Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Family opinion?

TinkerTorchLighting

Alright, so I have something I want to ask all of you: how does your family feel about you watching MLP? Or, have you not told them?

I guess I'll answer my own question. My dad's kinda indifferent, it doesn't really bother him. My mother, however, keeps flipping back and forth between "I'm okay with this" and "Why did he have to be so screwed up?"...or something to that effect.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. We have a minivan that has a hard drive in the radio, that I've loaded some pony music onto, and will listen to it every now and then when she's riding. One day when she was riding, I was playing "I'll be Waiting (Derpy's Song)" by MandoPony. I pulled into the driveway and parked, and she said "Hold on, I want to listen to this." 

That was a week or two ago. Just last night, I was playing "Children of the Night" (Unknown artist), and she commented "She's not a good pony, is she?" I replied with something along the lines of saying I thought she was delusional and that was the purpose of the whole thing...I hear "They're probably all delusional." I tried to get her to explain it, but she said I'd yell at her...so, I didn't pry.

Yeah...there's my story.

Well I've simply not told anyone about it IRL because 1. I have no reason to, and 2. Nobody has asked yet. Nobody has come into my room yet and said 'hey, what's that cartoon or watching'? or 'why do you have ponies as your wallpaper'.

Eh...

My parents don't know, but my brothers do. One of them is a Brony and he's pretty cool with it, although the other one really doesn't get it and constantly says that it's "Out of Character" for me to like the show, whatever that means.

The rest of my extended family, save for my cousins, doesn't know either, but that's mostly because I don't talk to them much.

My family couldn't care less what I watch or do.

So I guess that is a bonus for me, since I don't have to go explaining about anything.

• Brohoof 2

Dad knows, but he doesn't really care. I bet he has an opinion, but he hasn't outwardly shown it.

Mom actually thinks it's cute. In her eyes, it symbolizes that I truly am the big-hearted, loving boy she raised me to be. So, as far as she cares on the topic, it means she was a success as a parent.

I'm very grateful that I have the ideal type of parents that support my decisions unless they're blatantly stupid. I'm honestly quite surprised at how few parents actually approve of MLP. The job of the parents is to support their child. If that includes a show about pastel ponies, so be it.

• Brohoof 1

My parents don't care about if I watch it or not. I can watch it in the living room and no one bats an eye. My little sis enjoys it as well.  My mom will playfully tease me about it, but she has watched with me before and said it was cute.

Well I live away from my parents so what my parents think doesn't affect me. That being said, my dad doesn't give a rats ass and my mother finds it charming.

• Brohoof 1

None of my family knows not because I gone out of my way to hide it but because I haven't brought it up. With this youtube video I am working on regarding the Derpy situation that might change as I have my youtube profile set up to where whatever videos I download on youtube get automatically linked to my facebook page. But I did make two previous youtube videos which can also tied to that, one of them being a PMV parody of the 2012 presidential election played to the tune of Super Cider Squeezy 6000 and another one talking about how I got into the show and fandom in the first place and if anyone in my family saw them they sure didn't say anything.  But then again with the ridiculous way facebook operates nowadays with them only allowing your friends to see all the posts you make if you "promote" them ie pay them some cash it is possible they could have slipped throught the cracks for that reason.

It should be very interesting to see what my mothers reaction in particular is going to be, I have a feeling that she will probably be shocked, confused and may be a little worried about me at first but will probably eventually get over it. This cousin of mine who was into G1 when she was a kid and is very likely into the show now will probably be the one who will be the most understanding and I have no idea what my brothers reaction would be.  But they are going to probably find out eventually anyway so I will just take the advice I have given others on the matter and not make a big deal out of it.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

All my family know, my mum doesn't get it but she's ok with it. My dad is a brony, my sister hasn't watched it so probably assumes it's still a little girls show and has said she think it's weird for me to watch but I get where she's coming from and it isn't a big deal to me. So yeah that's what my family think.

• Brohoof 1

All my family know, my mum doesn't get it but she's ok with it. My dad is a brony, my sister hasn't watched it so probably assumes it's still a little girls show and has said she think it's weird for me to watch but I get where she's coming from and it isn't a big deal to me. So yeah that's what my family think.

Wait... you're dad is a Brony? For real? You're so lucky. Wish my dad was cool enough to enjoy shows like this, but he's definitely not the type, and makes fun of Bronies all the time. I guess we're just another group of weirdos bringing down the country to him.

• Brohoof 1

My family found out a few weeks ago. They responded negatively off course saying that I'm screwed up in the head for watching the show and being a big fan.

Nowadays they are a little passive about it but they do make a few jokes about me being a brony which makes me a bit uncomfortable.

• Brohoof 1

My family found out a few weeks ago. They responded negatively off course saying that I'm screwed up in the head for watching the show and being a big fan.

Nowadays they are a little passive about it but they do make a few jokes about me being a brony which makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Can I ask you something?

Now that they know, would you say that things are better than they were or worse off? I realize you said that you are now uncomfortable and they crack jokes, but is it better now that they know rather than you having to hide it from them? I mean, unless you were weren't hiding it and they just didn't notice until now.

I'm not sure about how my Dad feels about it,My Mom jokes about it sometimes Then again I make fun of her Favorite show also (Which is one of those weird ghost show with the team of like four People that go "DUDE DID YOU SEE THAT!" ).

Edited by Almar ZeWizard

Wait... you're dad is a Brony? For real? You're so lucky. Wish my dad was cool enough to enjoy shows like this, but he's definitely not the type, and makes fun of Bronies all the time. I guess we're just another group of weirdos bringing down the country to him.

Yep for real my dad really is a brony, sorry to hear your dad isn't so accepting. But I guess not everyone is going to get MLP like with most things, as long as he loves ya and all that stuff then I guess that makes it ok :)

• Brohoof 2

Yep for real my dad really is a brony, sorry to hear your dad isn't so accepting. But I guess not everyone is going to get MLP like with most things, as long as he loves ya and all that stuff then I guess that makes it ok smile.png

Hrm...

I guess you're right. We do get along very well and I know he cares for me, but I just can't help but wonder what he'd think of me if he knew I was a Brony. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not like coming out of the closet or anything, but it's one of those situations where he jokes about Bronies from time to time and I can't help but grin and nod with the knowledge that his jokes apply to me, even if he doesn't realize it.

Can I ask you something? Now that they know, would you say that things are better than they were or worse off? I realize you said that you are now uncomfortable and they crack jokes, but is it better now that they know rather than you having to hide it from them? I mean, unless you were weren't hiding it and they just didn't notice until now.

I suppose it's better now. I mean first I don't have to go through the trouble of hiding out from them anymore. I still distance myself from them whenever I'm doing something pony related but at least they don't really bother me about it.

My mom doesn't care, and my dad likes it. He thinks that the brony community is awesome and listens to some of the brony-made songs now and then. Since he likes the way people step out of their gender roles, the brony fandom is sort of a "dream come true" to him. Some faith in humanity is never wrong. Am I right? 

I suppose it's better now. I mean first I don't have to go through the trouble of hiding out from them anymore. I still distance myself from them whenever I'm doing something pony related but at least they don't really bother me about it.

Well, that's comforting to know. I realize that my family is likely to find out soon, especially since I do have plans to go to Bronycon, but we'll see how it plays out. Thanks for answering me, and I'm glad it's not all bad now that they know.

• Brohoof 1

I just told my younger sister the other day, and as I expected, her initial reaction was one of total disbelief. She kind of reeled over that for a while before saying that I "get so many brownie points" for it...and yet, that "it kinda takes away from you a little bit at the same time." Gee, thanks, sis! Now she'll sometimes start singing the MLP jingle from the toy commercials just to taunt me, but I know it's all in good fun...at least, I certainly hope it is. If it persists, I'm simply going to have to start relentlessly torturing her with endless pony references till she eases off. sleep.png

I'm pretty sure she went and blabbed to my dad about this, because coincidentally he made (what I assume is) a joking Facebook post that night, saying "To my horror, I've realized that someone's been watching My Little Pony on my Netflix account! :o" I simply gave the post a /) before his friends started chiming in saying things like "NOOO! They've gotten to him!"

I know none of them have any real problem with it, but I think I can expect some good teasing for a month or two... mellow.png

• Brohoof 1

Ohh... The day my mum, step-dad, sister and her boyfriend found out (a couple months ago)... Man, I never thought I'd have the **** taken out of me so much - BY MY OWN FAMILY. I didn't say anything, just smiled and corrected their jabs, though it became apparent during dinner that my mum had completely underestimated what bronies were:

"How many of you are there then? Four? Five?"

"Wellll, the last estimate put it between Seven and Twelve million"

She spat her food out and shouted "WHAT!?". Made me laugh xD . Apparently she thought it was just a group of us in the town.

As for their opinion now - eh, I suppose indifferent to light-heartedly positive. Few pokes every now and then but they don't really mention it. My mum did joke about buying me pony toys for my birthday though... I shoulda suggested a t-shirt, or B.U.C.K tickets, I'd like that :P

• Brohoof 1

I've told my mother and she seems indifferent, she watches cartoons herself so is fairly nice about it. I've had some friends who have picked on me about it for a little while but they became very accepting over a short period of time so thats good ^_^

But seriously, we shouldn't hide being Bronies, it isn't anything bad at all, it's not like we're doing drugs and illegal crap like that...

Its just an innocent love of the ponies :3

My mom has asked me about it and I told her. She is a bit perplexed and amused, but over all OK with it. She used to be a doll collector so she has some experience with the old MLP. Had to educate her on G4, though. :P

My dad has yet to even notice. :P

• Brohoof 1

I just told my younger sister the other day, and as I expected, her initial reaction was one of total disbelief. She kind of reeled over that for a while before saying that I "get so many brownie points" for it...and yet, that "it kinda takes away from you a little bit at the same time." Gee, thanks, sis! Now she'll sometimes start singing the MLP jingle from the toy commercials just to taunt me, but I know it's all in good fun...at least, I certainly hope it is. If it persists, I'm simply going to have to start relentlessly torturing her with endless pony references till she eases off. sleep.png

I'm pretty sure she went and blabbed to my dad about this, because coincidentally he made (what I assume is) a joking Facebook post that night, saying "To my horror, I've realized that someone's been watching My Little Pony on my Netflix account! :o" I simply gave the post a /) before his friends started chiming in saying things like "NOOO! They've gotten to him!"

I know none of them have any real problem with it, but I think I can expect some good teasing for a month or two... mellow.png

Wow, that's an awesome and hilarious story.

I mean, I guess the teasing is nothing too hard, but the response you gave to that post and his friends' responses is just priceless.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, that's an awesome and hilarious story.

I mean, I guess the teasing is nothing too hard, but the response you gave to that post and his friends' responses is just priceless.

Yeah...it was pretty funny, I s'pose. I don't think my dad really minds too much given that he'd have said something on our commutes to work if he had some kind of problem with it. Although I can't wait to see his reaction when I that epic T-shirt I showed you comes in...he's a huge Mega Man buff as well, so he may very well think it's the coolest thing ever. XD

Edited by Lowline
  • Brohoof 1