Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Parents?

Naught Important

(edited)

post-9228-0-40436600-1365027769_thumb.png

So we all have seen them before.

The mother, whose appearence is probably based off of previous generation Twilight Sparkle

And the Father, who I can't relate to anything I can think of.

Their Son and Daughter are now Prince and Princesses. Are they still considered "Townsfolk of Canterlot?" Or are they now a part of Royalty? I mean, they gave birth to the one of the Princes and Princesses for Pete's sake!

What do you think life is like for them now?

Edited by Cobalt Flytrap

My head canon is that they are upper middle class and somewhat well connected. Not part of the elite but may hold responsible positions. My first fanfic has Twilight with her parents. It's short but I included them in it.

I'm not really sure the story behind their lives.  I know the mother's name is Twilight Velvet.  And I can't remember the father's name.

But whether they are royalty or not, I'm not sure.  They are AT LEAST a respected couple within Canterlot.

Twilight's parents must be the proudest parents alive. Birthed and raised not one, but two royalties? Damn, dude, they really hit the jackpot. Puts any Harvard parents to shame.

They always struck me as upper middle class at minimum, given their ability to send Twilight to such a prestigious school. After Twilight's coronation, I'm sure they're at least highly respected, and likely have to deal with the media. They likely also have Royal Guard protection. Some of these, such as new connections and recognition, may be beneficial, while others, such as possible threats and invasion of privacy, may be inconvenient. Whatever the case, they're definitely the envy of every parent in Equestria.

In the Android and iPhone video game, you can build a house for Twilight's Mom (and I assume her Dad) in Canterlot, but not in Ponyville. I'm not sure how canon the game is, just something I noticed.

Well they live in canterlot (we know because that's where Twilight used to live even before she was Celestia's student).

So try may be a middle class or somewhere in the wealthy, but not rich wealthy.

Hard to explain

Even with both children being royalty , I don't think it technically makes them royalty. At least not a title of prince/princess/queen/king .   Unless we say that Twilight is actually a queen or Shining Armor is actually a king , then I don't know maybe Twilight Velvet would get the title " Queen Mother" .  From what I understand from the royal wedding of England though, neither of Kate's parents or sister got a title.

Technically being the parents of nobility does not make you nobility. However, that doesn't mean that Twilight's parents aren't already nobility. The only titles we've actually seen in show are Prince and Princess, and they don't seem to mean the same thing as they do here. So there may be Barons, Dukes, and whatnot. If I was to guess, I would say Baronet or Banneret; a title above a knight, but not technically a peer.

Even with both children being royalty , I don't think it technically makes them royalty. At least not a title of prince/princess/queen/king .   Unless we say that Twilight is actually a queen or Shining Armor is actually a king , then I don't know maybe Twilight Velvet would get the title " Queen Mother" .  From what I understand from the royal wedding of England though, neither of Kate's parents or sister got a title.

Princess Mother just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

I think they were quite respected to begin with but yes with having a princess and element for a daughter and a former head of the royal guard and now husband of the alicorn ruler of the crystal empire, that they would be on the must have list for any important function in Canterlot.

Truly ponies everypony should know.

I think they could get a loose "royal" title like "Duke/Duchess"  of something

now with having  two kids enter into the ranks of the higher end

of things.  But having a bit more background on the parents would

be a nice idea for a eps or any of the other ponies

we know nothing bout in truth....

(edited)

Don't they live in Canterlot? I thought they did. If they do live in Canterlot then they're probably generally rich and/or well-connected.

That said, if their daughter and son are both royalty, I'm sure they'd be lifted to the class of their daughter and son if they chose to.

Edited by Pilot

Upper middle class. Probably respected by the Aristocrats, but generally disliked because they're jealous. And they're probably the proudest parents alive, Velvet Sparkle and Night Light.

They would be a unique case, I assume. Considering the fact that Luna and Celestia are thousands of years old and we have no way to tell if they even have parents. I don't think there would be any official policy on it for that reason. 

• 3 months later...

Just think about it: They live in Canterlot, a city known for it's elitism. Twilight's old babysitter was Cadance, a princess, and they were able to send Twilight to a prestigous school. What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 14

IT'S ANASTASIA ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

*Read at own risk if you don't understand* VVV

for those that don't understand, Anastasia was a Fox Film back in 1997 where the princess lost her parents at birth and then found out later on she'd become a princess and back to her normal home. NO that's not how it happened with Twilight and I'm sure I've killed any chance of you finding the joke funny sooooo... yeah HOW BOUT THEM PARENTS?

I'd like to think they're the middle class OF the high class if you know what I mean. They're not Bill Gates rich, but they are "the guy who invented underwear" rich.

IT'S ANASTASIA ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

*Read at own risk if you don't understand* VVV

for those that don't understand, Anastasia was a Fox Film back in 1997 where the princess lost her parents at birth and then found out later on she'd become a princess and back to her normal home. NO that's not how it happened with Twilight and I'm sure I've killed any chance of you finding the joke funny sooooo... yeah HOW BOUT THEM PARENTS?

I'd like to think they're the middle class OF the high class if you know what I mean. They're not Bill Gates rich, but they are "the guy who invented underwear" rich.

Anastasia was a real person along with her family and Rasbuten ;) 

I'd say she does come from a rich family...With very high social connections..Look at who her brother is and I'm sure the school she went to was very expensiveness  in Gabby Gum's gossip stated Twilight thought she was better then ponyville xD which we know isn't true.

(edited)

That's a pretty good question. I'd say they probably aren't rich per se, but they've definitely got to be at least upper-middle class to live in a place like Canterlot.

Edited by Lowline Thrash

I dunno.  Things like her sitter and Shining Armor being in the royal guard could be explained away a little once she got Celestia's notice.  I would think that if you want a particular pony studying under you, that you would help that pony's family.  Even getting your own niece to babysit so that she could help her study magic.  And who's to say they lived in Canterlot before Twi got accepted at Magic Kindergarten and became Celestia's student?  Again, could just be Celestia taking care of Twilight's family.

There are poor people in big, important cities. Is everyone in D.C. or London rich? We also don't have any idea how educational funding works in Equestria. Considering the school's title, it seems to be that if you qualify, they want you. I doubt Celestia wants Equestria's geniuses grubbing in the mud, plotting revolution. I can't really justify any special reason why Twi would've had a royal foalsitter beyond Cadance choosing her at random, unless we're going the Chessmasterlestia route. Even the extreme upper nobility would be hard-pressed to land her on purpose.

On Shining's end of things, the military has always been the route for those of low birth to ascend the stairs of power. Many a military ruler has come from the back of beyond. My headcanon has it that the Guard is a sink for those ponies with military-type cutie marks. There isn't much call for combat skills in peaceful Equestria, so there needs to be something for them to do so they don't turn into bandits or something. Shining's position may not be all that prestigious.

Odds are, they are somewhere Middle Class. Most ponies in Equestria seem to do fine for themselves and I don't think Twi's family is any exception.

Twilights parents aren't probably really rich, probably some where near the middle class. They just seem like the ones that aren't really rich nor really poor.