Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

I'm an atheist in the sense that I'm unconvinced of an all knowing being that governs the universe.

However I do consider myself shaman, in the practice of medicine and meditation of my native american heritage. I view magick and science as intertwined, and that the unseen world might have something to do with string theory, quantum mechanics and the akashic record. That probably sounds odd but I don't know how else to explain it

I also like the free, rebellious philosophy of satanism but I don't know enough about it to call myself one. For the sake of simplicity, I'm an atheist

• Brohoof 3

I honestly don't even know anymore. All I know is that I am, some form of Christian. I don't know what you'd call it. :derp:

Edited by Lucky Bolt

I currently try to stay away from religious matters. I am not religious. I would be one of those persons who chooses a religion when it is required of me.

I respect everyone's believes!

• Brohoof 3

I grew up in a strange family, they believe in God, but they have never gone to a church or think of going to one, since they do not trust any church for the crimes committed by the Catholic Church during the dictatorship in my country. They simply believe that there is a very good god who had good intentions and takes care of them wherever they go. They are very good people. Anyway, they are very open-minded and agree that I am currently interested in learning about Buddhism.

On 7/20/2015 at 6:29 PM, Alastor said:

I am kinda unsure, however, I think it would be Christianity (or at least the Icelandic messed up version). It is just that I don't want to believe that when I die, I become nothingness. It is a very depressing thought, so I like to believe there is a higher power out there and that when you die, you don't dissolve into nothingness, that the soul lives on. 

Things have changed a lot. 

I am a rather agnostic person, but I do have a great sense of spirituality and I have a constructed system for beliefs. I believe that all religions have a variation of sense or truth to them, but I believe them all to be locational and not all-encompassing. I believe that Ásatrú holds power in the North, in Scandinavia, Northern Germany and Iceland. I believe that Finnic paganism holds power in Finland, Northern Scandinavia among the Sami, Estonia and North Western Russia. I believe Romuva and other Baltic religions hold power in the Baltics and in the old Prussian (Pruthenian) territories. You can see where this is all coming from. 

For myself, I am a part of the Ásatrú, though it is mostly for cultural and ancestral reasons as I still hold rather agnostic views. 

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Obligatory image of my tattoo

Tattoo.thumb.jpg.d3dfad92e3d19aec51a75e13ee9c929b.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

I don't have a religion. That means, I don't even choose a category that specify I don't believe in something, just because that is still considered a religion. No religion.

None?

I have learned from many of them, come and go from several but never stick to any because they are all flawed in some way or another, all of them have very good positive things but they stomp in each others feet or hurt themselves in their confusion and all of them are made for a certain groups of people that connect with each of them but not between them in a universal constant because there's always details that change the core of understanding of each of them, which is normal but it cancels them out. Any of them could be true or false from an individual perspective and there's no real universal answer. At least that's what I've come to understand.

So I just live by whatever sounds more reasonable at the time of need if i need it. Sometimes Catholic, sometimes satanist, or spiritual, or atheist, or buddhist, or polytheist, pagan, but generally speaking i'm not religious at all but neither atheist nor spiritual. I don't feel like any.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:56 AM, Pastel Heart said:

I'm an atheist in the sense that I'm unconvinced of an all knowing being that governs the universe.

However I do consider myself shaman, in the practice of medicine and meditation of my native american heritage. I view magick and science as intertwined, and that the unseen world might have something to do with string theory, quantum mechanics and the akashic record. That probably sounds odd but I don't know how else to explain it

I also like the free, rebellious philosophy of satanism but I don't know enough about it to call myself one. For the sake of simplicity, I'm an atheist

Update to add to this 

I have read the Satanic Bible since then and I can now officially say I'm a Satanist~ it aligns with my personal philosophy and outlook to a T.

Edited by Pastel Heart
clarification

I guess I will post here jus cuz why not. I'm not religious cuz I dun think belief is gud and also yea I'm not really follower of other things. Tho I do have a philosophy of sorts and views and all that ya. Some of buddhism things have useful practical value but ye generally I just do and use whatever ideas make the most sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ooh this is an interesting topic as I love reading about different religions and their history & development! I am always super fascinated by people considering themselves religious telling me about their beliefs in detail. :o

I am an optimistic, existential nihilist myself though and below are some tidbits of what that means in my specific case:

Under the current empirical evidence I find it the most rational thing to believe that life has no objective meaning, destination or natural value. Humans are simply organisms in the vast churning endlessness that is dictated only by laws of physics, and as such it is useless to try to anthropomorphize it to be some kind of magical thing even if we as a species are particularly good at that. I simply say "I do not know" at the wonders of the universe that are gaps in my knowledge instead of automatically connecting it with something that cannot be proven and closing the book on that note. I will simply wait for the relevant concrete evidence of a thing to eventually come by as it generally always has done throughout history as science develops, if it is to appear during my short lifetime. If not, well... then I will die just a little bit more stupid than the next generation but it is what it is lol!

The optimism comes from the fact that I do my best not to fall into the usual nihilistic pitfalls such as the endless pessimism it is often caricatured as, the thoughts of "life has no meaning so what's even the point?" and such.

Life doesn't need to have any objective meaning or "point" behind it, for while baseline existence itself just might be objectively meaningless, we can all determine our purpose and goals ourselves and do what we want to do in the short time that we have. It is in fact much more relieving in the end, of course as far as I personally see it with all due respect to the religious folks. I am not judged by some entity and thrown in a DOOM level without any weapons, or any other of the billion trillion depictions of a scary punishment for a naughty person who didn't believe in thing X or Y.

I can simply do what I wish to do, be who I want to be and achieve what I wish to achieve within the respectful boundaries of what has been deemed non-detrimental to others in our societies who have their own sets of aspirations and live life to its fullest... until my lifespan has simply run its course and my brains one day cease their functions. :catface:

• Brohoof 2

I am a Jedi. Yes its a real religion with several training orders etc out there. I've followed many religious philosophies over my lifetime and this is the one that fits me best. Its also the only one I've found that can grow with me. Been on the path since 2015 and a Knight since around 2016. Its done a lot of good for me and I've met some great people along the way. 

I've pretty much been a classical deist most of my life, just didn't know what it was called til I was in my early teens. My early religious disagreements and interest in the founding fathers of the U.S. lead me down this path. 

Most of my family are either southern Baptist or Catholic, so the conversation can get awkward at times.

Hard to accurately describe my religion. I was raised Catholic, although I’m a bit more questionable about the practice itself among Catholics (saints, baptism of infants, etc).. Things are clearer for me now. I’m not where I need to be.

• Brohoof 1