Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Skrillex or deadmau5?

Djpon3

Please please please please tell me that you are either taking about Skrillex's Electro side when comparing or that you know they usually do two totally different genres.

I like Deadmau5 better when comparing their two similar genres, otherwise you can't compare them at all.

Edited by Umbreon
  • Brohoof 2

Skrillex was a huge favourite of mine for a month or two when I first started opening up to electronic music. However, nowadays, I don't listen to his music nearly as much as I used to, but I still enjoy listening to a few of his songs occasionally.

I never got into Deadmau5, though. Not sure why, but I never liked his music at all for some reason.

I prefer skrillex because he makes a new type of dubstep. He makes a more choppy edgy bass kind of thing. When you look at deadmaus3 he just makes techno.

Neither. I mean I used to like Deadmau5 but that was only because it was my first taste of EDM, I don't like house anymore. And Skrillex ruined dubstep for me, So I really don't like him either.

So who you ask? Well DJ PON3 of course...

However if I had to choose I guess Deadmau5 wins even tho he's kind of a prick  :lol:

Wow, i am listening to Skrillex right now so it is obvious i prefer Skrillex but i like Deadmau5 too but not as much as Skrillex

I love Bangarang, First of the Year, and Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

My favorite of skrillexes is first of the year (equinox). It is very intense and quick. But it's got a nice intro and a really fast bass drop.

• Brohoof 1

Skrillex. Now, I know I've said my share of bad things about the guy, but I only really disliked the fact that his songs' genres get messed around with. But putting that aside, he makes pretty good music. I especially like his Moombahcore side :)

deadmau5 is OK, I guess, although I don't tend to fall in love with his songs. He makes nice tracks, but they just don't tickle my fancy enough.

Edited by LMW-YBC

Well, those two being two different genres, I'm kinda at a loss here.  Aside from that, they are both terrible...

2 better artists in those categories would be 

EXCISION and PEGBOARD NERDS :P

Sorry, I don't do mainstream stuff that all sounds the same :/

• Brohoof 2

Well, those two being two different genres, I'm kinda at a loss here.  Aside from that, they are both terrible...

2 better artists in those categories would be 

EXCISION and PEGBOARD NERDS :P

Sorry, I don't do mainstream stuff that all sounds the same :/

Hehe, Pegboard Nerds are the shiz! But then so is Televisor, and Tut Tut Child, and Rogue, and Muzzy, and Tristam...

Monstercat has the best artists :)

• Brohoof 2

I keep seeing these threads come up... why does everyone lump Skrillex and Deadmou5 together? They're hardly anything alike... *raises Hipster glasses* 

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 2

Haven't really listened to them in a while to be honest.

I listen to Flux, Excision, Monstercat, Zed's Dead, and Zomboy more than them...so I'm not sure....

I prefer skrillex because he makes a new type of dubstep. He makes a more choppy edgy bass kind of thing. When you look at deadmaus3 he just makes techno.

3 things.

1) This supposed 'new Dubstep' is called brostep. Not exactly new anymore, though Skrillex is the general cause of it (sadly). So you got half of it right.

2) its Deadmau5

3) He doesn't make Techno. He makes mostly Progressive House. There is a difference. A very slight one, but its there.

That is all.

• Brohoof 5

Oh great....another Skrillex Vs. Deadmau5 thing

Though most people are gonna choose Skrillex

Deadmau5 deserves it more

Why though?

Deadmau5 has much more creativity, skill, technique, and experience

Skrillex on the other end, his style is quite basic

The only thing that he has to him is just that typical "growl bass" sound

While using those lead sounds that you can get from presets off of some cheap softsynth

There's nothing special to Skrillex at all

And honestly there are way better dubstep artists out there than Skrillex

Deadmau5 he's one of the few dance artists who has put atmosphere into dance music

If you don't believe me then listen to the 10 minute epic named Strobe

He's gone outside of EDM, and yes I know Skrillex released the Bells album back when he still used his real name

Though in comparison to Deadmau5' non-EDM material, Joel has a better grasp at different experimental genres than Skrillex does

Joel shows a much better understanding of electronic music than Skrillex does

But honestly the two artists have a completely different style of which are not similar

Deadmau5 has a style that is more soft and atmospheric

While Skrillex is more hard hitting and aggressive

So which is a basic explanation as towards why Skrillex got more attention to him

• Brohoof 3

Well I am really tired of dubstep to begin with.

Anyways, Deadmau5 gets my vote here. I like that type of music more than the dubstep.

Though I prefer Archie (and a looooot of others) over both of them o3o

Edited by Jokuc

I hardly listen to any electronic music, save for some bands with electronic influences.

However, of the two, I prefer Skrillex to be honest. Deadmau5 is a fantastic musician and a cool guy, but his music just never grabbed me. Too boring, in my opinion. Skrillex meanwhile, while less musically talented, has the ability to create a high-energy, up-in-your-face sonic attack, which I just find much more enjoyable.

One of my favorites by him.

Knife Party is better than both, anyway.

Edited by Twiliscael

Why does this thread exist? Skrillex and deadmau5 aren't even in the same genre of music. This is like comparing Apples to Oranges. :/

Skrillex is Electro/Dubstep (Brostep to be more specific) and deadmau5 is Progressive House. Both artists are notably in their respective styles; Skrillex for introducing Dubstep to the mainstream and popularizing the distorted bass heavy "wub" music that has since spread like a plague, and deadmau5 for bringing House music to the mainstream several years before.

Musically speaking, deadmau5 is a much better producer and composer, he's shown that he's capable of everything from straight up House to Dubstep-sque Electro, to Acoustic and experimental pieces. Whenever Skrillex attempts to step outside his comfort zone, he falls short and ends up falling back on the ideology of "When in doubt, wub it out".

So, if I had to pick:

deadmau5.

• Brohoof 1

Apples to oranges, anyone? They do totally different kinds of music, so you can't really compare them. Sure, you can prefer one over the other, but you can't say Skrillex is better than Dead-mau-five (yes, I know it's pronounced dead mouse. I like to say the "five" for the lulz) when they have totally different styles of music.

And Black Sun Empire is better than both of them anyway :P

• Brohoof 1

When you look at deadmaus3 he just makes techno.

False entirely. Technically, both of them make techno. Techno is a generic name, and there are tons of derivatives and subgenres. Deadmau5 makes House, Progressive House, Trance, Dance, Electronic Dance, and occasionally Dubstep. Skrillex just mainly makes Dubstep. While Skrillex does have some catchy songs, a lot of them sound the same IMO. Deadmau5 has way more of a variety. He experiments way more, and in my opinion is much more creative than skrillex.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 1

Well, i recently found out about these 2 like a month a ago and was wondering which do you prefer

I like both them i don't like one more than the other

Your topic, 'Skrillex or Deadmau5?' has been merged with another previous thread that goes by the exact same name, posing the exact same question ^^

I hate Skrillex. Besides, deadmau5 and Skrillex aren't even in the sam genre. Also, I don't see how bass wobbles and air horns are considered "music."

Edited by ~Vallo~

Skrillex. I don't have a lot of knowhow about that kind of music but I know a lot of songs of both artists and I like Skrillex more. :D
Deadmau5 music sounds too tame and repetative for my likes(except when he works with a vocalist like in "Professional Griefers" and "Ghost's N Stuff")

I am not a fan of house, but I like Drum N Bass

Edited by Wildcard

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

Adding on to my opinion, I just wish Skrillex would experiment more and drift away from Dubstep. I understand he's a Dubstep artist, but when you do the same type of thing over and over again, it gets repetitive, and almost redundant even.

Skrillex does have some good melodies, I just wish they didn't have to have Dubstep. For example, the intro to "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" I found amazing, but then the Dustep part just ruined it for me.

I think the main reason people don't like Deadmau5 I because he is mainly a Progressive House artist. His long buildups take some getting used to. But once you do, it's awesome.

• Brohoof 1