Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Swearing is now canon.

I_wesley125

To be honest, I think it's in the writers job to add those half-swearing references to help the show also appeal to an older audience, as Lauren wanted it to be enjoyable for both children and their parents.

Such references as Rainbow Dash's "What the hay?" instead of "What the hell?", Rarity's "Congratu-pony-lations" as a referene to the f-word, or the Equestira-speficic swear words like "horse-feathers" or "Celestia's Mercy".

Also, according to Urban Dictionary, Applejack makes half-swear word all the time:

"Tarnation" means "Damnation"

"Darn Tootin'" means "Damn Right" and

"Dagnammit" means "God Dammit"

Then again, I am no American, so what do I know?

So, in the recent episode one pony says "i wouldn't pay one cent for this dreck". I may be wrong but to my knowledge dreck is german for crap.

According to TVtropes, it's not german, but yiddish. It doesn't make clear if it means crap, but it says it's vulgar. Unexpected for ponies to say an actual swear, they usually disguise them with slangs  :lol:

Good old Looney Toons they made those cartoons back in the days where they didn't assume kids were stupid and we had all this political correctness BS. Speaking of swearing there is this one Loony Toons Cartoon where Daffy cussed. I was like "holy shit, did he just say what I think he just said?" Granted it was bleeped out, but still.

Swearing in MLP will never happen unless you count fanfics although if you ask me there isn't nearly as much profanity as you would think there would be in certain fanfics. Even clopfics don't have as much as you would expect. Although one thing I have noticed is that "god" is replaced with "Celesita" resulting in phrases like "oh Celestia yes" in sex scenes and "Celestia damn it" to express frustration.

It doesn't really make sense when like Fluttershy says "As Celestia as my Witness" that one time. Because Celestia can't possibly be witnessing that moment. Unless she is creeping on flutters with that telescope of hers, but its unlikely that the telescope reaches that far!

I think the closest MLP has come to swearing is using a phrase like "flying feather". But it's worth pointing out that Fluttershy scolds a beaver for using such language in "Keep Calm and Flutter On".

That's rather benign for a swear word. I remember Hey Arnold! using "crap" once, and that was over ten years ago and targeted primarily at a preteen to early teen audience.

In general, the English usage of "dreck" means "rubbish," which can also be considered synonymous with "crap." If it happens to mean "crap" in German, it is probably a rough translation.

It actually is a perfect translation, down to the strongness of the swearword.

I'm unfamilliar with that slang, so let's check it out...

dreck

   [drek]

noun Slang .

excrement; dung.

worthless trash; junk.

Origin:

1920–25; < Yiddish drek; cognate with German Dreck filth;compare Old English threax, Old Norse threkkr excrement

It's a bit weird that they would use this word. I think I agree with Colton: it's just "drink" with a heavy accent.

But even if they did mean "dreck" it doesn't seem as bad as saying "shit" or even "crap", so it might be more acceptable for a kids show I guess

edit: woah I see my post has some formating issues

If it's from yiddish it's probably somewhere as filthy as using a c term for a female anatomy.  Yiddish curse words are all strong (source Born to Kvetch)

Like Shmuck or Putz. 

Entertainers used those to get around the censors by being ruder than they would have originally, but the censors had no clue so let it go.

I think the closest MLP has come to swearing is using a phrase like "flying feather". But it's worth pointing out that Fluttershy scolds a beaver for using such language in "Keep Calm and Flutter On".

In the breezies episode she blushes after that one breezie threw a fit as if he dropped 1,000 F Bombs or something.

Swearing has always been canon if something as benign as dreck constitutes swearing to you.

Horsefeathers seems to be a legitimate swear in Equestria and is certainly treated as a swear. Their swear words are just different from ours and I would say dreck doesn't constitutes as one of our. Crap isn't really a swear.

• 10 months later...