Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bringing a Non-Brony to BronyCon?

MrBeatnikSoul

So quite awhile ago I decided to go to BronyCon for the second time, and my friend wanted to join me. Since I had no way to book a room (I'm 17) and his parents were going to Baltimore in the same week, I thought "sure, why not?" We got rooms booked and purchased passes, but I'm a little uneasy.

My friend has absolutely no idea about anything related to MLP FIM and he doesn't want to learn anything about it. He's the kind of friend who "accepts" me as a brony but still judges me for it, particularly on the merchandise I wear. When I spoke to him about being absolutely sure about tagging along, he said "Maybe I'll learn something new." I doubt he's willing to, and he's not exactly the smartest apple of the bunch when it comes to respecting fandoms.

Don't get me wrong I'm capable of handling the situation of him following me, but my fear is that he'll have absolutely nothing to do. What am I going to do with a lad who refuses to learn anything about FIM who is going to a convention that has everything to do with it? I can't just drag him around the convention and watch him be awkwardly silent the entire time.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MrBeatnikSoul

Well, the fact that he is willing to go with you in the first place is a sign that he may make the most of what he is doing while at BronyCon.

If he is bored at the con, remember that he is the one who wanted to go in the first place. And while you are trying your best to be a good friend to him, it is not your responsibility to make sure that he has a perfect time while he is there. I do think that you are responsible for being a good friend to him and wanting what is best in a particular situation, but ultimately, because he is choosing to go, his happiness is his own responsibility, and you can't force him to enjoy anything.

I wouldn't worry about it if at all possible. I wouldn't want to make any of my non-brony friends go to a brony convention, but if one of them wanted to go, who am I to stop them?

• Brohoof 3

I think this would be a good opportunity to test if the guy is really your friend. I mean, that shouldn't be the intent, but... I wouldn't think a true friend would judge you for your likes. If he starts making fun of you or others while at the con, maybe it's time to get some new friends. Maybe he actually IS open to at least learning what the fandom is all about. I mean, really, you don't spend money to go to something you don't want to go to, at least a tiny bit.

I had a friend that I tried to get into the fandom for a long time. When I first showed her the show, she wasn't open to it, but she was cool with my liking it. Sometimes she'd poke fun at me for talking about ponies a lot, but nothing really mean. I finally accepted that she wouldn't become apart of the fandom, but so long as she was cool with me liking it, we were fine. A few months ago, she admitted she wanted to buy a Derpy shirt she found at an Anime convention, and a little while later she marathoned the show on Netflix. Now her husband is into it too, and has even tried to tell some of his friends about the show. Sometimes, it just takes time for people to come around, and some don't want to admit they're actually curious.

Just take it easy, don't act like anything is different or wrong, just be casual about the whole thing. A pony con shouldn't be different than any other con, so just play it cool and see what happens.

• Brohoof 3

It sounds to me like your friend could be opening up to the show, or at least the idea of it. If he wasn't interested at all, he wouldn't want to go with you to the convention. Also, him judging you could be a way to try and hide any interest he has in the show. Maybe he's shy about it, and this gives him an excuse to go to a con, saying he's only trying to be supportive of his friend. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go and have fun, and who knows, your friend might end up enjoying it too.

• Brohoof 2

Sounds good. Glad they're open-minded enough to want to actually accompany you. Just be sure to let them know to...stay on guard. The fact is, there is shittons of high-level cosplay and other things that some may consider to be highly over-the-top, that some non-bronies, hell, even we bronies may become a bit freaked out over xD If they know ahead of time that they may see some strangeness, they're probably less likely to have any unpleasant surprises.

• Brohoof 2

Since your friend is willing to go with you, go right ahead and take him. But knowing he judges you for that stuff, I'd probably be prepared to hear some stuff about fellow patrons.

Heh, you know, I offered to take my brother to Bronycon with me as a joke, and he told me heck no. But that's irrelevant. Just thought that was an interesting tid bit I could share.

Regardless, I'm honestly surprised that you have a non-Brony friend who apparently wants to learn nothing about the show who wants to go to Bronycon with you. I don't really get it... unless he's honestly trying to be a good friend, then good on him. If not, then I guess he might be curious and he honestly wants to learn more about the fandom. As Chaotic Discord said, I think you should also try to ease him into some things, unless your friend is used to how cons work with all the cosplaying and such.

The fact that he is actually willing to go with you really says a lot, it sounds like though he may find the idea of so many teenagers and adults being into a show about cartoon ponies a bit strange he is at least dosen't seem to be a hater and might be more curious about why that is the case than he is letting on. I would probably do as CD suggested and ease him into it a bit by letting him know that he may seem some strange stuff but that most of the people there are probably not much different from you.

I think this is a good opportunity, regardless whether your friend actually wants to learn about the show or not. Once at BronyCon, he may either have nothing to do but still respectfully hang out with you there, feels overwhelmed and decides to leave early, or like some have said become a brony himself. 

Since your friend already said he was absolutely sure about tagging along, then why not? We can never know what will happen unless you take him to BronyCon. Best of luck!

2 of my non-brony friends will come with me to GalaCon in Germany this year, but they are different cause - both like some brony-made songs and videos, but one dont want give MLP a chance (He said that he just have no intention to become a brony so he have no need in watching it) and second one watched couple of episodes and said that "well it's funny and well made, but not my thing".

In general I think it's all right to take non-brony friends to brony con if you belive in them but it would be better if you at least show them some videos from other cons (and not only best videos) so they will be ready to it.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...