Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What defines a Brony?

Agent505

Males who like the show. Like my son is only 4 but is obsessed with the show, so I think that he counts as a brony. And my ex's best friend is 26 but loves the show... He's actually the one that introduced us to it.

if you want to be a brony you are. and if you watch the show and don't want to be you aren't i think if you are old enough to want to be a brony it counts

I say you need to be 13 because if you're under that age, it's expected. If a person 13+ went up to someone and said that they like to watch my little pony then they would think "why does he watch that, he is 13 for christ sake" or something like that.. If you're under 11 then it's expected. 12+ might be better though.. :/

But even then. I think if someone wants to be a brony than they can be a brony...even if its expected, if they watch the show and like the fandom...then they are bronies.

I think it all comes down to whether you want to be a brony or not. My older sister for example...she loves the show but she doesn't like the fandom so she doesn't consider herself a brony.

I use the term "brony" to describe any fan who falls outside of the 5-12 year old girl target demographic. In my opinion you dont have to be active in the fandom to be considered a brony, you just need to enjoy the show. So you dont have to be like me and write fanfics, make music, draw fanart, etc. to be a brony.

I don't think it's an age thing, I think it's more of an involvement. Whether that being that you buy merchandise, create art, or can memorize obscure facts and VA's (Like which mane6 character does Shannon Chan-Kent sing for?)

I don't think it's an age that is "Brony" I think it's all in the level of watching.

OK, heres the story: I opened a topic about what are peoples favourite brony songs, so a guy replied with he doesnt really like brony music and then he messaged me saying that because he has never done anything create like art or music, he isn't a brony. I said to him that all you have to do to be a brony is like the show and watch it. He said that you cannot be a brony without doing something creative. :/ So what are your opinions? smile.png

I think that all you have to do is watch and like the show and be 13 or older.

Man, I was a brony when I was 12 years old, living back in Kitsap. I think that a brony could be of any age, a male to be exact, because after all, brony is a portmanteau of bro and pony. 

• Brohoof 1

I say you need to be 13 because if you're under that age, it's expected. If a person 13+ went up to someone and said that they like to watch my little pony then they would think "why does he watch that, he is 13 for christ sake" or something like that.. If you're under 11 then it's expected. 12+ might be better though.. :/

Actually i think its between ages 7+ because its where boys and girls have completely different in likes, boys like action figures, cars, and heroes, and girls like dolls, singers and such (Im not saying all of them like this, when I was like 6, I played with barbies).

(edited)

I'd...say probably watching an episode, liking it, then unconditionally watching the next few episodes, in my opinion. That was how I got into it. Then I got my first taste of the fandom's creativity and was hooked. Fallout: Equestria was the hook, and there are no regrets.

Factoring younger viewers, same concept. Minus the grimdark fics.

Edited by Seraphim

If you like MLP:FiM and consider yourself a brony, then you are a brony. I think that people can reject the label if they wish and still be a fan of the show, but I don't think there is any qualification other that enjoying it.

There are many ways that you can officially be a brony,

• Making Art & Music
  • Watching the show
  • Writing fan fictions or just enjoying the show as a whole.

Doesn't really matter, as long as you watch the show.

• Brohoof 1

I still feel like you have to be a male to be a brony. I don't find it uncommon for women of all ages to watch cartoons and things targeted for a more girly audience... especially those my my generation. So I really feel you need to be a dude to be a brony. And like the show.

I think it just means watching the show and liking it. Not all bronies are creative, and not all love brony music. But all bronies love ponies, even if it is just the fan art, because I've heard some bronies just like the art. :)

• Brohoof 1

I dont think anything ever makes you "officially" a brony

Its not like you earn a certain number of friendship coins and can buy your brony card.

Basically, you can either call yourself a brony or not. Its really just that simple :P

• Brohoof 1

If you have watched the show and enjoyed it, then that's my rule of being a brony. Even if you've only seen one or two episodes and liked it then I'd say you're a brony, just not as connected as other bronies.

Whoever said that you need to be creative with something MLP related to become a brony is a pretty stupid way of explaining what a brony is xP (no offense though).

I think being a brony is being a fan of the show, but there are some people that enjoy the show that aren't bronies. I guess it just depends on how big a fan you are of the show. All the music and art people create is just people using their talents to show appreciation for the show and such. So not creating brony music or art wont make you any less of a brony IMO.

I feel like this over-statement of stipulation for belonging to a community only manages to drive wedges into the community. To me, the term "brony" defines someone outside of the target demographic who is a fan of MLP. That's it. They don't have to make art, they don't have to write fan fiction, they don't have to make music. They just have to be a fan of the show. I don't do any of that. I'm still a brony. Again, I'm really not a big fan of having to prove your legitimacy within a fandom by showing your body of work and contributions. Really, it isn't required at all.

Who does the officiation for bronydom?

Who stamps the hoof on your forehead?

If you like the ponies you are a brony so relax and watch the pretty ponies :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I used to dislike the term Pegasister, because I consider brony to encompass all fans of the show, but then I realized that disliking 'pegasister' is as silly as considering 'brony' to apply ONLY to male fans. Let everyone call themselves what they want. I know of plenty of fans of the show who hate the term brony, just because of what it implies in the minds of most nonbronies and the occasional hater.

If you're a fan, you can call yourself whatever you want. If you're not a fan, then I don't think this problem really applies to you. Everybody wins.

Edited by Zerobot

I would say anyone who watches the shoe and is not in the original target demographic (I say original 'cause the writers do take us into consideration these days), as long as you want to be one. And I see it as a gender neutral term. I'm a girl, but I call myself a brony (but I see no problem with "pegasister"). If you watch the show and you like the idea of being called a brony, then you're a brony.