking English compared to speaking Japanese. a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko ta chi tsu te to, tons of them. They're all very short, quick noises that make up longer words. Take the word, "shore" for example. Try saying it slowly. Notice how much movement you make with your lips + tongue compared to, say, shi. Or any Japanese syllable. Compared to our one syllable words, Japanese has very simplistic sounding wording. Kawaii neko desu, or, it's a cute cat.

It's a bit hard for me to explain, because I hardly even understand the appeal of the way the language sounds to me, but it just does. Now, writing? lolno I'll stick to English for that.

• Brohoof 2

Out of pure chance a couple of years back, I stumbled upon a couple of Japanese covers for some Spanish songs. The second one is more of a phonetic interpretation it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few I suppose. Rammstein for sure lol I have all of their works and a bucktonne of merchandise :P

my friend introduced me to some other stuff as well which I enjoy. Like Apocalyptica, Crimfall. I am not a metal fan, so not so much those. I do love Die Fantastichen Vie haha.

I assume opera counts. Well, when it's not in English...

I tend to pay more attention to the music of a song rather than its lyrics, so having the lyrics in a different language would make it somewhat easier for me to pay attention to the musical elements, rather than trying to understand the "poetry" of the lyrics. Of course, I'm often curious what's actually being said (I love foreign languages), as that can open up another dimension to understanding the emotional power of the music. But to me the best music should be able to speak its own language without any need to understand the words that support it. I'm a little ambiguous on this aesthetic consideration...

• 1 year later...

I like to listen to rap that's not in english, such as:

• 4 months later...

I was going to make my own topic about this, but then I found out that a thread already existed for this... well, I'll be a good person and just post here instead then  :). Hopefully I can revive it maybe... :please:

I really love music in different languages  :squee:

I usually tend to listen to the more modern stuff (I know that automatically makes me disliked around here), but I'm willing to listen to older songs as well since I know that's what most people here like to listen to  :P

My favorites:

Puhu Äänellä Jonka Kuulen by Happoradio (Finnish)

Das Kann Uns Keiner Nehmen by Revolverheld (German)

Acasă by Smiley (Romanian, very beautiful language!)

(I recommend looking up the lyrics for this one)

Endeløst by Rasmus Walter (Danish)

The song I'm currently obsessed with is on my profile; right now it's Les Blessures Qui Ne Se Voient Pas by Florent Mothe (French)

I also like Swedish, Italian, and Estonian music a lot  :P

Edited by SparklingSwirls

Nope.  Well, maybe some, but it's not enough to be talked about.

I don't listen to that vocaloid stuff, I just don't like it that much.  Also, it's pretty hard to be exposed to music that's in any language except English, Hawaiian, Japanese, or Korean in Hawaii, and I'm not a particularly big fan of almost of the music from the latter three, probably because I can't understand them.

I can think of three:

Pino D'Angio- Ma Quale Idea

Sung entirely in Italian

Claude Francois- Cette Annee La

Basically a French version of "oh what a night"

Jordy- Dur Dur D'ete Bebe

I love this song, all in French: with a 90s House sound. I think the kid singing was like 4 years old at the time

Edited by Scootaloodle

Not really, though I have a couple songs from the Powerpuff Girls Z soundtrack on my phone. I have no clue what the heck the songs are saying but I totally jam out to the gibberish the songs are spewing. Japanese. I can't understand it but I can dig it.

Brazilian thrash metal legends Sepultura

and Swedish power metal juggernauts Sabaton

Surprising how the lyrics differ abit from the English verison

My dad also listens to alot of Russian, German, & Dutch goth bands

Edited by Denim&Venom

Well, I understand quite a bit of French now after self-learning it. But I used to listen to a lot of French music when I didn't speak French. My native language is English. (Or Australian if you want to get technical).

Edited by Colour