Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

3 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I'm not religious my self as in I don't adhere to any text or anything. I believe theres something out there, I don't know what. I believe in some form of afterlife, don't know what.

I've had the exact same view for most of my life :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm a atheist. I respect people who belief, but don't like religions or people who try to force their religion into my life. :grin:

3 hours ago, Califorum said:

I'm not religious my self as in I don't adhere to any text or anything. I believe theres something out there, I don't know what. I believe in some form of afterlife, don't know what.

Exactly. I like to call it a kind of dreamworld which is as beautiful as you lived your life and has anything you need in it. Family, friends, hakuna matata, etc. :dash:

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised no one else who's posted here is Roman Catholic (involved and practicing), but hey, I get to be the first.

As you might guess though, being Catholic has lead to some "grinding of gears" with things that have come out of modern society, but recently I've come to the realization I really don't need to worry about those things, and really anything negative, because in the end, everything's going to turn out good.  Which is why I've begun to look at things as God would; looking at only the good in everything, no matter how bad and beaten it is.

Also, one more thing I want to say, is that I don't feel "locked in" to Catholicism.  I am happy to be Catholic, as it has provided me with opportunities to know God more closely, and being able to talk to God as a close friend who's always there, gives me a lot of joy and comfort. :)

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Shabb3r said:

UNPOPULAR STATEMENT THAT MIGHT CAUSE OFFENCE -

I am a Muslim. 

"Say: He is God, One. God, the Eternal refuge. He neither begets, nor was He begotten. And there is nothing comparable or equal to Him." (Quran: Chapter 112, Verses 1 to 4)

No offense taken; as long as you're a good person, I don't have any issue with your beliefs! :)

• Thanks 1

I'm an atheist, because I think most religions just sound totally ridiculous, not to mention I have an extreme hatred for religious fundamentalism of any variety. I respect other people's religious beliefs as long as you don't force them on everyone else, and use it as an excuse for bigotry or to say you should be treated in a special way.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, Something Floaty said:

I am an atheist, but sometimes I think about maybe beginning to practice a religion that doesn't exist anymore, or is dying out. Start publicly worshiping the ancient Greco-Roman Gods, or the Norse Pantheon, or the Egyptian Gods. Maybe build a small Aztec temple. There's a Christian denomination known as the Shakers, part of their belief system includes complete celibacy by all members, meaning they can only increase their flock by conversion. There are only two of them left. I just feel like, man, that sucks, you know? Maybe I should restart one of these religions, I kind of feel bad that they're not taken seriously anymore. We call the ancient Greek gods and goddesses "mythology". The only difference between them and modern-day religions is that there are still people practicing the modern-day ones. There is the same amount of evidence available to support the existence of Zeus or Thor or Anubis or Quetzalcoatl as there is for "God". I say it's long past time some of these ancient religions got a revival. Maybe 2000 years from now there will be a completely different set of religions dominating the globe and bored kids in history class will learn about ancient Christian/Islamic/Jewish/Hindu mythology. Who knows?! But at least they'll know that even we today still make fun of the Scientologists. 

Actually, people do still practice the ancient beliefs. As a whole, it's called "Neopaganism" and as a Wiccan, I fall under that category myself.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, Hierok said:

I'm a atheist. I respect people who belief, but don't like religions or people who try to force their religion into my life. :grin:

ugh... same. The Wiccan community actually speaks against this. Whatever religion works for you at this stage shouldn't be judged. Most religions are the same basic idea anyways, so why argue?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, Shabb3r said:

UNPOPULAR STATEMENT THAT MIGHT CAUSE OFFENCE -

I am a Muslim. 

"Say: He is God, One. God, the Eternal refuge. He neither begets, nor was He begotten. And there is nothing comparable or equal to Him." (Quran: Chapter 112, Verses 1 to 4)

It's all chill. I've read up a bit on Islam, considering the current world issues, and it can be quite beautiful, not to different from the other Abrahamic practices. Don't feel ashamed, it's what works for you andd helps you keep along in life, is it not?

16 hours ago, Momento Mori said:

Paganism, Follower of the Twilight Path. Which is Death Worship. 

I'm a Mortician, so it's fitting. 

No it's not Satanic, no it's not Evil.

Any questions you may direct to here or PM.

Sometimes it's healthy to be in touch with your dark side. Shadow work such as that can help us to overcome obstacles in life, understand our struggles. I'm sure you've had plenty a strange experience as mortician, so I'd say this is certainly fitting as you suggest

(edited)

I'm a nondenominational protestant.

For those unfamiliar with the term, "protestant" is any Christian denomination that does not believe in the authority of the Pope over the church, such as Lutheranism (whom get a lot of their interpretations of the Bible from two books known as Luther's small and large catechisms) and Calvanism (a denomination with more of a focus on moral deeds than others, which tend to focus more on faith in Jesus). I Grew up in a Lutheran household, but as I learned more about what Martin Luther stood for, the less I felt Lutheranism was an appropriate denomination. Luther rebelled against the pope and the old Roman Catholic church for many reasons, but one of which included the way the church (back then) would discourage people from finding their own interpretation of the Bible, insisting the only people capable of comprehending the deeper meaning behind the scripture were the priests. Yet the reason that drove me to leave Lutheranism is the same, I feel modern Lutheran churches rely too heavily on the catechism, and in a way, are telling their members what to think in the same way Luther's old church had, claiming only their interpretation is the correct one.

I still believe in God, and I still believe in Jesus, however, I feel that the interpretation of the Bible is best left to each individual reading it. Especially when the creation of the Bible as we know it today is taken into consideration. The Romans had a habit of homogenizing every similar concept into one and calling it the same; it's why many of them worshiped the same pantheon as Greece, only under different names. And even the date of Christmas, December 25th, was originally a festival of the solstice to celebrate the rebirth of Sol Invictus, a sun god whom Rome claimed was the same as Yahweh simply because they were similar. In the same way, The Bible as we know it today was originally edited together by Rome, who put their own culture in it, declaring it as the definitive Holy text of the church while leaving out important documents, such as the gospel of Mary Magdalene, for no other reason than because she was a woman... I feel I'm getting a little off topic. My point is, I don't see the Bible as an unshakable end all be all to Christian faith, and I believe it is full of about as much "red ink" so to speak as Bart Simpson's graded math quiz. That isn't to say I don't believe there is any truth in it at all, far from that, I simply believe that when one reads it, they should keep in mind all that it has gone through, take it with a grain of salt, and come to their own conclusions. These beliefs do not fall into any category I know of in the Christian church, therefore, "nondenominational protestant" is the closest thing I can find to describe my beliefs.

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Brohoof 1

I believe in being a good person, living right by my friends and my family. Doing good by those who do good in kind. I pray, and try to live an honest life. No formal religion, but a student of many beliefs.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There are a lot of Atheists on here.

I myself am a practicing Catholic and I believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit, also known as "The Divine Trinity". I also have a patron Saint that I like to pray to almost every night, his name is Saint Jude, and he was one of the original Disciples of Jesus himself, which I must say, is pretty flipping awesome! B)

Everyone in my family is also a Catholic, I've been one since birth. 

Image result for saint jude image.jpeg.6a56af6cd364d5db2099591304f48a91.jpeg

The guy with the staff is Saint Jude, and the other picture depicts Jesus, God, and the Dove as The Holy Spirit 

Edited by King of Canterlot
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I am an agnostic whom believes in a higher power but does not conform to a particular faith. I don’t typically view deities the same way as do the abrahamic religions and such. I had dabbled in esotericism which lead to me coming to the belief that a higher power drives the metaphysical truths of our reality. I don’t believe in the conventional idea of a god more so I believe in the higher power behind the great truths of nature and our universe and beyond. I just say I am agnostic because I think it describes my beliefs the best under a term. I also dabbled into dark subjects concerning spiritual satanism whilest I was in my post Christian phase it did help me become an independent mind though it was a cool experience.

D3B6BA88-246D-4BED-B6AE-698AC7BB4C28.jpeg

Edited by The Whiteraven

I'm a Catholic.Was one since birth,both my parents are Roman Catholics from Mexicó where the Catholic church is very big.

I read the bible,Go to church at least twice a week,and pray the Rosary with my family everyday we don't go to church on weekdays.Most of this is beacuse I have a religious mother.If I got to choose i'd at least go to church once a week and read the Bible But I have to do all these as long as i'm still living with my parents.I'm not religious like my mother but I still believe God and Jesus are real and spend some time going to church and reading the Bible weekly for my spirituality.

20 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

There are a lot of Atheists on here.

I myself am a practicing Catholic and I believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit, also known as "The Divine Trinity". I also have a patron Saint that I like to pray to almost every night, his name is Saint Jude, and he was one of the original Disciples of Jesus himself, which I must say, is pretty flipping awesome! B)

Everyone in my family is also a Catholic, I've been one since birth. 

Image result for saint jude image.jpeg.6a56af6cd364d5db2099591304f48a91.jpeg

The guy with the staff is Saint Jude, and the other picture depicts Jesus, God, and the Dove as The Holy Spirit 

Yeah,better get used to seeing a lot more. XD

Anyways,it's nice to meet another fellow Catholic.Keep the faith strong brother. :3

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I am Hindu, pretty much polytheistic, you are reborn in a new position based on deeds of your life, no eternal punishment (forever is a long time and nobody deserves it, eventually they will have suffered as they have inflicted yet they continue to suffer. I never liked that idea.)

however I refuse to use my Vedas as science textbooks, we've all seen were that lead Europe in the dark ages and the crusades, and with the Middle East in the death of its scientific advancement. I listen to the words of hawking, Tyson, and Goodall before the highest priest of lord Shivva.

i use it only for my spiritual needs, though I attack any sort of belief that holds promise of Devine punishment for those who look elsewhere.

Edited by kaiser5578
  • Brohoof 2

On March 25, 2018 at 11:28 PM, Momento Mori said:

Paganism, Follower of the Twilight Path. Which is Death Worship. 

I'm a Mortician, so it's fitting. 

No it's not Satanic, no it's not Evil.

Any questions you may direct to here or PM.

Would you care to tell me a few of the base concepts? I personally have a deep interest in religions and this is oboe the second I was unaware of.