1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

In your personal option, not fact.

I'm pretty darn sure my complaints have merit to them. Comon, it makes both Celestia and Twilight look bad.

Doesn't help that many people who defend Celestia have come off as illogical and don't provide good arguments to validate their opinions.

Edited by Zoraxe

(edited)

Still the worst episode of MLP, hands down.

What!? I respect opinions usually, but how is THIS the WORST EPISODE?

Care to elaborate a little?

Edited by LZRD WZRD

This is my favorite last episode in the third season, and finally Twilight Sparkle's an alicorn for now. I hope she returns at the 4th and now the 5th.  :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What!? I respect opinions usually, but how is THIS the WORST EPISODE?

Care to elaborate a little?

I'm sick of explaining, but generally its because how manipulative Celestia is and how Twilight had no choice. If you can sum up MMC in two words, its 'Tyrant Celestia'. And I like Celestia and thus I hate Magical Mystery Cure.

Also the writing was lazy and amateurish.

@@Zoraxe,

Princess Celestia did not force Twilight to become an alicorn nor was she manipulative, the transformation came from within. If Twilight had any sort of problem with the change she would have said something. Princess Celestia merely helped guide her student down the path that would lead her to the change. There was nothing forced on Twilight! 

Edited by EquestrianScholar

@@Zoraxe,

Princess Celestia did not force Twilight to become an alicorn, the transformation came from within. If Twilight had any sort of problem with the change she would have said something. Princess Celestia merely helped guide her student down the path that would lead her to the change. There was nothing forced on Twilight! 

That is terrible reasoning. Celestia sent the events into motion by giving Twilight the EoH and an unfinished spell that she know Twilight would try to use. She knew what would happen when Twilight fixed the mistake she caused. That is just plain manipulation.

No, screw that episode and its insulting attitude it takes to Twilight. And how Celestia takes advantage of her relationship to Twilight. And screw this episodes blindness to its own implications.

The writers of this episode have admitted that they have no idea of what Star Swirls spell was originally supposed to do, the crutch of this episodes plot was no even thought out. This episode is stupid, and shoddily written. With characters acting out of character. So yeah, worst episode ever.

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 2

@@Zoraxe,

Princess Celestia is no more 'manipulative' that half of the other mentor figures used in fiction, she was not using Twilight or trying to trick her. Instead the princess was help Twilight reach her full potential, helping her complete the path her student had started. Neither Twilight nor Celestia was out of character nor did the teacher do harm to the student. Princess Celestia did nothing wrong, and again I repeat if Twilight at all had a problem with becoming an alicorn and being crowned princess she would have said something. Twilight had a choice in accepting who she had become and Celestia did not force it on her!

You may believe what you wish. I think your wrong, but if you want to see something that is not there go right ahead.

I just watched the episode again tonight. As in previous viewings, I got a bit weepy when Twilight said "Oh Spike, what have I done?" The tears returned when Princess Celestia gently sang to Twilight while they were in Otherspace. I am convinced that Celestia joined Twilight in the astral plane and sang her ballad to keep Twilight calm while her metamorphosis began. The soft gentle nature of the song was almost hypnotic. It made Twilight's ascension much easier for her. Twilight would have been scared and confused if she faced that totally alone.

I do not see Princess Celestia as some evil manipulative tyrant. I see her as Twilight's beloved mentor and guide. When Celestia later bowed to the new princess, it reinforced my belief that Celestia sees in Twilight a welcomed successor to her own throne. "Magical Mystery Cure" is one of my very favorite episodes of the whole series. I would love to see them make another musical episode for season five too.    

• Brohoof 3

I just watched the episode again tonight. As in previous viewings, I got a bit weepy when Twilight said "Oh Spike, what have I done?" The tears returned when Princess Celestia gently sang to Twilight while they were in Otherspace. I am convinced that Celestia joined Twilight in the astral plane and sang her ballad to keep Twilight calm while her metamorphosis began. The soft gentle nature of the song was almost hypnotic. It made Twilight's ascension much easier for her. Twilight would have been scared and confused if she faced that totally alone.

I do not see Princess Celestia as some evil manipulative tyrant. I see her as Twilight's beloved mentor and guide. When Celestia later bowed to the new princess, it reinforced my belief that Celestia sees in Twilight a welcomed successor to her own throne. "Magical Mystery Cure" is one of my very favorite episodes of the whole series. I would love to see them make another musical episode for season five too.    

All that misery that Twilight and her friends and the entire town of Ponyville went through? Its because of Celestia, she caused that. Celestia Discorded Twilight's friends and let Twilight blame herself for it so that Twilight can be made into an Alicorn Princess by tricking Twilight into fixing a spell whilst her unknowing what the spell would do.

Whether or not you think that it was OK in the end, there is no denying that the act itself was one hell of an asshole move by Celestia.

• Brohoof 1

Celestia's behavior was mainly for plot convenience. But that made her a terrible character here, I think this episode is the best to describe Trollestia.

Of course, if Celestia had intervened, Twilight wouldn't have become a princess, and this episode would have lost its interest.

No, it was just poorly written, they should have done something else, I like Twilicorn (certainly because I got used to it), but the way it was introduced was awful.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 3

All that misery that Twilight and her friends and the entire town of Ponyville went through? Its because of Celestia, she caused that. Celestia Discorded Twilight's friends and let Twilight blame herself for it so that Twilight can be made into an Alicorn Princess by tricking Twilight into fixing a spell whilst her unknowing what the spell would do.

Whether or not you think that it was OK in the end, there is no denying that the act itself was one hell of an asshole move by Celestia.

Your response is quite harsh, to the point of being flame bait, but I'm not going to argue. I simply don't see Celestia as a malevolent being. She put her faith in Twilight Sparkle, and that faith was not misplaced.  

No, I don't see Celestia as evil, but there is room in my heart for a touch of Molestia...

:wub:

• Brohoof 2

I just watched it again too! I can't help but get weepy at the points you mentioned, also when AJ boards up the Carousel Boutique :( I love your interpretation of Celestia in the astral plane, it makes a lot of sense and makes me appreciate that scene even more. :) 

I don't see Celestia as a negative figure either, I completely agree with your viewpoint of Celestia as a mentor/guide, maybe even a mother figure to Twilight. The more I watch it, the more I'm sure this is probably my favourite ever FIM episode yet. I would love a physical CD release of the music from just this episode, I love every song!

Celestia's behavior was mainly for plot convenience. But that made her a terrible character here, I think this episode is the best to describe Trollestia.

Of course, if Celestia had intervened, Twilight wouldn't have become a princess, and this episode would have lost its interest.

No, it was just poorly written, they should have done something else, I like Twilicorn (certainly because I got used to it), but the way it was introduced was awful.

Very true. I don't think that Celestia is a malevolent character, its just that MMC doesn't seem to have had much thought put into it. I have no problem with Twilight being an Alicorn Princess, however the reason she became an alicorn appeared to be because of what Celestia made happen via Twilight, and not something Twilight made happen. A mentor figure really overstepping her bounds and coming off as 'controlling' rather than 'motherly'. But of coarse the writers didn't intend that, so its just a broken story. But whats horrible is that its such an important episode, the culmination for Twilight's friendship lessons was for that.

Your response is quite harsh, to the point of being flame bait, but I'm not going to argue. I simply don't see Celestia as a malevolent being. She put her faith in Twilight Sparkle, and that faith was not misplaced.

No, I don't see Celestia as evil, but there is room in my heart for a touch of Molestia...

:wub:

Of coarse she put faith in Twilight, she is the one that set Twilight up!

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 2

One must wonder why there were only thirteen episodes in this Season. I really enjoyed Magical Mystery Cure because it was the only episode in GIV that played into what the Mane Six would be like if their roles were switched, with Fluttershy needing to be funny and Rarity taking on Rainbow Dash's role.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched it again too! I can't help but get weepy at the points you mentioned, also when AJ boards up the Carousel Boutique :( I love your interpretation of Celestia in the astral plane, it makes a lot of sense and makes me appreciate that scene even more. :)

I don't see Celestia as a negative figure either, I completely agree with your viewpoint of Celestia as a mentor/guide, maybe even a mother figure to Twilight. The more I watch it, the more I'm sure this is probably my favourite ever FIM episode yet. I would love a physical CD release of the music from just this episode, I love every song!

She is supposed to be a mentor/guide. Which makes this episode an out of character episode for Celestia. 'AJ having to board up the Carousel Boutique?', Celestia did it. 'Twilight blaming herself for what happened?', Celestia's fault. She purposely planned a cruel and manipulative ploy with Twilight as a patsy to take the blame.

This might be a stupid question;

Does everyone get teary-eyed when Twilight Sparkle is crowned 'Princess' when she walks down the aisle and the choir sing;

'The Princess Twilight cometh;

Behold, behold;

A Princess here before us

Behold, behold, behold'?

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy thought time:  What if Twilight actually kinda died.  (the char looking pattern on the floor)  Then she became a fully magical entity.  And instead of being an alicorn, she merely is a being of magic who believes herself to be an alicorn.

This would explain the odd scene with Celestia.  (how did she know)

Answer a: Twily kinda dreamed it.

answer b: Twily went over to Celestia and this is how she interpreted the input that Celestia gave her.

Crazy thought time: What if Twilight actually kinda died.

Interesting theory... but a few points:

A. This "theory" has already been suggested elsewhere, with art.

B. The idea is one season too late given how the show has actually continued. Sure, one could continue denying the truth of that matter that Twilight is actually an alicorn and princess, but it wont change the fact that the show has continue with her alive and fine with her change.

C. This theory's existance is nothing more and nothing less then a weak excuse by some fans not to accept Magical Mystery Cure for what it is. Instead, some would rather Twilight be dead then to be okay with becoming an alicorn and princess.

Admittingly, it is a better idea then having Twilight cut off or otherwise remove her wings and having her get angry at her mentor for forcing a destiny on her that she never wanted, saying Twilight's freedom was taken from her.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

Interesting theory... but a few points:

A. This "theory" has already been suggested elsewhere, with art.

B. The idea is one season too late given how the show has actually continued. Sure, one could continue denying the truth of that matter that Twilight is actually an alicorn and princess, but it wont change the fact that the show has continue with her alive and fine with her change.

C. This theory's existance is nothing more and nothing less then a weak excuse by some fans not to accept Magical Mystery Cure for what it is. Instead, some would rather Twilight be dead then to be okay with becoming an alicorn and princess.

Admittingly, it is a better idea then having Twilight cut off or otherwise remove her wings and having her get angry at her mentor for forcing a destiny on her that she never wanted, saying Twilight's freedom was taken from her.

A I apologize if my precise point has been mentioned.

But, as for B; a digression.  Do you recognize the magnetic push that your keypad has against your fingers?  Were it not for the electrons in your fingers pushing away from the similarly charged electrons on your keyboard your fingers would pass through.

My crazy idea is that Twilight only has a corporeal form because the magic she now is (may be) forms her into a corporeal form.  The reason she could defeat Sunset in EQG is that the crown didn't exist.  It was a part of Twilight.  The Equestrian magic in earth, remnants of Twilight's magical existence.   The reason Twilight was bequeathed the Alicorn magic, rather than her more experienced fellow alicorns; because placing the alicorn power into a receptacle of pure magic would keep them safe from Tirek.  Why does she not have a clue how to use her powers -- no wait, supersajan?  Because she believes that she doesn't know how to use the magic.   Then she's too busy fighting to think about what she believes.  Why is there a crazy magic castle.  Because deep down, she wanted it to be so so she created a castle.

The fact that Twilight would, according to the crazy theory do all the things she did would not be effected negatively in the least by being a creature of pure magic. 

I think that C is also answered by this.

I don't think of this as canon, just that it answers more questions than not coming up with something a bit crazy somewhere would answer.

I loved this ep. My only problem with it is that it was rushed. However that ending was just so epic. I had a feeling she would eventually become like Princess Celestia. Now if you look at it they have the full 24 hour day covered. Celestia covers Day, Luna covers Night and Twilight covers Sunrise and Sunset. Seeing as how that is what Twilight means. I give this episode a 5/5