Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why Dubstep?

King

So we ALL know what Dubstep is...what with the Wubz and all...

But why do people like Dubstep?

Well this is my explanation:

I Love Dubstep because it's a very high octane and adrenalinistic music that gets me fairly pumped whenever Im listening to some of the louder tracks.

The only way I can explain it is due to my youth and my upbringing, playing many video games, sport and always on the look out for good music. Such a lifestyle tends to make us younger people more active in more then just our physical lives, but also in our tastes.

We love games where you run around pumping out crap load of lead into undead monsters and such and we love to listen to loud,thumping music that leaves us deaf for several hours after its finished.

But enough from me...

Why do you like Dubstep/Drumstep or anything similar?

or If you don't...

Why DONT you like Dubstep/Drumstep or anythign similar?

• Brohoof 7

I don't like dubstep because it all sounds the same; I don't like bass heavy pieces; I just don't enjoy the melodies. My favorite music is Classical, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, and Jazz, so naturally it makes sense that my tastes are just too diametrically opposed to those who enjoy dubstep.

• Brohoof 1

I don't like dubstep because it all sounds the same; I don't like bass heavy pieces; I just don't enjoy the melodies. My favorite music is Classical, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, and Jazz, so naturally it makes sense that my tastes are just too diametrically opposed to those who enjoy dubstep.

Oh my friend!

You must open your mind like me :3

Im a MASSIVE Fan of Frank Sinatra and Crooning in itself...I have a WIDE variety of music likes...and it's because I open my mind to the beat so to say...

• Brohoof 1

I'm not the biggest fan of Dubstep, and I'm not a guy who says it's because it all sounds the same, although I can see a little merit in that argument.

For me, I just don't like most of it. I can't explain why, it just doesn't appeal to me.

However, a lot of Brony songs are Dubstep, and I actually like a lot of them. Perhaps it's because they relate to ponies, but some of them actually sound different and get me pretty pumped, especially if it's the background music of a game. I know there was some Dubstep in Rainbow Dash: Pony Disaster that was freaking awesome and made me bob my head back and forth.

• Brohoof 1

I like dubstep, but sometimes, it can get a little overboard and too much. A balance is a balance, but overall dubstep is cool. I still think there's WAY too much electronic music in the brony fandom. 

I agree. I don't want to force my musical tastes on anypony else and I certainly love electronic music enough, but I would like more variety in the line up of Brony songs.

Preferably some hardcore gangsta rap about Pinkie riding around Ponyville in her Range Rover capping ponies.

But seriously, Brony musicians can do what they like, but I agree that it would be nice to hear some more rock or metal songs from our talented folks in the fandom.

(edited)

Oh my friend!

Im a MASSIVE Fan of Frank Sinatra and Crooning in itself...I have a WIDE variety of music likes...and it's because I open my mind to the beat so to say...

Okay, it looks like someone here hit my soft spot.

Because here's a fan of dubstep who claims to be a massive fan of Frank Sinatra. Which, to be quite Frank (hehe), anyone who's a fan of Frank Sinatra is a pretty cool guy in my opinion.

At first I thought I would go into great depths speaking my mind about this genre, but now I will do so in a simpler way.

I think the argument that dubstep is "blood pumping and adrenalizing" is not very effective, because there's plenty of music that can do that, the only difference is that they can do it better methinks. For example:

And that's not even THAT adrenalizing. Take a gander at this beauty wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrVLOOL7jAU

As a whole, I don't find dubstep to be an appealing genre, but hey, I'm the kind of guy that listen's to anything that sounds good. A dubstep song I do like is slam by pendulum.

Edited by Angus Young
  • Brohoof 1

I used to hate Dubstep,but being the music connoissuer that i am i decided to give it a listen. That was 2 years ago. I personally grew fond of listening to dubstep since its the best music to work to or to fight to. I find that i power through hard, strenuous work when the wubs are punching my eardrums. Also when im bored i like to pretend that i am fighting people to dubstep music and winning.

I enjoy EDM-particularly house and trance-drum and bass, and doom metal more than I enjoy dubstep, personally.

The main reasons we enjoy music are because it helps us to accomplish tasks, especially tedious ones, by combating boredom and helping us achieve higher levels of attention to them, provokes intellectual curiosity and urges us to analyse the song, and also influences our emotions.

Why we enjoy different genres of music, however, is, for the most part, a mystery, but it is highly influenced by culture, upbringing, and personal taste.

But, I digress, this thread probably wasn't intended to be responded to by a small rant like this.

I enjoy Complextro much for the same reasons that you do.  It's exhilerating and gets you moving.  Drumstep is also marvelous, as combining two wonderful things can only make it better.  An artists that's really good but not well known is Fonik.  I reccommend him to anybody who has taste in Complextro.

Also: you should correct your title.  The music your referring to is indeed Complextro.  If you want Dubstep, search up Skream for a good example.

Bass.

Its all about the bass.

Literally, the thing I love simply the most is the bass in most songs. Not the wobble bass, but the actual subbass used in some of them. Its magical to my ears.

After that, it just sounds cool to me for some reason. Not all of them, mind you, but a good majority.

• Brohoof 1

WAAAAAAAUUUUUWUBWUBUBUBUWAAAAAASSDH"POUR#$RDEDED wmtg.mgq/T%$:;br />

Typical Dubstep song to me. Now, I don't neccessarily hate Dubstep... It's not my mantra.

It's really easy to overdue it, though. I want a song, not earrape.

git wat ah'm saiyan?

Although, there are only a handfull I enjoy.

As for Brony mus-- ugh.... TOO. MUCH. FRICKIN'. DUBSTEP.

Srsly, 95% of Brony music is Dubstep. Doesn't that rustle your jimmies a bit?

Again, only a couple I enjoy.

I finished my post. Where's my cookie?

An artists that's really good but not well known is Fonik

*cough* "Hero" and "Mayan Apocalypse" ... I love Fonik...

And no I was talking about Dubstep... trust me on that xD

But to me, some of the best Dubstep artists are those on Youtube...they deserve ALOT more recognition...

Oh my friend!

My mind is already really open. :\

My musical tastes seem pretty broad. I've listened to some dubstep, and the only piece I like is the Skrillex/Damian Marley collab.

(edited)

Dubstep is a fantastic style of music! Though sometimes it can be overdone. 

Like this for example;

But dubstep with a calm bass to it, can sound fantastic if you know what you're doing! smile.png

Like this;

~Luna

Edited by DJ Luna♥
  • Brohoof 2

I guess people just like to be able to have more fun with their equalizers nowadays.  Though I do like dubstep (as long as it isn't mainstream) I do much more enjoy stuff like chillstep or any of the more smooth Edm's and stuff like that.

Dubstep that actually sounds like music is really good.The bass,beat,and loudness of dubstep is actually quite amazing when it's done well.Unfortunately,most dubstep just sounds like garbage to my ears as most of them (or at least,the ones I seem to have the luck of listening to) are trying to forcefully rape my ears of any hearing capabilities.The only good dubstep song I can name off the top of my head is the Skrillex/Damian collab.

Dubstep is a fantastic style of music! Though sometimes it can be overdone. 

Umm, not to burst your bubble or anything...but that's Electro House....

Not Dubstep. :I

Both of them....

The second one even states its Electro House in the title...

• Brohoof 1

Umm, not to burst your bubble or anything...but that's Electro House....

Not Dubstep. :I

Both of them....

The second one even states its Electro House in the title...

They're both dubstep, names don't mean it's not. :P

It can be known as both, they both have the same qualities of an electro house, and a dubstep. 

~Luna

• Brohoof 1

I really do enjoy a good dubstep song and I do agree with everyone in this thread that there is a lot of good and bad with relating to the genre. That is really true, but like anything dig hard enough and you'll find some nice gems. It maybe preference on what type of music or maybe just what style you're into. But for me, like many others it is all about getting pumped and doing something awesome while the bass is blaring.

They're both dubstep, names don't mean it's not. tongue.png

It can be known as both, they both have the same qualities of an electro house, and a dubstep. 

~Luna

Dubstep doesn't have a 4/4 going all the way through.

Its snare is on beat 3 instead of 2.

Electro House always has a 4/4 and sometimes a clap/snare on 2.

They are not the same, don't try and make them the same. Yes, they do use similar things, still doesn't make them the same nor can you compare the two like that. And if the artist themselves state its Electro House, then its obviously not Dubstep.

Going by that logic, Drum and Bass must also be the same thing since it can have similar stuff as well, huh?

• Brohoof 1

Dubstep doesn't have a 4/4 going all the way through.

Its snare is on beat 3 instead of 2.

Electro House always has a 4/4 and sometimes a clap/snare on 2.

They are not the same, don't try and make them the same. Yes, they do use similar things, still doesn't make them the same nor can you compare the two like that. And if the artist themselves state its Electro House, then its obviously not Dubstep.

Going by that logic, Drum and Bass must also be the same thing since it can have similar stuff as well, huh?

I didn't mean it specifically, I was talking by technicality. 

I presented those songs because they are similar to dubstep. Not because they are dubstep.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't mean it specifically, I was talking by technicality. 

I presented those songs because they are similar to dubstep. Not because they are dubstep.

I do believe I understand what you're saying, the wobble bass used in it is what you don't like when similar ones are used in Dubstep.

Or do like, as in the second video posted.

Fair enough.

But similarity still isn't a good enough reason to hop genres. Especially considering how many people actually confuse those two genres. Then you just seem like them.

I like dubstep because the popular music industry A.K.A every celebrity at this point, are all on about the same stuff. Now while dubstep is nearly the same, It does not specifically need to have a meaning. And that is good. Because that means i can give the song whatever meaning i want to me, and then something else the next time round.

I dunno what I just said I just like it OK?!

• Brohoof 1

my sister turned me on to dubstep the last time she had visited me. at first i thought it was gonna be some really girly club music but i thought it was pretty hardcore in the end. I normally listen to punk, heavy metal, hardcore, thrash, grincore, rockabilly, and classic hard rock. but, i'm also into industrial, cybergrind, terrorcore, and speedcore. so the first time i heard it, it was love. Infact, i would love to start a solo act that's basically Industrial driven Hardcore (hatebreed and terror influenced) with dubstep breakdowns. 

• Brohoof 1