Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Ponies with Navels' Trend Discussion

Love*Potion

I whole heartedly approve of this. That little addition just makes the ponies more cute and attractive. So simple, yet I wouldn't have thought of it. Throw in 2 pair of socks and we're golden.

Sadly I have yet to find art featuring socks and belly buttons.

• Brohoof 1

I could understand people finding it cute. Hadn't heard of it until now.

But probably the biggest danger, if anything, is that if it's misplaced by just an inch or two by the artist, suddenly it's a vagina. :unsure:

It's just a hunch,  but part of me is saying you don't actually know what those look like. 

Not yet, but I think they should be :3 A 'sub-thing' to the pony tummy 'thing' xP

Dash, Pinkie, Vinyl Scratch and Rarity are best candidate ponies for belly button rings.

Needles near tummies are scary.  Tummies are scary enough, but adding a needle in....urk

I think the belly button thing is pretty cute as it, at least in my mind, makes you want to rub the pony's belly. A lot like a dog gets even more adorable when it's asking for a belly rub.

Although this has set off a head canon in my head about the umbilical cord and it being cut when born. How are horses born? They must be born like most mammals but is the umbilical cord cut by a doctor pony in a hospital? If not. What is done about cutting it? And if there are in-y belly buttons, there must be out-y belly buttons, right?

Although this has set off a head canon in my head about the umbilical cord and it being cut when born. How are horses born? They must be born like most mammals but is the umbilical cord cut by a doctor pony in a hospital? If not. What is done about cutting it? And if there are in-y belly buttons, there must be out-y belly buttons, right?

Horses have umbilical scars like humans and most mammals, but it's not a neat little hole like with humans; it's an elongated scar, looking similar to a scratch mark. I've never looked into how that's dealt with on a real-horse basis, but, as far as head canon for the show goes, I would imagine ponies would adopt the human method of umbilical cord removal, as they possess so many human traits already, their fan-given navels are obviously humans', and I don't see the show writers trying to explain a horses' navel in a kids' show where they may not understand it, when it'd be so much easier to simply give ponies a human navel that kids of all ages would instantly understand and identify with.

* As it's relevant, I've recently created a DeviantART group focused entirely on this fandom concept and trend tongue.png Whether you're into ponies with navels or not, if you have a DA, you can click my signature if you want to check it out.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I don't have a thing for ponies with socks, navels, juice boxes, or what have you like some other people. For me it's almost an OCD thing, you could say. Navels help to tie everything together. Show me a pony standing on their hind legs without one, and that obviously looks quite normal. Throw a navel in there and everything looks cleaner somehow. Like if you were to remove it she would then look unusual. Best way I can think of to describe it right now.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

After seeing that my so far successful DeviantART group promoting the ponies with belly buttons fandom trend, sparked EQD's owner to post about them in a site post, it's been pointed out to me that belly buttons are in fact canon :3

3:09-3:10, Suited for Success, just as Dash crashes through the window and lands. Cast it off as a throw in glitch or forgetfullness to remove something from an initial sketch if you will, but ponies are mammals, they have belly buttons, and the show showed it at least once ;)

And on best fucking pony, no less.

post-4006-0-27480800-1393317959.png

• Brohoof 3

• 2 months later...

Ah yes, I forgot all about this thread...

Your pictures of Fluttershy are so very...

... Adorable.

I never really shared my real thoughts on this, even way back when I posted over a year ago.

I honestly don't mind the belly button thing, I mean, it just seems like an extra addition to a character more than anything else. Doesn't really matter to me either way.

• Brohoof 2

Would Twily with a belly button make her more adorkable?

No..no...it's not possible, or is it?!

come_to_twilight_by_dm29_d7ak8pa.png 

By the gods, my eyes, it's true. xD

• Brohoof 3

I have a feeling that the Japanese are behind every trend that goes "cute"

nek minit...

Don't be absurd plenty of cute trends have been done by... er... what is the nation of origin for the artist that started this trend again? :blink:  Also... who owns Hasbro at the moment, are we sure it's not secretly owned by someone else? World Domination via cuteness, the perfect strategy! :okiedokielokie:

In a community that idolizes colourful ponies and preaches friendship mainly comprised of grown men, you find the whole navels thing to be weird?

Not being a douche or anything, just thought I'd point that out.  :squee:

Interesting factoid: navels of real horses don't look much like those of humans.  They're not very pronouned and not an indentation.  They're usually just a slight bump covered by a swirl of hair.

Anyway, regarding whether the ponies are drawn with them or not, I'm pretty neutral.

• 2 weeks later...

It is hidden underneath their coat. It's not easy to see :3

It's just that the artist "shaves" the fur around the navel area for added cuteness! ;)

• Brohoof 1

It's just that the artist "shaves" the fur around the navel area for added cuteness! ;)

For all we know, navel shaving is something mares do if they're interested in showing off their navel :3 Mares who get belly button rings would do it automatically.

• Brohoof 1