Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Swearing is now canon.

I_wesley125

That's rather benign for a swear word. I remember Hey Arnold! using "crap" once, and that was over ten years ago and targeted primarily at a preteen to early teen audience.

In general, the English usage of "dreck" means "rubbish," which can also be considered synonymous with "crap." If it happens to mean "crap" in German, it is probably a rough translation.

• Brohoof 5

Actually they did the same thing in the Cutie Pox episode with "Sacre bleu!". It's not like saying sh** or fu** so I wouldn't call it swearing.

It's canon btw, not cannon.

• Brohoof 1

I'm unfamilliar with that slang, so let's check it out...

dreck
   [drek]

noun Slang .
excrement; dung.

worthless trash; junk.

Origin:

1920–25; < Yiddish drek; cognate with German Dreck filth;compare Old English threax, Old Norse threkkr excrement

It's a bit weird that they would use this word. I think I agree with Colton: it's just "drink" with a heavy accent.

But even if they did mean "dreck" it doesn't seem as bad as saying "shit" or even "crap", so it might be more acceptable for a kids show I guess

edit: woah I see my post has some formating issues Edited by Marshmallow
  • Brohoof 2

Actually they did the same thing in the Cutie Pox episode with "Sacre bleu!". It's not like saying sh** or fu** so I wouldn't call it swearing.

It could be considered a swear depending on inflection, I would think, since it could come off as "God dammit it!" or "I swear to God!" It literally means "holy blue," in reference to swearing to the Virgin Mary.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

But sacre bleu wasn't really used as a swear word in the episode. It's more of a stereotypical french expression and so it was just put in there to create a comical effect. (Besides, that expression isn't even used in modern french anyway!)

I don't think that dreck is a stereotypical german expression. Not in the same way as sacre bleu is french anyway. It just happens to bear the same meaning in both german and english.

If we take all of these small real-world comments as cannon, ponies would be weilding guns and riding in tanks. Also, im pretty sure that dreck genraly just mean's rubbish in the english way.

Pretty sure he said dreck. But I've heard dreck said in English on other shows... and have taken it to be a very light word that isn't a swear. So whilst in German, it might be a swear... in English, it's a lot lighter and not considered a swear. It's just a slang word.

Dreck is uncommon, sure, but I've seen and heard it used in many instances, and have even used it myself.

Besides, I'm not sure why the ponies swearing--which this really isn't--should be notable anyway. I mean, sure, if Dashie were to show up and start throwing f-bombs left and right, that would be...extremely bizarre, but even that wouldn't bother me that much.

Well I speak German and I understand "Drink". It's just the southern accent, just look on youtube how many have misheard AJ ;)

Also Dreck is pronounced differently

Edited by PonyPunk

Oh damn I forgot about that, yeah that's actually a bit stronger a curse than people think in French.

I'm not sure if it's "dreck" or "drink". But having spoken German for almost 14 years, I can assure you that "Dreck" is not a swear word. It can be used as a word for "dirt", "mud", or "poo", and I suppose it's possible to curse with it (though "Mist" is far more common in cursing than "Dreck").

But it's a far cry from "shit" - the word you're looking for there is "Scheiße".

• Brohoof 2

Never thought a show like this would have so many secrets!

Like Anamaniacs or Rocko's Modern Life, MLP has the wonderful tendency to slip in references or ideas which elude the overall grasp of the target audience (e.g., the Looney Toons references; the philosophical issues raised in episodes such as Feeling Pinkie Keen) but can be understood by adults without alienating either demographic. Therefore, you rarely if ever felt talked down to as an adult watching MLP, and a child can understand the cartoon comedy and basic moral tales. It's quite a balance they have achieved.