Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A way to discretely purchase merchandise?

Aegis Mora

So I really like the figurines that come in the little pouches, but it's kinda... Weird watching a man walk to the counter with stuff like that. Think I could use Christmas shopping as disguised pony shopping for a non-existent little sister?

If you have to buy them from a shop Christmas is the perfect time to buy discreetly since millions of people are out there buying toys for their kids or parents or siblings or friends so nobody will judge you on anything you buy. Another way is just buy from the internet.

Act clueless and ask about what kind of MLP things they have, say it's for "your sister" and choose which one you want saying something like, "Oh! She's always talking about this one!" and buy it. In the case of these blind bags just say it's a stocking-filler. :P

• Brohoof 1

This is what I did last Wednesday, I bought two brushables, one actually was for my sister who is a pegasister, and the other one was for me.  I bought her Lyra and I bought myself Rarity.

Scream "OH MY CELESTIA PONIES!" and run towards them as fast as you can. That's what I do, anyway. Screw what other people think, it's ponies. A 6'6 grown man playing with Twilight Sparkle in the middle of the store isn't too odd anyway, is it? (Maybe add a "I will free you from this plastic prison (Insert pony name here)!!! If they are in a box.")

Edited by Brosparkles
  • Brohoof 5

Not to different from the ideas I was getting, but your suggestions are much obliged. I really want a little Fluttershy for my desk.

Scream "OH MY CELESTIA PONIES!" and run towards them as fast as you can. That's what I do, anyway. Screw what other people think, it's ponies.

. That is a good idea but... Nyeh... I have a more sophisticated way of handling things, not saying you aren't! I like to reduce my stress as much as possible. It adds years to your life :D

Not to different from the ideas I was getting, but your suggestions are much obliged. I really want a little Fluttershy for my desk.

. That is a good idea but... Nyeh... I have a more sophisticated way of handling things, not saying you aren't! I like to reduce my stress as much as possible. It adds years to your life :D

So does having fun, and it's pretty fun to go on adventures with the mane six toys in (insert store name here). Maybe sing some pony songs while you do it.

For a more pathetic way, the one I like, you can fake a cell call with your fake wife and say.

“OK is my Little Pony right honey?... Applejack or Rainbow Dash, witch one?”

Or stuff like that, that is how you get 100% less of self love   :P

Well, go look around for it.  Act a bit confused.  Go to the counter and buy it.  Get it wrapped.  (its fun to unwrap things anyway!) But don't say 'Oh its for my sister', unless asked directly.  Otherwise, that sounds a bit obvious xD

This wrapping thing could work all year round as well.

Edited by Feather Gem

Some stores have a self check out.  The first time is the hardest.  But then you see how little people really care what you buy.  I've bought out all the blind bags at a couple Walmarts.  Talk about awkward when there are 16 of them to ring up.

• Brohoof 1

If I recall correctly Hot Topic carries blind bags and other figurines (last time I checked they had a jumbo Derpy...DO WANT SO BAD). If you buy there you don't have to worry about trying to fake a story because...well, they are catering to bronies directly.

Edited by Lightning Dust

So I really like the figurines that come in the little pouches, but it's kinda... Weird watching a man walk to the counter with stuff like that. Think I could use Christmas shopping as disguised pony shopping for a non-existent little sister?

Just buy the stuff online and get it delivered to your doorsteps if you're that afraid of being judged by the people in the shop.

• Brohoof 1

Gotta say... why are you so afraid of being judged? Is it really that horrible if somebody gives you a weird look? If they hate somebody for buying something, that's their problem, not yours. I've waltzed in and bought pony toys without worrying about it. And I'm a bearded 20-year-old lardass! At least I'm honest about it.

Besides, if you're really going to fret about it, don't worry. I figure people would either not care, or assume you're buying it for your sister / other young female family member.

I'd buy 'em near Christmas for 2 reasons:

1. People will guess you have a very picky niece who NEEDS this certain pony

2. Being around tons of people will build your self confidence, so you will be able to shop for ponies anytime!

Don't be afraid to be judged! Go for it!

~AJTheFilly~

you have to learn NOT to care. i was intimidated at first, but now i couldnt care less. only you care about how you look buying ponies, because most people dont give it a second thought. the cashier wont say anything, nor will they care enough to even bother. 

you could lump ponies into orders with other items if you HAVE to cover up the purchase, but its never as big of a deal as people seem to think it is. why do you owe anyone an explanation as to why youre buying ponies? dont hide behind some false story, and buy pony stuff for yourself. 

Edited by sks_burns

saying that it's for your sister is quite a good tactic, however you shouldn't be afraid of being judged and if you are though just become a ninja. no one messes with a ninja

Go on Ebay and buy a little sister. Then taker her to the store with you and buy the ponies! Or you could just be preemptive and say you're part of a demonic cult that worships the pony toys and eats puppies and cashiers  Then tell him you're just kidding and it's just a weird hobby you have. They will be so relived they will not think twice about it!

Edited by Firelord Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I personally don't like walking into the girl's aisle either. So much pink... it burns.

But, I usually just wait until nobody's looking and use my epic stealth ninja skills to extract my ponies from all the other unworthy girl toys and walk off with nothing but a slight shudder from the thought of being surrounded by so much pink.

As for the social aspect, I just walk in there with a pony shirt and wristband and sometimes minifigures in my pocket and if anyone asks, I tell them about it. I've gotten most to all of my friends into ponies this way :P

Self check out, duh! That's what it's for, isn't it? Whipped cream, condoms, tampons...Mlp...You don't have to actually look anyone in the eye while checking out. And if someone gives you a weird look...say: "It's for my sister! She loves this kind of stuff!"

You don't buy ponies discreetly, you just waltz in the store like you own the damn place, grab what you want off the shelf and pay for it. There's no need to explain yourself, show off or act embarassed, you just act normal. And for goodness sake don't say it's for your niece, daughter or sister, especially if no one asks in the first place. The cashier isn't interested in why or for who you buy stuff, and the other shoppers probably won't raise an eyebrow as long as you don't act suspiciously. And if someone does ask, just go ahead and say it's for you ("these things are awesome!"), if they give you a weird look, smirk at them and carry on. Either they'll think you were joking and believe you bought this for your niece or whatnot, or they'll understand that you won't take shit from them.