Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is death implied in the show

TheMarkz0ne

I was reading some topic concerning Apple Jack's parents. Many think her parents died and that's why her and Applebloom are with Granny Smith. But how can you imply death in a show intended for 6 year olds. I know death is an inevitable factor of life. But this is a show about talking ponies. I know Celestia is an alicorn and she was obviously once an infant. So when is Celestia going to bite the dust? 

Celestia will bite the dust in exactly the next 1000 years. Joking, but in all seriousness we might never know when Celestia will pass on and the next alicorn will be in line for the throne.

img-1126965-1-161hrt2.jpg It probably is but just not told since it doesn't really fit in the shows theme.

This image appears during "The perfect stallion" song.

Edited by Floris
  • Brohoof 12

I was reading some topic concerning Apple Jack's parents. Many think her parents died and that's why her and Applebloom are with Granny Smith. But how can you imply death in a show intended for 6 year olds. I know death is an inevitable factor of life. But this is a show about talking ponies. I know Celestia is an alicorn and she was obviously once an infant. So when is Celestia going to bite the dust? 

Celestia has immortality. She will never 'bite the dust.'

And Applejack's parents... them dying is a theory. I'm sure that death will not be implied in the show itself, but in our minds.

Actually it was confirmed that they were dead in Apple Family Reunion. When Granny Smith said EVERY pony was going to be at the reunion and "Who knows if they'll be able to make the next one?" After that AppleJack looks sadly at a window at two shooting stars confirmed by somebody(do NOT remember who) who works on the show that they were a nod to the Apple parents.

So death has been implied, but softly.

Actually....wasn;t there a funeral at one point?

And King Sombre got blown to bits, dude.

Death is very real in the show. We have an explicit reference to death in S2E17 "Hearts and Hooves Day," in the form of a funeral. It's also interesting to note that this death occurs in the episode immediately following "Read it and Weep," which featured a possible cancer patient.

830px-This_One%27s_Too_Old_1_S2E17.png

Princess Celestia is implied to be immortal or at least very long lived. It's very likely that her prodigious magic abilities contribute to her longevity.

• Brohoof 2

I wonder......... Does anyone think the mane 6 are immortal. Since they represent the elements of harmony and all. I am guessing the mane 6 are young teenagers. Cadence must be in her 20's or 30s since she seems to have reach full unicorn size, while twilight is still small

• Brohoof 2

I wonder......... Does anyone think the mane 6 are immortal. Since they represent the elements of harmony and all. I am guessing the mane 6 are young teenagers. Cadence must be in her 20's or 30s since she seems to have reach full unicorn size, while twilight is still small

I think they all are already adults, 19 - 22 , kinda... Cider is alcohol... And they need to be adults to drink alcohol (You don't say)

It's only that cadence it's an alicorn, and alicorns are always taller than any other pony...

• Brohoof 1

We've had a funeral, we've had many a sick patient, and we of course have those two shooting stars of which are supposed to represent AJ's parents.

• Brohoof 1

Celestia and Luna are immortal. They are Demigods they do not die and this is why there is no "Line of succession" really. Its why Cadence and Shining Armor get their own little "Empire" to rule because they will never succeed Celestia and Luna. I have always wondered about Applejack's parents. This is a plot device. Later on we may learn that they may have died or that they may be running an apple farm somewhere else in Equestria. The suspense allows the writers to have many different ways to go with it. The way shows like this Imply death is by making appear differently. Its like in Power Rangers when an alien gets shot they don't bleed, sparks just fly from their chest and they go flying 10 feet backwards. Then you see them again on the next episode. Because Magic is a key element (no pun intended) in the show "Banishment" is used more often. Its also because if you "killed" people they couldn't come back to mess with people later on.

Hmm, i suppose it is implied, but there's a big hole in this theory that most of us are aware of. The hole being that we have never seen them before, or their presumed gravesite. The theory is still up for grabs, but for the most part, we're just gonna sit this one out and see what the writers come up with,

It is. The shows creators said on a tweet that the two shooting stars were representations of Applejacks parents. As for Celestia well we can't be sure, it's a world of magic and Alicorns have stronger powers than unicorns etc... So we may never know.

Technically they covered death with Philomena the Phoenix, since it had to die before it could be reborn.

Also there was the funeral interruption as we've seen above.

Edited by Fridge

I'm pretty sure that somewhere they said on one of the writers for the show's Twitters that the stars represented Applejacks parents, who where dead.

Besides even if that weren't so they said everypony was suppose to come from the family, and if Applejacks parents didn't show then, well its safe to say they're dead.

So I think its implied for sure.

Plus that funeral of course.

And its debatable if Scootaloo's parents are dead aswell.

Sweetie Belle interupts a funeral?!? What the actual fuck, how did I miss that? That had to have been some black humor on the part of the animators.

Oh, and AJ's parents are dead. There's no doubt in my mind about that one.

Sombra isn't dead because he was a living shadow for like 1000 years, which is way longer than the normal lifespan of a pony. Plus a piece of his horn survived the blast... and we've all seen what his severed horn can do when left to it's own devices. It's kind of like Sauron's one ring.

Celestia and Luna are forces of nature; not really sure they can die of natural causes. Cadence is probably immortal too; she is basically love incarnate. Kind of sucks for her though considering Shining Armor isn't. It's sort of like the whole Aragorn/Arwen thing in LOTR.

Edited by Circadian

Celestia will bite the dust in exactly the next 1000 years. Joking, but in all seriousness we might never know when Celestia will pass on and the next alicorn will be in line for the throne.

In before people begin suggesting the season 4 premiere will do that with the Season 3 finale Alicorn Twi.

Although the writers aren't stupid and I doubt they'd do that.

• Brohoof 1

I always thought that part in The Crystal Empire where Twilight says there's not enough time for her to escape and she tells Spike to go; was her referencing that she was probably going to die, she needed Spike to leave her to die so he could save the rest of the ponies. That's why I literally began to tear up at that part. 

I don't know if that's true, it's just what I got out of it.

• Brohoof 2

I think they all are already adults, 19 - 22 , kinda... Cider is alcohol... And they need to be adults to drink alcohol (You don't say)

It's only that cadence it's an alicorn, and alicorns are always taller than any other pony...

But it's a bit confusing to judge a pony by their height though, Every alicorn (so far) has been taller than a pony, and the foals are obviously shorter, but what confuses me is that the adult ponies are the same height as the mane 9 (who are 20~) so yeah, kinda weird

i think celestia's immortality is to be assumed. she has been alive for over thousands of years, and in episodes mentioning her tales from a thousand years ago, she still seems the same age. so if she were to bite the dust, i doubt we would be there to witness it.

Didn't king sombra actually die?

I think he was killed, he was burned to death by light... He disintegrated into little pieces...

Does that count as a death?

i dont think that was really death. he wasnt really alive. kinda spirit. anyhoo, in many kids shows death is implied or actually flat out portrayed, or whatever. mostly in "boys" action shows.

i dont think the mane 6 are in their teens. they are out of school, they have jobs and families and from their siblings and independancy i would say they are in their mid twenties or something. especially applejack. and then you have rarity, on her own. owns a business. and i think fluttershy is one of the oldest. 

when the pie was thrown at the buffalo cheif in over a barrel some spike and several buffalo thought he was dead or injured you kinda could tell but i always thought the mane ponys were about 17 and that highschool and middle dont exist when your ponys or are optinal

Edited by pinkieshyrose

Death can, and should be in childrens media. Keeping the subject of death from children only makes it more complicated when the subject must be brought up.

There are many good ways to teach children about death, and believe it or not, cartoons can be a safe medium for that. Nevertheless, you always have those over-reactive people who wont even let a kid bury their dead puppy because "they can't handle it". 

Which is a GREAT way to screw with your kids head by the way.

I think death does exist in their world. If you think back to, Family Appreciation Day. Granny Smith tells the story of how her family helped build Ponyville. Now if the 2 ponies in her flashback are Granny Smiths parents and they aren't there anymore, we could say that they are dead.