Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Faust left: the series has lost quality since then?

MK15

99 users have voted

1. 1. Faust Left: The show has lost quality since then?

• Yes
    • No

I think the quality of the show has changed since Lauren Faust left, but not in a bad way. The show is evolving into a different quality that still makes it a well-rounded show. Although I wish that Faust was still part of the show, that does not mean that the show is lacking. It’s just (what other people have mentioned already) different. Season two felt a little different but some episodes have the same type of feeling as season one. Season three (without Faust input at all) feel completely different from the previous seasons, except for Sleepless in Ponyville (that felt like a season one episode to me) What I’m trying to say is that the quality isn’t dropping. The quality is just changing. The series is still great but the show is just going to keep changing into something more amazing (at least I hope). :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I have a feeling that Mrs. Faust wanted the show to go in a completely different direction than how it is right now. It is known that it was her intention to make the Elements of Harmony to be the centerpiece of everything which Hasbro didn't wanted at all (and which I agree for perhaps different reasons) and there were quite a lot of things which perhaps could've been inappropriate for the age and gender intended as well (Applejack's parent setting comes in my mind).

Perhaps the difference in their view is why she left, it definitely begs a question on why the original jump-starter of the Generation 5 franchise has never been included in the series of developer interviews that the season 1 DVD contained. (I believe EqD quoted that Mrs. Faust was bummed over her exclusion as well.)

Characters were given more depth and more screen time was given to character who lacked it (AJ, CMC, etc).

CMC got more episodes than AJ, they have enough.

Aj is where it's at. c:

Anyways the show is getting better week by week and I'm pretty sure KC & FO will surprise us all.

I feel like season 2 only had a few good episodes in it. Season 3, on the other hand, has been fairly good so far.

Season 1 is still my favorite though. 

I think that there's a different feel certainly, as shout outs and other different kinds of fanservice have become much more prevalent, I wouldn't say that the *overall* quality has dropped.  But I would say, however, that the writing has become less consistent (I *loved* the Canterlot Wedding two parter, but the Crystal Empire not so much) even if the *overall* quality is still the same more or less.

• Brohoof 1

The one thing that I do think needs to be done is having Williams team up with another writer to make an episode.  She has good ideas, starting off like an awesome roller coaster ride, but really start to flatten out.  Spike At Your Service is a low point, and I do feel that it would have been better if Spike wasn't clumsy, AJ thought about keeping him on, and Twilight fights to get her faithful assistant back, learning to take her studies seriously, but not to be consumed with them. 

That episode was the result of her teaming up with another writer. To be honest, Spike At Your Service seems to refute your point more than support it. Putting Your Hoof Down was a great team up though. Slice of life story from Charlotte Fullerton with that Merriwether flavor.

Back on topic, I think that the series has slightly improved since then. I don't think it's because of Faust, but more about the characterization having matured over time.

Season 1 was "These are who they are."

Season 2 was "You know who they are, let's prod them and poke them."

Season 3 looks to be "You know who they are and you know what happens when you prod and poke them. Let them change and advance past that."

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

Actually I think that from season 1 to where we are now, the quality has improved quite a bit. Yeah, so maybe Faust did help usher in a new era in the series, but it's not like other people didn't have an input in the show from the beginning.

• Brohoof 1

S2 had more episodes that where either bad or just didn't work for me. S3 hasn't been a disaster or anything but it's turning out to be a step down from S2. Honestly, I do feel the quality is declining. I don't blame Faust's absence for that because I've no way of knowing what impact her departure has had on the show.

Edited by ByTheTides

No, in some ways it has improved the characters are more fleshed out and a couple of them especially Rainbow Dash are starting to grow and mature while still maintaining the traits that fans like about them. Lauren Faust created a good show and did her best to make sure it stayed that way after she left.

• Brohoof 3

No, in some ways it has improved the characters are more fleshed out and a couple of them especially Rainbow Dash are starting to grow and mature while still maintaining the traits that fans like about them. Lauren Faust created a good show and did her best to make sure it stayed that way after she left.

I think that's where S3 is better than S1 and S2 since it's been about Character building and World Building.  We've gained the Crystal Kingdom, a continuity for Timber Wolves, a new species (Fruit Bats), and learned how each pony of the Mane6 has grown.  Pinkie Pie proved this in S2 where she learned about responsibility with the cake twins, and then grew with Too Many Pinkie Pies when she had the capacity to realize she messed up, fixing the problem in the process. 

I do believe Lauren Faust laid the groundwork for the show, but the show will still exist without her.  The role she played in S2 was minor, proving that it can exist without its creator. 

She started something good,  and left it in capable hands.   The writers have proven time in again they are willing to listen to their viewers.   That alone speaks gold in terms of quality.  No,  they don't make Derpy a mailpony (yet?)  or have pinky pie ..........nevermind,   but they give a wink and a nod,   shifting the entire show into a more "all audiences" rather than younge female audience.  Almost like spongebob.   

With the recent season,  there has been an intense amount of development,   clearly well planned shows with multiple layers and meanings to be grasped by viewers of all ages. 

Quality has only gone up, and I don't mean in just terms of story.  Animation,  characterization,   music!  We got a short season 3 because of it,  but I'd rather rewatch the Babs Seed drinking the internal bits of a "lets go to the movies" character,  or spend time trying to figure out what that book was about, instead of getting new episode each week that doesn't have such depth. 

• Brohoof 1