Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Powerpuff Girl references in MLP:FiM

Wingnut

Lauren Faust's prior work on the Powerpuff Girls and her marriage to PPG creator Craig McCracken is common knowledge among bronies. Same with Tara Strong's VA duties. But what the average brony may not know is that about half of MLP:FiM writers are PPG alumni. So it's only natural to have a few shout outs to PPG fans, some more overt than others.

Start with the Cutie Mark Crusaders:

Apple Bloom/Blossom – The leader girl with red hair who likes to wear a big bow.

Sweetie Belle/Bubbles – The girly girl who likes making others happy.

Scootaloo/Buttercup – The sporty tomboy who pretends to find affection disgusting.

The most obvious PPG shout out to date is this clip from Hurricane Fluttershy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Scvnd7KXo&list=LL-z7Z2EC6--9V3loidgwfHQ

In addition to being the obligatory Valentine's Day episode, Hearts and Hooves day is a tribute to Keen on Keane. In this episode, the PPGs hook up the Professor with their teacher, Ms. Keane. Unlike the CMCs, the PPGs don't need a love potion for the grown ups to hit it off!

The scene Stare Master where Scoots and AB dress up as a cloaked monster and Sweetie Belle says “You cannot run from me” may be based on a similar skit in The Powerpuff Girls Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever.

@@Feather Gem, @@Twinhead B, Thanks for reminding me about Snips and Snails. They are from the nursery rhyme about what little boys are made of. That's what the Rowdyruff Boys are made of and the Powerpuff Girls are sugar and spice and everything nice.

Thoughts and additional possible references are welcome. 

• Brohoof 7

Holy cow...i just had a lightbulb moment. Lol, Sweaty Belle is the girliest girl...in BOTH UNIVERSES?!?!? Mind blown. I kind of like Hasbro because they hint at their older show at time. (The G3 Pinkie Pie reference)

Holy cow...i just had a lightbulb moment. Lol, Sweaty Belle is the girliest girl...in BOTH UNIVERSES?!?!? Mind blown. I kind of like Hasbro because they hint at their older show at time. (The G3 Pinkie Pie reference)

To be sure, Sweetie Belle is nowhere near as girly as Bubbles.  But she's more girly than Scootaloo or Apple Bloom.  Scootaloo isn't all about fighting and Apple Bloom isn't shown to be a straight A student either.  Thus their personalities correspond rather loosely to Bubbles, Buttercup, and Blossom, but they still fit the same basic pattern. 

- Both shows share the pun-based episode names, a trait shared with Craig McCraken's other television show; Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.

- The fight scene in A Canterlot Wedding was done in a very similar style to that of the final fight in The Powerpuff Girls Movie.

- Both shows have female protagonists, but have a gender-neutral fan-base. (Though, MLP's was kind of by accident)

- Hearts are an important symbol in both shows. Many buildings and objects have a heart motif in MLP, and the heart is essentially the symbol for the Powerpuff Girls.

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm... I definitely caught the Canterlot Wedding fight scene, and I sort of got the CMC/PPG similarities, but not the Hearts and Hooves Day, Stare Master references I forgot about how Snips and Snails had been used in PPG. Wow, that's pretty cool! :D

• Brohoof 1

Not sure if much of a reference but, I've watched teh powerpuff girls since forever, and when I saw the eye that was on Luna Eclipsed,

14aag07.jpg

I noticed that it shares the same design as the eyes from the cyclop monsters on the Powerpuff girls, like the cyclop from Down 'n Dirty xD

• Brohoof 2

Apple Bloom/Blossom – The leader girl with red hair who likes to wear a big bow.

Sweetie Belle/Bubbles – The girly girl who likes making others happy.

Scootaloo/Buttercup – The sporty tomboy who pretends to find affection disgusting.

I've always thought about it rather in this way:

Blossom/Twilight - egghead

Bubbles/Fluttershy - cute girl who likes animals

Buttercup/Rainbow Dash - sporty tomboy

• Brohoof 1

Well, I always knew Snips and Snails was a reference to the same nursery rhyme where the PPG get their opening sequence:

"What are little boys made of?

Snips, snails, and puppy dog tails.

That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?

Sugar and spice, and all things nice.

That's what little girls are made of."

But I just assumed they called them that because they were the only young male ponies you really get to know. I suppose it could be a PPG reference but it is an extremely common poem so it's not easy to tell.

It's not at all uncommon to see similarities in shows made by the same people, whether they are intentional or not. In fact, when there is a show creator that I really like I tend to enjoy watching all of their works for just that reason.

• Brohoof 1

Not sure if much of a reference bu.....

I've watched the Powerpuff Girls since forever, and when I saw the eye that was on Luna Eclipsed,

14aag07.jpg

I noticed that it shared the same design as the eyes from the cyclop monsters on the Powerpuff girls, like the cyclop from Down 'n Dirty xD

I've always thought about it rather in this way:

Blossom/Twilight - egghead

Bubbles/Fluttershy - cute girl who likes animals

Buttercup/Rainbow Dash - sporty tomboy

PPG-Mane 6 comparisons have also been made, and their attributes are usually broken down like this:

Blossom's intellect and leadership abilities-Twilight Sparkle.

Blossom's beautiful hair and sense of style-Rarity.

Bubbles' joy and laughter-Pinkie Pie.

Bubbles' affinity with animals-Fluttershy.

Buttercup's rough tumble tomboy nature-Rainbow Dash.

Buttercup's, ugh, I forget this one. Whatever quality she has that most closely identifies with Applejack. :P

@,

I dunno, I'll have to take another look at that eye when I get a chance. 

• Brohoof 1

OMG, I love the PPG! Used to (and still) watch show the show all the time! Especially when the CMC are singing the Babs seed song, they reminded me a lot about the Powerpuff Girls. Applebloom has that bow on her head that remind me of Blossom (plus she kinda IS  like the Blossom of the group) Scootaloo is obviously Buttercup, and Sweetie Belle is Bubbles!

I think Rainbow Dash is actually voiced by the same voice actor is Buttercup....right? I may be wrong. But I remember one scene where RD made that one voice that sounded almost exactly like Buttercup.

So, it's so cool how those too shows are much alike...

• Brohoof 1

Buttercup's rough tumble tomboy nature-Rainbow Dash.

Buttercup's, ugh, I forget this one. Whatever quality she has that most closely identifies with Applejack. :P

Maybe Applejack's stubbornness? Buttercup did always seem to get pretty stubborn at times. I'm surprised I didn't think of Blossom and Rarity being alike...
  • Brohoof 1

I'm reminded of the PPG episode "Speed Demon" whenever I see the MLP FiM "The Return of Harmony", but that's not really a reference. Discord and HIM are both very sadistic and overall similar. The episodes also show the main characters in the dumps because they couldn't beat the antagonist and having to live with the corruption around them for a little while.

• Brohoof 1

But what the average brony may not know is that about half of MLP:FiM writers are PPG alumni. So it's only natural to have a few shout outs to PPG fans, some more overt than others.
eh i guess im in the other half. lauren faust was one of the reasons i watched MLP. There are also references to other works of hers. i forget where though 

(edited)

I think Rainbow Dash is actually voiced by the same voice actor is Buttercup....right? I may be wrong. But I remember one scene where RD made that one voice that sounded almost exactly like Buttercup.

I agree that Buttercup and RD do sound somewhat alike but they're voiced by different people: EG Daily and Ashleigh Ball respectively.  Daily also did Tommy's voice in Rugrats. Ironically, Season 1 Buttercup sounded a lot like Chuckie from Rugrats. Daily put a little too much “boy” in the tomboy's voice. From season 2 on Buttercup sounds much more feminine.  

Edited by Wingnut

• 4 years later...
(edited)

there was also this scene in "sonic rainboom" where she did the rainboom and she was flying as fast as nope and the left a trail behind is this a nope reference to powerpuff girls and how they leave trails behind them when they fly?

Spoiler

before the scene is where the 

Icarus Allusion...  Icarus Allusion... Icarus Allusion... 

happens. so rarity basically plummets to her doom and rainbow dash uses her sonic rainboom to save her. (and that is right now what im talking about)

Edited by KoolKidz112
since something was left out

The only real reference would be Twilight (voiced by Tara Strong) saying "Do I look like I speak squirrel" when Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls (also voiced by Tara Strong) can do exactly that.

However I can see why people would compare the CMC to the Powerpuff Girls.