Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Gilda talk like she's from the 90s?

TheMarkz0ne

I love the 90s. I was born in 93' But in her episode she said

"Dash, you "joshing" me"

Ok I was saying that back in 1999. I actually got beat up for saying that at school. I just want to ask why is Gilda's dialogue outdated as hell. Again  90s were cool

But REALLY... YOUR JOSHING ME!

• Brohoof 3

Gilda is actually secretly a time traveler who got stuck in the future and needs to go back to her time, but she can't. So now, she is stuck in the future and she will never see any of her old friends ever again. What makes things worse it that no one likes her in the future except Rainbow Dash, but even she doesn't like Gilda anymore.

Poor Gilda.

• Brohoof 8

So she could sound... Hip. O.o XD It makes her sound more "dude" like.. In a way. I still say "your joshing me"....I feel so out-dated. But you know... I know nothing.

Because Rainbow Dash is kindof the same way.  Old school cool is less edgy than new school cool, so the way is the cool characters talk has kindof an old style.

I guess that is the most likely reason she speaks the way she does. But I still prefer my theory. But it is cool to think that Gilda represents old school coolness.

I dunno how many of you guys have noticed.....but the whole MLP series is kinda based on the 80s - 90s style....with the wheel carts and steam engine stuff, I could be wrong of course but it just makes sense there's ponies like that in the show.

and for the record, I seen Students at my school talking like that A LOT, which I find quite hilarious to be honest.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, i noticed the "You're joshing me". I personally think this is fun to say, and I use it often. I have no idea why Gilda uses this term, but maybe she thinks it's cool to use old terms and such. I like Blue Moon's idea better though. :)

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, i noticed the "You're joshing me". I personally think this is fun to say, and I use it often. I have no idea why Gilda uses this term, but maybe she thinks it's cool to use old terms and such. I like Blue Moon's idea better though. smile.png

Yes, my idea is so epic, the writers were sworn to secrecy when they wrote that episode and couldn't mention her being a time traveler.

• Brohoof 2

Because retro IS cool. You can take something cool, and then make it COOLER by adding retro flair. Think about it. Doesn't "Hey, I just bought this new cassette!" sound cooler than "Hey, I just downloaded this new album!", or "Yeah, I've got that movie on Betamax" sound cooler than "Yeah, I've got that movie on DVD"?

Yes, my idea is so epic, the writers were sworn to secrecy when they wrote that episode and couldn't mention her being a time traveler.

Yes, you are probably right. Your idea is so much more cooler then the average thinking, so yes, you can feel special. *applause* 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, you are probably right. Your idea is so much more cooler then the average thinking, so yes, you can feel special. *applause* 

Yay! I'm special!

What if my idea is actually true though? If that was the truth, I would feel horrible and guilty about giving Gilda hate.

Yay! I'm special!

What if my idea is actually true though? If that was the truth, I would feel horrible and guilty about giving Gilda hate.

I fit was actually true, it would be pretty cool, but I would feel pretty bad for Gilda. I mean, things have to be sad sometimes, so you shouldn't feel too bad. If it's good for the show, then it will eventually get better later. They probably won't make Gilda suffer forever if they made Trixie fix things. 

• Brohoof 1

I fit was actually true, it would be pretty cool, but I would feel pretty bad for Gilda. I mean, things have to be sad sometimes, so you shouldn't feel too bad. If it's good for the show, then it will eventually get better later. They probably won't make Gilda suffer forever if they made Trixie fix th

My idea would actually make a pretty good episode if they wanted to make an emotional episode that was appropriate. Sure, it would be weird as heck, but it would be sad. It could have Twilight use her alicorn powers to be able to send Gilda back to her time and there would be sad good-byes and stuff.

• Brohoof 2

Her voice is a little less lame then Bab's Seed was. Babs sounded so much like Rosie O'Donald doing her typical niche Brooklyn character (like in League or Her Own and in Tarzan). Annoying.

I like that, I think it gives Gilda a certain charm that I like!

Besides, Equestria isn't in our world, so for all we know, Gilda could be talking ahead of her time, making her even more cool than we think she is. Remember, there is no "90's", or "80's" in their world... for all we know, they could be in that "90's" type of time period. We do know that Cheerilee grew up in a time like the 80's, so maybe it's now the 90's era in their world, at least culturally and not technologically.

• Brohoof 1

I've heard high school kids saying "joshing".....i don't think it's just from the 90's (the term).....It kind of reminds me of the whole "hipster" group.  Back in the 90's, that style considered you a nerd or geek, now it's a mainstream thing...Don't know how that correlates with Gilda, but they both have a 90's vibe...

Actually, I find her more of the 80's type bike chick as her attitude is what really gives it away.

And I guess that's how the writers intended her personality to be, either that, or they decided to class griffons as jerks. XD

Actually, I find her more of the 80's type bike chick as her attitude is what really gives it away.

And I guess that's how the writers intended her personality to be, either that, or they decided to class griffons as jerks. XD

I think it's more of just a case that Gilda was a jerk who happened to be a griffon. I mean, Gustave was kind of uppity at first, but he seemed like a nice guy at the end of MMMystery on the Friendship Express.

Aiight, well back in the day, when I was a cool child.  Someone be tellin' me something was dope. All I would reply is, "you're damn skippy!" 
All I know is that when I was slammin', it was because something had me totally crunk that day. 

You know what I'm saying Dawg?

I was in high school the 90's so I was completely unaware that "cool speech" had moved on since then. I suppose there are people now who don't remember the Clinton Administration or Y2K or the NES or DOS. Huh.

I'm betting the reasons for her speech is that the writers were likewise in High School in the 90's at the latest and thus are also not fully up on how the in crowd mangles English these days.

I always assumed she spoke that way to indicate that she was still living in the past. That's probably the reason why she couldn't accept Rainbow Dash's new friends/town because it would mean she'd have to grow up too. I don't know though for sure, that's what I got when I first saw the episode, however I haven't seen it in a while.

• Brohoof 1