Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Mane Six and the Sorting Hat (Discussion)

Silverwisp the Bard

Pinkie Pie with her basement of facts on all the ponies would be in Ravenclaw.  With her photographic memory for details it is a great fit.  She would constantly vex Twilight with her unorthodox methods who would also be a Ravenclaw.

Rainbow Dash is pure Gryffindor -- no doubt about it -- but so is AJ.  AJ is all about family//loyalty and honesty.  She goes where other ponies fear to tread (out into the chimera lands).  She has the bravery. 

Fluttershy would be a parcel-mouth being able to talk to snakes among other animal creatures.  Her best friend Rarity would be in Slytherin and she would follow her into that school even if she might fit better elsewhere.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash: Gryffindor - Brave and Cheeky

Pinkie Pie: Gryffindor - "Giggle at the ghostly"

Twilight: Ravenclaw - Obvious smart type and would probably be sorted before making friends

Fluttershy: Gryffindor - Will agree with consensus here, has hidden bravery

Rarity: Hufflepuff - Very hard working and embodies generosity, wouldn't accept Slytherin

Applejack: Hufflepuff - Very hard working and honest.

CMC: Gryffindor - All 3 have been known to do brave (stupid) things in order to help out/earn their Cutie Marks.

Spike: Hufflepuff - Hard working and doesn't really suit any of the others

Big Mac: Hufflepuff - Very hard working and shy

Lady Smith: Ravenclaw - Shown to have above average intelligence throughout the series

Shining Armor: Ravenclaw - Kinda smart like her sister, and doesn't brake enough rules for Gryffindor

Trixie: Slytherin - Has desire to be the best, not sure how cunning she is though

Gilda: Gryffindor - Cheeky and I feel she is brave, and she is a Gryffon duh

Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon: Slytherin - Both cruel and have an ability to take over the playground

Cherilee: Ravenclaw - Obviously has some intelligence in order to become a teacher.

Mr./Mrs. Cake: Hufflepuff - Very hard working

Starlight Glimmer: Slytherin - Probably the most cunning pony in the whole series

Head of Gryffindor: Princess Luna

Head of Ravenclaw: Celestia

Head of Hufflepuff: Princess Cadence

Head of Slytherin: Discord

Twilight: Ravenclaw

AJ: Gryffindor

Rainbow Dash: Gryffindor

Fluttershy: Hufflepuff

Pinkie: Gryffindor (She's like Fred and George)

Rarity: Slytherin

Head of Slytherin: Discord

I'd prefer to keep Snape. Sorry :wub:  :blush:  

Twilght would be RavenClaw

Fluttershy would be HufflePuff

Rainbow Dash would be Gryffindor

Pinkie Pie would be HufflePuff

Applejack would be  Gryffindor

Rarity would be Slytherian

Spike would be Gryffindor

Apple Bloom would be Gryffindor

Sweetie Belle would be Hufflepuff

Scootaloo would be Gryffindor

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, here's my take on where the Mane Six should go. A lot of them were obvious. Some, not as much.

The easy:

Applejack - Hufflepuff

Applejack is defined by her honesty and hard work, no more, no less. While she is certainly brave, unlike a Gryffindor she is able to put her sentiment aside in order to do what needs to be done. And unlike a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin, she is happy where she is and doesn't have a strong desire to learn more or improve. 

Rainbow Dash - Gryffindor

Rainbow Dash's actions are largely influenced by her pride and bravery. Like a Gryffindor, she is emotionally volatile and will often put her emotions above what is practical. Though she is ambitious, her goals are much more short term and motivated by personal fulfillment rather than measurable achievement like a Slytherin. Overall, her bravery and impulsive sense of adventure are what make her a Gryffindor for sure.

Twilight Sparkle - Ravenclaw

Even though Twilight does have ambition to do well and impress her mentor, the bottom line is that Twilight wants to learn anything and everything no matter where it takes her in life. This openmindedness and intellect is her defining character trait, and is what makes her Ravenclaw.

Rarity - Slytherin

Rarity is a workaholic who is ambitious to a fault, often setting aside her own personal needs to achieve her goals. Like a Slytherin, she is unafraid to use manipulation to get what she wants, though her intentions are generally good. She is, of course, very highly motivated, if not somewhat of a diva. But that emotional volatility is part of what makes her Slytherin in the first place.

The hard:

Fluttershy - Gryffindor

I think all of us can agree that Fluttershy is definitely neither a Ravenclaw nor a Slytherin. She has no ambition to achieve greatness like Rarity, nor does she pursue knowledge like Twilight. This leaves Hufflepuff and Gryffindor, and to be honest I think she would do well in both. But if Fluttershy were truly a Hufflepuff, she would have remained in her cottage helping her animal friends. She would have never had the courage to slay beasts, conquer villains, or even make friends at all.

One of the defining traits of a Gryffindor is bravery. But what we often forget is that bravery is not measured by your fearlessness, but rather how well you can conquer your fears. For someone as confident as Rainbow Dash, that is easy, making her an obvious choice for the house. But since Fluttershy starts with so many fears already, it's sometimes hard for us as the audience to see how brave some of her smaller actions really are. So I understand those who are inclined to write her off as a Hufflepuff, but there's a lot more to her than that. 

Pinkie Pie - Hufflepuff?

Alright, I'm stumped here. Pinkie Pie's defining motivation is making other ponies happy, something that a lot of her episodes focus on. This pursuit isn't particularly ambitious, nor is it very brave in the general sense. One could argue Pinkie to be a Ravenclaw because she is so invested in her "hobby", but she doesn't make friends to learn more about them. She only befriends ponies so that she can be their friends and make them happy.

This leaves Hufflepuff, the house that takes the rest. And, to be honest, where else could Pinkie go? At Hogwarts, she wouldn't care at all about house divides. She would befriend everyone, try everything, do anything she could to make everyone smile. Therefore, Hufflepuff would be the house that she would go in by default. But if there were an option, she would be houseless.

• 4 weeks later...

Gryffindors

Rainbow Dash

Applejack

Princess Celestia

Applebloom

Scootaloo

Daring do

Shining armor

Slytherins

Rarity

Sweetie belle

Discord

Starswirl the bearded

Trixie

Flim flam bros

Filthy rich

Diamond tiara

Photo finish

That tenderhoof or whatever

Fancy pants

Sombra

Lightning dust

Tirek

Ravenclaws

Princess luna

Zecora

Octavia

Minuette

Moondacer

Lyra

And the other who attends the gifted unicorn school

Dr. Hooves

Muad pie

Strong cases

Pinkie pie

Hufflepuffs

Pinkie pie

Fluttershy

Princess cadance

Big mac

Miss cheerilee or however you spell it

The cakes

Vinyl scratch

Hatstalls

Twilight (gryffindor/Ravenclaw)

Sunset shimmer (gryffindor/ Slytherin)

Wonderbolts captain (gryffindor/slytherin)

Squibs

Snips

Snails

Edited by Yanks1987

This is where I'd put them based on the qualities associated with the houses:

(This doesn't think I mean Sweetie Belle is evil though as not all Slytherins are evil, the same way not all members of the other three houses are good)

Griffindor (bravery, daring, nerve and chivalry)

Celestia

Rainbow Dash

Applebloom

Scootaloo

Shining Armor

Spitfire

Limestone Pie

Gilda

Fancy Pants

Daring Do

Ravenclaw (intelligence, knowledge and wit)

Luna

Twilight Sparkle

Zecora

Sunset Shimmer

Starlight Glimmer

Starswirl

Trixie

Moondancer

Hufflepuff (hard work, dedication, patience, loyalty and fair play)

Cadance

Applejack

Pinkie Pie

Rarity

Fluttershy

Spike

Big Mac

Granny Smith

Babs Seed

Soarin

Pipsqueak

Mr and Mrs Cake

Igneous Rock Pie

Cloudy Quartz Pie

Maud Pie

Marble Pie

Coco Pommel

Derpy

Cheerilee

Slytherin (ambition, cunning and resourcefulness)

Sweetie Belle

Diamond Tiara

Filthy Rich

Spoiled Rich

Silver Spoon

Discord

Chrysalis

Sombra

Tirek

Flim

Flam

Lightning Dust

Blueblood

Suri Polomare

Wind Rider

Edited by Rainbow Cloud

• 11 months later...

I have to disagree with a lot of people here about Pinkie Pie. I will argue to the end of time that she would be in Slytherin. Pinkie is deceptively cunning, and you can't tell me that wanting to befriend every being in existence isn't ambitious. I bet she'd beg the Sorting Hat to put her there just so she could lighten up the place. She'd probably be the longest hat-stall in history.

As for favorite class, I highly doubt it would be Divination. Pinkie has always been a "go with the flow" sort, and she's never really showed interest in figuring out how her Pinkie Sense works. I think her favorite would be Potions since it's basically cooking, something she's really good at.

• Brohoof 1

If you are going to include the CMCs in this then

Scootaloo is definitely a Gryffindor.  Her best class is Quidditch.

Sweetie & Apple Bloom are more Huffle Puff.  AB's best class is Potions. Sweetie, IDK.  She isn't dumb but is more in to non academic stuff like fashion. If there is a theater group, she's in it.

Pinkie.  I don't see her in Gryffindor.  I point to her behavior in Feeling Pinkie Keen.  She is NOT brave.  She is, however, usually utterly oblivious to the concept that things might try to hurt her (even things that are actively trying to kill her).  When she DOES notice, she either freaks out or freezes.  She usually doesn't  try to fight, just plays rough with the Bad Guys.  I point to Canterlot Wedding, part 2 her actions vs. the Changelings.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Twilight Sparkle

House: Ravenclaw

Wand: Unicorn hair/Elderwood

Favorite class: Arithmancy/History Of Magic

Applejack

House: Hufflepuff

Wand: Phoenix feather/Applewood

Favorite class: Herbology

Fluttershy

Wand: Unicorn hair/Acaciawood

Favorite class: Care Of Magical Creatures

Rarity

House: Slytherin

Wand: Dragon heartstring/Elmwood

Favorite class: Transfiguration

Rainbow Dash

House: Gryffindor

Wand: Dragon heartstring/Cedarwood

Favorite class: Flying/Defense Against The Dark Arts

Pinkie Pie

Wand: Phoenix feather/Dogwood

Favorite class: Potions

Spike

Wand: Unicorn hair/Alderwood

Favorite class: Defense Against The Dark Arts

Apple bloom

Wand: Unicorn hair/Firwood

Favorite class: Herbology/Potions

Sweetie Belle

Wand: Dragon heartstring/Maplewood

Favorite class: Charms

Scootaloo

House: Gryffindor

Wand: Phoenix feather/Redwood

Favorite class: Flying/History Of Magic(surprisingly)

Sunset Shimmer

Wand: Phoenix feather/Blackthornwood

Favorite class: Defense Against The Dark Arts

Starlight Glimmer

Wand: Dragon heartstring/Aspenwood

Favorite class: Ancient Runes

As an aside, does anybody else think it would be hilarious if Pinkie turned the Chamber Of Secrets into a party database like she has at home?

• 3 months later...