Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Ponies with Navels' Trend Discussion

Love*Potion

Would somepony please care to explain to me the new "Navel Trend" for ponies? I personally don't understand the reference and I don't think it adds to the cuteness factor to the character.

My apologies for being so ignorant but my curiosity has gotten the better of me img-1315863-1-huh.png

• Brohoof 3

Some people find it cute. Each person has their own personal preferences on things that make the ponies cuter (Yes, it's possible). It could be socks, juice boxes, milkshakes, or navels. (I personally like the milkshake poses. So cute)

• Brohoof 1

Some people find it cute. Each person has their own personal preferences on things that make the ponies cuter (Yes, it's possible). It could be socks, juice boxes, milkshakes, or navels. (I personally like the milkshake poses. So cute)

Ok! Thanks for the insight. I have to agree that the socks are pretty cute, but in my opinion the ponies are great the way they are! It's interesting how people find the navel cute, I think it's distracting... blink.png  

Ok! Thanks for the insight. I have to agree that the socks are pretty cute, but in my opinion the ponies are great the way they are! It's interesting how people find the navel cute, I think it's distracting... blink.png  

It's pretty cute. And socks are cute as well. But my preference would have to be the milkshake. I mean how can you not say D'aww to this

post-13690-0-07438900-1364519131_thumb.png

post-13690-0-30957800-1364519163_thumb.png

• Brohoof 5

Ponies with socks, ponies with navels, ponies with juice boxes; the list goes on and on. Everyone finds different things that make ponies cuter for them, personally. I started the whole navel thing on here because I tend to find navels interesting/attractive in general, and so on ponies they make them cuter for me derpy_emoticon1.png

• Brohoof 3

Can you give an image of the navel thing?

I actually don't have a  clue what your talking about hehe :P

But yeah, milkshake's is cool :) but yeah, I know on reddit you would get a week where people drew each pony with the same "theme" :)

It's pretty cute. And socks are cute as well. But my preference would have to be the milkshake. I mean how can you not say D'aww to this

attachicon.gifsnowdrop_drinking_milkshake___vector_by_kotanom-d5z2dze.png

attachicon.giftumblr_me4elvxIxr1rrxbq2o1_500.png

Dear God! The cuteness! It's too powerful! Noooo! *dies after being exposed to deadly amounts of adorableness*

But, seriously, I love the milkshake poses. However, the sock thing just doesn't click with me, or the navel trend for that matter. Now, navAl ponies would be cool...

• Brohoof 2

You have too examples right over your head. Both CD's avatar and signature contains a navel. But if you want more examples, I suggest you check out the first post on the Pony Navel Avatar Revolution thread.

Or a combination thereof. Like navel ponies with socks!

Edited by Navel Princess Luna
  • Brohoof 5

Can you give an image of the navel thing?

A "Navel" is just a fancy term for a "bellybutton"

Ponies don't typically have them in the show, but I have seen quite a few fan art drawings that have them smile.png  

post-13636-0-05613200-1364522939_thumb.png

• Brohoof 5

A "Navel" is just a fancy term for a "bellybutton"

Ponies don't typically have them in the show, but I have seen quite a few fan art drawings that have them img-1316094-1-smile.png  

img-1316361-2-attachicon.gif239128__UNOPT__safe_spitfire_sunglasses_plane_radio_5101fca57f123bfd7900000c.png.png

>C.Discord's previous avatar <3

Interesting to note that horses/ponies, being mammals, do have umbilical scars just as humans do (even though theirs is more of a lined scar than a circular indent). Meaning MLP ponies (who are made to be human reminiscent) having human-ish navels is technically more accurate to their anatomy than having no visible navel at all, like the show.

Unless the show writers and Lauren Faust are trying to hint to us that ponies come from eggs tongue.png

• Brohoof 4

>C.Discord's previous avatar <3

Interesting to note that horses/ponies, being mammals, do have umbilical scars just as humans do (even though theirs is more of a lined scar than a circular indent). Meaning MLP ponies, who are made to be human reminiscent, having human-ish navels is technically more accurate to their anatomy than having no visible navel at all, like the show.

Unless the show writers and Lauren Faust are trying to hint to us that ponies come from eggs tongue.png

I always wondered about this actually kinda. I know call me weird Xd.

I kinda thought it would be kinda under their fur coat though? I mean eventually all their fur would grow over it. Thats how it makes sense personally I'd think.

As for the actual Navel thing in general.

I don't really care Xd. I think it can be kinda cute it some cases, it depends. Sometimes it can be a bit weird though to. All depends.

you know what I really love though? Ponies with things in their mouth. Anything really pencils, scarfs whatever Xd. I dunno why I find that adorable..

But thats another topic :P.

Everyone has things they find make ponies more adorable i guess, theres been alot of little trends I guess such as the navel one, and the sock one, and all that stuff. I normally don't follow it since well I don't even know how to draw art of my OC with a navel or something and I normally have my OC as my avvie so yeah Xd.

Maybe I should try drawing that one time Xd.

I always wondered about this actually kinda. I know call me weird Xd.

I kinda thought it would be kinda under their fur coat though? I mean eventually all their fur would grow over it. Thats how it makes sense personally I'd think.

It is hidden underneath their coat. It's not easy to see :3

I've altered the thread title to be more specific. I also think this thread may be better off in Sugarcube, since it's a fandom trend.

• Brohoof 2

I don't really get the whole navel thing myself, but I guess it's just a different presence for some people.

Then again, I never really got the whole socks thing either.

But now that I think about it...

Mayor Mare with a navel in socks next to a roaring fire...

*Notices wingboner*

Excuse me for a moment, I must take care of... things...

*Leaves in a hurry*

It just seems weird. There is not really much to add besides the fact that it seems abnormal to draw ponies(not humanized) with belly buttons. I have seen some avatars with ponies drawn with belly buttons. I have nothing against it, but it just seems...weird. blink.png

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

You can read this and probably understand what's going on!

http://mlpforums.com/topic/51720-pony-navel-avatar-revolution/

Tl;dr it's a fad some users here came up with and thought it was funny to make it their avatars.

Man, have I missed a few things since I was gone... Thank you for that. But, how is it funny? I seriously don't see the humor in it besides it being...suggestive.

Edited by BronyPony

Well all mammals have them, but they are the most obvious in humans. I think people just don't realize what they look like in a horse and draw what they know.

It isn't the animal I am talking about; it's the art style. The original doesn't have bellybuttons on the ponies. Of course all animals have them. If you didn't how would...nvm.

It isn't the animal I am talking about; it's the art style. The original doesn't have bellybuttons on the ponies. Of course all animals have them. If you didn't how would...nvm.

Actually both my signature and avatar are belly button originals,  they weren't added on.

There's plenty of pony art as well that has belly buttons vanilla,   as to why they draw them.....because they do.   They probably find it more endearing than anything else.  Tummies can make things cuter, and bellybuttons add details to the tummy.

• Brohoof 2

Moving this over to Sugarcube Corner.

I'd hardly call it suggestive, it's just that some artists want to add them either for a laugh or to add a bit more to the anatomy of the pony they are drawing.

To be fair the only reason I did mine was to join in the revolution thing for a laugh, as you can see it doesn't really add a lot to my OC. It's just drawing preference.

Well I personally think it's quite cute.

But since you're talking about the art style and not the actual animal, of course it's going to be different from the shows original art! People draw them with longer legs, snouts, different eyes, ears... You name it. Belly buttons is just a other way of interpreted art. Although it seems normal to keep your art as close to the show as possible, there's always gonna be these variations, part of which is the brony fandom.

(edited)

I get what you're saying, but you'd be surprised what people think they know or don't know about animals. I teach about animals for a living. :-) But I think the bigger point is that people copy what they see and don't always think outside the box. Plus they just find it fun and cool looking.

Edited by Nature Spell