Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something I Noticed In "The Secret Of My Excess"

Ms. J. L. Snickers

Rainbow Dash is too self-minded to think of a gift Spike would like. (not saying it in a negative way) She's Rainbow Dash. She is bound to give an athletic gift.

Edited by Twilie Sparkle
  • Brohoof 7

I think you may be thinking too hard its probably just because its a stereo typical boy thing and rainbow dash is athletic so the present represents her personality OR it may be symbolic I really dont know Iv never watched that episode all the way through for some reason.

I guess so. I just realized that Twilight gives Spike the same self-minded thing every year (a book), and yet the dumbell RD slapped a bow on somehow is just in the background.

Ugh. I gotta stop eating all these oranges. They're going to my head and making the ponies do crazy things.

I always thought she just forgot it was Spike's birthday and at the last minute, she took a dumbell from her gym, put a bow on it, and took it to the party.

Yeah, that seems like Dash.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 1

I always thought she just forgot it was Spike's birthday and at the last minute, she just took a dumbell from her gym, put a bow on it, and took it to the party.

Yeah, that seems like Dash.

Yep, okay, that's officially my headcanon. ^_^ Thank you for answering my question, poster with the epic Rarity icon. XD

And I find it hilariously ironic that I mention I'm eating oranges, and the Citrus King shows up. :D

• Brohoof 1

I think it's Rainbow Dash's way of saying Spike should work out. The fact that he's young doesn't really faze her, especially because she probably prides herself on her own strength, and believes everyone else should.

• Brohoof 1

I guess Dashie wanted to give him a dumbell because, she thinks that he will work out probably. Dragons need strength too, but they got to pay. Probably, because she is thinking of a thoughtful athletic gift next time.

My brother let me borrow his lighter dumb bells when I was a child.

I saw it as sort of a symbol of kinship. Adults often give children more adult gifts to make them feel big and mature.

Letting them sip a beer, taking them to a PG-13 movie, giving them an airsoft gun. I think RD didn't want to baby him and give him something more "big boy".

• Brohoof 2

Girl's got a reputation to uphold. She wasn't going to give him a gem blender to make diamond smoothies with.

But she probably gave him a hug when nopony else was looking...

Edited by John Mellenclop
  • Brohoof 2

No. Don't EVER stop eating those oranges. All will fall against the uprising of the oranges. Might aswell join their side while you still can.

I guess so. I just realized that Twilight gives Spike the same self-minded thing every year (a book), and yet the dumbell RD slapped a bow on somehow is just in the background.

Ugh. I gotta stop eating all these oranges. They're going to my head and making the ponies do crazy things.

Ummmm comedic purposes?

No In reality since Rainbow is an athletic she probably gave Spike something she thought he would use, but at the same time kinda leaning towards what she likes.

Like when you buy a gift for someone, but you kinda like the gift yourself.

Spike is a dragon, not a human boy. Stop putting too much human attributes to a non-human character. This isn't that hard a concept.

Bonus points for the irony.  It's kind of interesting, though...it's considered acceptable to attribute human attributes to some kinds of characters, but not so much to others.

Y'see, MAYBE I'm giving this ore than it's worth, but what if:

Dash already knew about the dragon greed thingy, so she gave him the simple present (notice that AJ did too..) to stop his greed expanding and stop him tearing the place down...

Or she might have just forgotten and grabbed it at the last minute like someone said above...Which I have to admit, sounds more like the Dash we know...

Uh, all of the ponies did that. Not just Dashie. It's just that Dash's is the most obvious because of the comedic clash with the whole "Spike is a baby dragon" mindset.

Bonus points for the irony.  It's kind of interesting, though...it's considered acceptable to attribute human attributes to some kinds of characters, but not so much to others.

Yes, of course you can apply human attributes to characters, but expecting EVERY SINGLE HUMAN ATTRIBUTE, like say, the way age works, is what I was pointing out. Also, what irony?

I always just thought it was because Rainbow Dash, when looking for a present for somepony else, would automatically gravitate towards things she herself would find cool and useful, rather than what somepony else would prefer. Not out of direct selfishness, but just because she wants them to have something she thinks is awesome. I guess instead of boxing it up, the animators decided to put a bow on it because of the irony of having something for working out having a pretty little yellow bow on.