Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestrian religion?

I_wesley125

I don't think they are religious. I've never seen a church or anything in Ponyville. Also, I don't think they would have religion in a kid's show XD

But still, they have guns and sex off screen
  • Brohoof 3

Trollestia and Luna are immortal and the only two alicorns in Equestria, as far as we know.

Trollestia is the ruler of all Equestria, too.

Either they're goddesses, or they ate one of those invincibility stars from SMB. And the last time I checked, goddesses count as religion.

Most (ancient) religions come from trying to explain nature and how it works. In Equestria however they have no need for such explanations since they themselves control nature and the world around them.

Since the need never came up I would like to believe that they never invented religion, since religion is a human concept. The Princesses aren't Gods necessarily but they are certainly the most powerful ponies we have seen in the show. In the show though they are viewed more like Monarchs than deities.

• Brohoof 2

Sidenote, it is a mistake to think that Science and Religion are mutually exclusive.

Seriously, I think it will be forever intentionally avoided as subject matter within the show, just like how they rightly dodged the possible inclusion of the word "Faith" in Feeling Pinkie Keen. Or another equivalent example would be sexuality. They're aiming at 7-year old girls for pete's sake.

Non-seriously, obviously they worship Celestia and Luna as the deities they are.

• Brohoof 3

This being a children's show aside, I think... that they don't have religion. They have a government monarchy but I really don't think there is anything in terms of religion. There have been, to my knowledge, no known hints that they believe in a higher power nor that they have certain beliefs on the creation of Earth and that Equestria may or may not be some chosen land, etc.

In the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen, I don't agree with how people have taken it for a show about religion. And even if it was, I think it's generalizing ALL religion as "Just because you can't explain something, doesn't mean it isn't true". But even so, I think it was just meant to be a silly Pinkie Pie version of people with "senses" because EVERYONE has heard of people who might say something like, "I know it's going to rain because my knee gets sore" or something along those lines.

Such things are nothing but superstitions and the like. Does it make it religious? No.

Anyway, I think they believe in magic and science and friendship.

• Brohoof 1

No religion, it seems in all children's cartoons, except religious ones, naturally, has some sort of absence of religion.

Except adventure time, Oh my glob!

I don’t think they’ll ever have a religion shown, due to the risk of involving bias among the cartoon and the parent company Hasbro. Celestia and Luna are an interesting concept though, and probably the closest the show will get to the subject.

They don't have a religion. If they do, it would definitely be made-up and even then, a few bums will immediately call out "Paganism" and the episode would be censored like that one South Park episode. But if you want a religion:

Celestia and Luna are probably the closest thing to a religion but it's more nationalism than a religion. However, Celestia and Luna are basically goddesses as they can manipulate the sun and moon. Perhaps being immortal (but I'd like to think they age at an abnormally slow rate).

They have some sense of religion, but not like that of our own. They likely believe in an afterlife of some sort.

I remember seeing what appeared to be a cross in the backround during one of the shots of Ponyville but I doubt they are Christian unless they adopted the religion like other human related mannerisms and architecture.

I have mixed views on their view of Celestia and Luna, some probably see them as goddesses but others may just worship them in the sense of them being their great monarchs. History proves that powerful leaders can become reveared like gods so that may be a part of it.

They have some sense of religion, but not like that of our own. They likely believe in an afterlife of some sort.

I remember seeing what appeared to be a cross in the backround during one of the shots of Ponyville but I doubt they are Christian unless they adopted the religion like other human related mannerisms and architecture.

I have mixed views on their view of Celestia and Luna, some probably see them as goddesses but others may just worship them in the sense of them being their great monarchs. History proves that powerful leaders can become reveared like gods so that may be a part of it.

*cough*North Korea*cough*
  • Brohoof 1

I've never much thought that they have real religions in the same sense as we do. The influence from Celestia's long life, if anything, has resulted in something more...paganistic, so to speak. It's not the word I want but it's the closest I can think of, since I mean that they stick more to a philosophy than a true religion. They have beliefs, and they have sacred ceremonies and so on, but I don't think many of them actually view Celestia as a goddess or anything like that.

Primarily because they've never given her that sort of reverence. Even at the Summer Sun Celebration we saw in Twilight's Cutie Mark story, it seemed more like Celestia was going through a role, leading a ceremony rather than being worshipped. The way the Mane Six interact with the Princess throughout various episodes also demonstrates that while they respect her as royalty, they don't worship her. Notice too how the Cakes acted in Bird in the Hoof, where they were almost a bit too informal even when it comes to royalty.

It meshes with the notion I've had that Celestia and Luna aren't immortal. They live long lives, and may in fact never die of old age, but they're not invulnerable, perfect beings. Celestia always has guards around, for instance, in a way that strikes me as odd unless she really does need them. True, they could be ceremonial...but I doubt it.

I really love the idea of a god ruling over a country in person. I mean that would be perfect, like Equestria (except when another god comes, of course)

Now, while I think it's clear ponies don't worship Celestia, I'd say thats just because thats not something she would want, you know. She does seem to like being around normal ponies and being treated as an equal. People worship gods because supposedly they were told to do so. Celestia didn't, so they don't worship her, though they still honour her as their perfect leader,

Edited by Eenohay
  • Brohoof 1

The closest thing to religion Equestria has is the Diarchy between Celestia and Luna (though Luna is rarely reviered as a ruler, I would consider her part of a diarch), seeing as both are much older than the other ponies and rarely age (almost implying they're everlasting.) On the other hand Celestia interacts with the otherponies on a very personal level (well, very personal for a Princess).

So, I don't see why there would be any religion. :unsure:

• Brohoof 1

I've seen no evidence in the show to support that they have a religion. But, even if they had a religion, they probably wouldn't show it in the episodes since religion is deemed too controversial to be on a little kids show that's aimed at little kids of all faiths.