Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Parents?

Naught Important

i don't know if they are rich, but I'm sure they have a decent chunk of money for sure. Just due to living in canterlot which is full of upper class ponies it seems.

But i'm sure they aren't super rich or anything, just in pretty good standings as far as cash.

In my headcanon, they're scientists. Astronomers, or perhaps astrophysicists. So, yeah I think they have some money. And Canterlot is full of wealthy ponies. I don't think they would have tried to let their daughter go to a special school if they weren't already upper class.

(edited)

Probably yes. They live in Canterlot, Shining is a captain of the royal guards and Twi was in a prestigious school.

Or perhaps the writers wanted to write the best for Twilight without even thinking about her parents being rich and stuff.

Edited by Dark Moonlight

Rich or not I think it is fair to say that they are clearly making more than enough for an adequate living as well as a few extras. At the very least they probably make what on earth would be the equivalent of a 6 figure income.

I guess they are rich since, they were able to have Shining Armor as Captain of the Royal Guard, and they were able to do all of the things that you just listed. I'm pretty sure that they are rich, Twilight's parents were probably able to get a lot of bits by getting jobs.

I think that they're wealthy. Granted, Equestria works differently than our world, but it seems like they have decent connections. Their daughter got an entrance exam into a prestigious school, and their son became captain of the royal guard rather quickly...  If they didn't start off with money, they must have it by now. Princess and Captain of the royal guard must be well paid gigs, and I don't see a reason why Twilight and Shining wouldn't share their wealth with the ponies that supported their dreams. 

Twilight's babysitter was princess cadance... Before she got her cutie mark/had her magical potential discovered. So yes she almost certainly qualifies as nobility.

• 2 weeks later...

I concur, from the little we've seen of them I think it's safe to say that they're definitely at least upper middle class by Canterlot living standards, which is probably more like lower-middle upper class by the rest of Equestria's living standards, but we have to adjust for the to-be-expected higher cost of living in Canterlot.  They both look like they work actually; can't say what it is they do since we've never seen anything to indicate that, but I will say I'm fairly certain that Twilight's dad isn't a royal guard like Shining Armor.  I don't know why, but he just doesn't look like that type of pony; looks like more of desk-job pony I guess, or maybe some kind of professor.  In fact, in my head canon I guess I'd say that I could easily see both of her parents being professors, or one of them being a professor and the other a doctor.  But I guess until we learn more about them I can't say for sure what either of them do for a living.  Still, again, I do think it's a safe bet that they're at least upper middle class residents of Canterlot.

Well based on everything that's happened, they probably know Princess Celestia personally. And since they live in Canterlot, that hints that they do have a fair amount of bits in their pockets.

Adding to the fact that their son is Captain of the Royal Guard, their daughter-in-law is an Alicorn Princess who rules over her own Kingdom, and their daughter is Princess Celestia's personal student who represents Magic in the Elements of Harmony, defeated Nightmare Moon and Discord, thus saving Equestria, and is now an Alicorn Princess....

I like thinking of them as the Gatsbys of Canterlot. They're not well-off for anything they do personally, but they're still well-off. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think Twilight's parents are rich, but they are rich enough to live in Canterlot, and they can live an easy life in Canterlot, I guess.

Edited by Minty Wintergreen

(edited)

I'd say they have money and connections, but they are for sure the best or at least luckiest parents in having a Captain of the Guard son (who also married a princess) and a very gifted daughter who became a princess herself. Those facts stand above any other I think.

Edited by Nature Spell

• 2 months later...

I mean both their kids (that we know about) are two home runs so to speak.
Do you think their upper class?  Maybe even regal?

I mean if twilight was some noble that might explain how her parents got that magic school audience.
Or how Shinning armor got his position.

Or even cadence baby sitting twilight sparkle might been a political favor?

I mean it's totally not necessary but normally i always assumed twilight came from two poor unicorns,

I mean on the other hand to rich nobles would been that much more wiling to ship one kid off to military school and the other magic studies.

Twilight's Mother is called Twilight Velvet. I believe her design is based on generation 1 Twilight.

Also for those who have the Celestia comic, you'll notice Twilight Velvet is in amongst the fillies that visit Inkwell when Celestia is trying to convince her to become an instructor.

post-20017-0-24703100-1383205695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malinter