Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 3 not as good as season 2?

Rainbow Derp

Don't get me wrong I'm loving season 3 so far, but I can't help but feel that season 3 is sort of a step down from season 2... There really haven't been any memorable moments, the plots of the newer episodes have been painfully predictable, and for some reason it just seems a little watered down compared to season 2, almost like it's leaning more towards the little girl side (I know that is the targeted demographic)... I mean there have been some great episodes... "Sleepless in Ponyville" has to be one of my top 5 mlp episodes of all time, there have been tons of references to fan fiction (but kinda sad Derpy still hasn't made a legit appearance :( ), and the animation is improved... I thoroughly enjoyed each episode but imo I feel that season 2 episodes had a little more depth... What do you guys think?

Edited by Rainbow Derp
  • Brohoof 1

Put simply, I think Season 3 is actually just as in depth as the other seasons, if not more so. 

I believe even DHX media made the comment that working on only 13 episodes allowed them to put more quality and time into the making of the show/episodes of season 3. 

But let's face it: A lot of the great plot foundations the show had in the beginning have been exhausted, such as the use of the Elements of Harmony in battle. But, take it with a grain of salt. We may just be getting too used to the show. There is some element of the show being predictable, but I am sure the animators and story artists will attempt to "wow" the fans anyway they can. 

With that said, the only episode I found "off" was the season premiere. But Too Many Pinkie Pies, One Bad Apple, Magic Duel, and Sleepless in Ponyville were all top notch in my opinion! And with that said, I am definitely looking forward to Wonderbolts Academy this week! 

• Brohoof 12

I must I agree with you on all accounts.

It's really starting to worry me on how much the show's quality has gone down since season 2,

Whatever happened to it being a bit darker like we heard from before this season even started

Although, the Two Many Pinkie Pies episode was another fairly decent one along with Sleepless in Ponyville

Aye. Season three seems like a step down from season 2. Maybe because they're running out of ideas. I didn't see any "Dear Princess Celestia" thing in the end of the episodes, but maybe we should wait until they release more episodes to judge it correctly.

You know, I've heard several people complain about this, and I have to say I don't get it. I haven't found any issues with season 3 so far other than the disappointing 13 episode length. 

Hell, Sleepless in ponyville is now one of my favorite episodes, and One Bad Apple had an awesome CMC song. I think Too many Pinkie Pies has been the worst so far, and even that one is pretty descent.

I have a feeling Wonderbolt Academy is going to be great.

• Brohoof 7

Ponies are ponies--dictating whether or not a season is better than the last is inevitable; however, this season is alright. I've probably outwardly laughed more at this season than any before--though the "Depth" of the series is "lacking" just because, probably, it's being viewed episode by episode instead of the whole season in general. Did I think the first two episodes were great? In comparison to how season 1 started--yes. Do I think for the generation it was made for that this season is good? Yes. 

1. Dealt with bullying--they did it in a great way that is something we can all relate to. This episode, Bab Seed was actually a great take on bullying--since it delt with two factors; A. The Family factor B. "Talk with an adult" 
2. Fear--correlates with the fear within us all.

Where is this season going? I am thinking at the end of this season, our Cutie Mark Crusaders will have cutie marks--just on the basis of Bab Seed and the last episode. What dictates this? Coming of age--shows that one, if not all, of them are growing up and becoming less of a blank flank.

Are the episodes lacking? No. They externally aren't. I just think that pony fans are just becoming too picky. 

Edited by #1 Flutterfan
  • Brohoof 4

I just think that pony fans are just becoming too picky. 

I think that season 3 has been great so far and the creators have done a wonderful job at creating the new episodes. I really have nothing negative to say about the new episodes besides them taking out a character that we all know and love :( .... but besides that the show has remained true to its quality since season 1 to me at least. 

• Brohoof 1

Like I said, I enjoyed each episode, I didn't find any episodes bad... (just shows you how good this show is) I loved the cmc song, "Too Many Pinkie Pies" had some real good laughs in it, and I'm sure I will enjoy Wonderbolt's academy, because I love the wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash... anyways why am I judging the whole season now it's only at the halfway point! :) let's just sit back and enjoy the ride!

• Brohoof 1

I just think that pony fans are just becoming too picky. 

Aye, indeed. I think the main reason why most people thinks that season 2 is much better than season 3 is that they're expecting too much to the season. Another possible reason is that season 2 is more improved than season 1, and season 3 is just started. If you want to judge it right, wait until the season is completed, or at least, half of the season is already aired. It's not wise to judge the whole season only by it's first 6 episodes.

• Brohoof 1

so far its doing a good job it two parter was not as good as the others but the episode after can be considered the best in some remarks how ever the question of pandering i happening alot and personally i agree with it in some cases (only in magic dual)

either way it MLP and its still fun

Season 2 was almost unexpected. Season 3 is overly speculated on.

In my opinion, Season 3 is very good so far, the show is still highly entertaining, and I prefer well written slice-of-life episodes than hastily thrown epic premieres/finales.

When in doubt, watch s1e03 again. If it aired now, how would it be received ? Probably pretty badly. But hell, this is the third episode I watched and I loved it like any other episode. Don't ever forget you're watching My Little Pony.

Edited by Akihiro
  • Brohoof 3

It's probably the fact that Season Three has been discussed at length since the S2 Finale.  They ended on such a high note, it's not easy to carry that sort of momentum through normal episodes.

That said, I'm enjoying the season so far.

• Brohoof 1

Probably the only tiny disappointment I had was with Magic Duel, only because I was really expecting some connection to Sombra. I still really liked the episode though. I really don't season 3 as a step down at all, except for the number of episodes of course. I will be kinda echoing Eljordo here and say that Sleepless in Ponyville was awesome. One Bad Apple though, it is probably my favorite episode of the season so far. I really liked Babs and the song, THE SONG. Probably my favorite song in the entire show.

So yeah, I just think that putting expectations a little too high. You can't have an unbelievably amazing/terrifically awesome episode every time. Some are just simple and very good, which I like.

In my personal opinion, I think the episodes are a bit of a stepdown. But I believe its probably because I havent noticed Derpy yet.Otherwise, the animation, the sound, and the voice acting all seem to have been upgraded.

Season 3 is good, but not in my opinion as good as the other 2 seasons. The only episode that I've really liked so far this season has been Too Many Pinkie Pies. But, the season's only half over, so it could always get better.

Don't get me wrong I'm loving season 3 so far, but I can't help but feel that season 3 is sort of a step down from season 2... There really haven't been any memorable moments, the plots of the newer episodes have been painfully predictable, and for some reason it just seems a little watered down compared to season 2, almost like it's leaning more towards the little girl side (I know that is the targeted demographic)... I mean there have been some great episodes... "Sleepless in Ponyville" has to be one of my top 5 mlp episodes of all time, there have been tons of references to fan fiction (but kinda sad Derpy still hasn't made a legit appearance :( ), and the animation is improved... I thoroughly enjoyed each episode but imo I feel that season 2 episodes had a little more depth... What do you guys think?

Season 3 is not bad, in fact I've enjoyed it immensely. The problems here are multi-facing.

1-The long wait: We had to wait longer for Season 3 to come up, leaving many of us to get very high expectations or to otherwise assume that it had to be SUPER DUPER AWESOME for the wait to make any sense.

2-Fandom Material: Lets be honest and say that just about everything has been done by fanfic authors by now. It would probably take an entire think tank studying the fanfiction and fanart of the fandom a year just to come up with something completely original.

3-Comparison to the awesomness that was Season 2: Season 2 was really really good, and I think we'll likely be using it as the basis to judge future seasons, unless Season 3 surpasses it.

Just like everyone else is saying, season 3 was over-hyped and was expected to be AMAZING! But don't get me wrong, I absolutely love season 3's new episodes and there are a few more coming out and I just can't wait till' the wonderbolt academy episode comes out (despite the leaks). 

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I don't care about the quality of the new season. It's a new season bringing new episodes, characters, and songs, not to mention pop culture references, and entertaining rumors, so I have no real complaints. Though they could use more Pinkie, but that's just me. XD

Edited by Keypassion

Like others said, it's only half way through. Until the season is done, you can't judge it. 

I haven't noticed any lack. But it might be my extremely uncritical mind. ;) 

You know, I've heard several people complain about this, and I have to say I don't get it. I haven't found any issues with season 3 so far other than the disappointing 13 episode length. 

Hell, Sleepless in ponyville is now one of my favorite episodes, and One Bad Apple had an awesome CMC song. I think Too many Pinkie Pies has been the worst so far, and even that one is pretty descent.

I have a feeling Wonderbolt Academy is going to be great.

I totally agree season 3 has been amazing so far sleepless in ponyville is my new favourite episode I dont understand why people think season 2 is better and I really dont understand why people keep saying the show is on a decline when it clearly isnt.

I am going to wait until the season is done until I render a full judgment, I am dissapointed at the opening two parter it was good but not nearly as good as past two parters mainly because the villain had such little plot development. But the rest of the season has been pretty good I especially like Sleepless in Ponyville because it appeals to the big softie in me, had Luna in it, the first episode that focuses on Scootaloo and has a solid message about conquering your fears and not being so concerned about what everyone else thinks.

I especially look forward to the two episodes about Applejack in large part because she is my favorite of the Mane  6 and dosen't get enough attention. I think the purpose of season 3 is to develop the characters a bit more and to have a bit of foreshadowing for Twilight Sparkles future whether Twilight is going to be an alicorn or not has not been stated yet but we do know that Celestia is preparing her for something big and I am looking forward to finding out exactly what.

Personally, I don't care about the quality of the new season. It's a new season bringing new episodes, characters, and songs, not to mention pop culture references, and entertaining rumors, so I have no real complaints. Though they could use more Pinkie, but that's just me. XD

More Pinkie? She had a whole episode and there were 100 of her! ;)

I think this season is great, but I wasn't waiting months and months for it! I prefer the slice of life episodes to the giant epic finale episodes too, and these ones have been charming! 

Well, I think, what S3 way better than S1 or S2. In S2 there are plenty of episodes, which I consider as epic fails. A friend in deed, or Ponyville confidential for example. In this season there is no any fails. all episodes are pure awesome. And Wonderbolt academy (leeked few hours ago) - my favorite so far. And S3 have a lot of fanservice.