Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do we still Love and Tolerate?

AppleJared

Love and Tolerate  

73 users have voted

1. 1. Do you practive Love and Toleration in your life?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kinda

(edited)

The thing is I don't want to blame my inability to love and tolerate on others, because I'm under the impression that people have gotten tired of it and just want me to be normal. This is mostly to do with school though, not much relation to the MLP fandom.

Okay, I believe I can love and tolerate, but I tend to run into so many situations when I just...can't. You might want to read a another post of mine to see what I'm getting at, here.

Edited by Paspie

(edited)

I never said I don't tolerate trolls or parasprites. In fact, I enjoy running into them so I can call them out on some of their claims and counter-troll them. It's actually quite a lot of fun! Anywho, getting back to the topic on hand. Laziness would be one of those few things I don't tolerate. If somebody isn't doing their fair share, then I'm going to lay into that person. I've had to deal with laziness multiple times when I'm either at work or school. Another thing would be someone trying to push their ideals onto me which has happened before. Religion and politics being the two big ones that i've had to deal with. Personally, I'm agnostic and not getting involved with politics apparently draws some skepticism. I actually had my own family ostracize me for not voting because I didn't like either of the candidates. I could list a whole bunch of other things that I can't tolerate but I don't want to list them all and it would be taking up space and getting off track of the topic. If you're interested, feel free to PM me about it and we can have a bit of discussion.

Well countertrolling is why we often have so many drama threads in the community. I get the idea to call someone out on bs or flagrant trolling when they are within the community. When i see troll comments on my youtube though i put that user on ignore and delete the comment, because its easier then starting a fight. If its someone who has a minor disagreement then i explain my views but i also allow them the chance to explain themselves. Trying to piss someone off with comments to make a point isn't something i agree with tho.

You are absolutely right to not want someone to push religion or politics on you if you don't want to take part. That's someone pushing an agenda and you don't have to put up with that. Toleration isn't about taking crap from people, it's in seeing that there's differing opinions and giving a courtesy listen until you find you're not interested. Love & toleration i find works best when its within our own community and not something we would expect from outside of it.

I've kind of been a pessimist at heart but part of becoming a part of the community has been that i need more positiviity in my life, a better sense of optimism and in trusting those that i feel that share those values (and that of the show). I WANT to echo the positivity that i see in the show, why ignore those simple lessons? I have a friend of mine that came into this community with a chip on his shoulder and seems hellbent on leaving with that same poor attitude. It's a shame as i can't control it, i knew it was there to begin with, but i tried my best to show that with positivity he could feel better about his life and satisfied with his place in this community. I don't think that message stuck and now he's doing his own thing and as far as i can see not wanting to be friends anymore. I'm likely not great either at being social either, seeing the world as a good place, and having a closer relationship with some of those i've talked to previously but i'd like to think i'm still trying to accomplish that. Are we really that different, probably not likely because in the end we're often all flawed but just trying to be better people.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 2

The main thing that drove me to leave my old forum was the behavior of some of the members of it. I was in its Skype chat for awhile, and I quickly grew tired of how I was treated by a couple of the members. Maybe that's petty, but I expect for every brony to treat me with respect, as I will not show rudeness to anyone (in a serious manner) unless provoked. And if I make any jokes which offend someone, I would expect them to ask me to please not do so anymore, at which point I would apologize and stop.

Now, I'm a fairly new brony, having only been in the fandom for a few months. One instance in particular which aggravated me was when I responded to a post commenting on how Lauren Faust no longer worked on the MLP series. I said "Wait, when did she stop working on it?" and I was met with someone posting a picture of the Pokemon, slowpoke. Is that really necessary amongst bronies? Must we really be so crude?

And what's further, I have nothing against cloppers, but I would prefer they not parade themselves around as cloppers. Throwing it in people's faces further degrades popular opinion of us. I am met far too often with people telling me that I masturbate to ponies and am a sick fuck when I tell them that I am a brony. This is not the case, and it is flat out discriminatory. Our image must be improved somehow, and these intolerant ponies are not helping.

This is how I feel.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The main thing that drove me to leave my old forum was the behavior of some of the members of it. I was in its Skype chat for awhile, and I quickly grew tired of how I was treated by a couple of the members. Maybe that's petty, but I expect for every brony to treat me with respect, as I will not show rudeness to anyone (in a serious manner) unless provoked. And if I make any jokes which offend someone, I would expect them to ask me to please not do so anymore, at which point I would apologize and stop.

Now, I'm a fairly new brony, having only been in the fandom for a few months. One instance in particular which aggravated me was when I responded to a post commenting on how Lauren Faust no longer worked on the MLP series. I said "Wait, when did she stop working on it?" and I was met with someone posting a picture of the Pokemon, slowpoke. Is that really necessary amongst bronies? Must we really be so crude?

And what's further, I have nothing against cloppers, but I would prefer they not parade themselves around as cloppers. Throwing it in people's faces further degrades popular opinion of us. I am met far too often with people telling me that I masturbate to ponies and am a sick fuck when I tell them that I am a brony. This is not the case, and it is flat out discriminatory. Our image must be improved somehow, and these intolerant ponies are not helping.

This is how I feel.

You are right to expect that bronies should give basic respect to each other. That info on Lauren is old news but as you said it's new to someone (i only recently wanted to get more info on that myself). Expecting everyone to know everything within the community is a bit ridculous.

I don't think cloppers for the most part "parade" their love of it around but they'll be honest IN a seperate clop thread or in their section of th einternet reserved for that. If you see people pushing clop in inappropriate public places, call them on it. They can't say "hey love & tolerate (while i'm being a jerk)" when they are not being respectful to you. You have every right to say this offends me.

I can't help you if you have non bronies giving you crap because they think you're a clopper by simply being a fan. Clop is a significant subsection of our fanbase but it is still a minority OF the fanbase. A lot of the media have focused on this as well and they have not done our community any favors either. It isn't fair but it's not cloppers fault especially when most try to be considerate. 

Edited by Freewave

(edited)

I wouldn't say that I exactly live up to 'Love and Tolerate', because I will say honestly that I don't love everyone and everything.  However, I do try my best to keep an open mind and give things proper respect, though I doubt that I always do.  Also, things that I don't love, I more or less tolerate (sometimes with great amounts of internal grumbling), so I guess you could say that I live more by a 'shut up and deal with it' philosophy.

Edited by Antismurf9001

In the past, Ive had a bit of trouble with tolerance, but Ive always been pretty openminded. There are definite things that I can't stand, like clopping, trolls. I believe we should LT, but certain things we cant- such as really jacked up stuff I dont want to say that can lead to a real crime( no, not gore/violence) Im good at it, with a few holes I need to fix. People can do what they want on the internet and world, but if I run into it, I'll simply tell them to take it somewhere else if its something I really find inappropriate(no, Im not talking about LGBTs, I support them) in the public/my comfort zone, or without some restriction to prevent children from looking at it- Google Images suck.

However annoyed I get with my sister's girly fashion problems, or my mom's clean-maniac, I feel I can tolerate it despite how different it is from my behavior and personality. Everyone's different, we cant change eachother; I can hope that more bronies show this attribute of LT, to make the phenomeon more precious

Asking if we still "Love and Tolerate" is a very conditional question. I say that I still do because I simply refuse to hate anyone unless they do something amazingly terrible I/e supremacist, murder, arson, etc. However, I've noticed some people don't take love and toleration as serious and that's fine I guess. 

I think both the show and the fandom most definitely affects people in a positive way towards an L&T lifestyle irl, almost unavoidably.

Also, I have found nothing but remarkably friendly behavior on these forums, so I really don't understand what you're referring to. However, I do stay away from even looking at politically charged threads, so maybe that's why. Threads like that usually tend to be a recipe for social disaster, sadly. That being said, there needs to be a place for healthy debate, even of more controversial topics.

I can say for myself though, that even if MLP didn't really teach me about love and tolerate, I certainly feel a lot more positive about both myself and people around me after watching the show, and after hanging out on these forums. img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

The only time I think it is okay to NOT love and tolerate, is when the other person does not have an L&T attitude.

I don't actually practice love and tolerate in my life, only on the forums. I just don't think I'm capable of tolerating stupidity, ignorance, and just plain rude people in the world. Only on the forums, I can do it.

This is how I feel.

If you don't start anything, you certainly don't deserve being alienated. We as bronies need to respect others of our kind unless attacked first.

I agree with your statement about clopping as well. I don't clop. I don't like the idea of it, and frankly it kinda makes me sick. But I won't hate on people for doing it as long as they don't shove it into my face, and I won't look to fight about it. I don't want to have to change my Google search settings just because I want a new MLP background. Sadly, I have to do this already. I used to think clopping was a minority thing and now that I've joined up here, I'm not so sure about that.

Our image can only be improved when we as a group, and as individuals strive to be better than what we already are.

Also: I'm sorry but that Slowpoke joke was hilarious.

The only time I think it is okay to NOT love and tolerate, is when the other person does not have an L&T attitude.

I agreed with most everything you said, lemme give you something to think about.

Food for thought: If everyone else had a tolerant attitude, would you even need to tolerate them? What I mean is, would it even be a task? If there is not argument in the first place, why would you do anything but be happy as well? Therefore, the only time you must STRIVE to L&T is when the opposition is not doing so. Saying what you said basically means that you agree with people who agree with you; which is obvious, else they wouldn't agree with you in the first place.

Regardless, I appreciate your post. Have a great day.

In the past, Ive had a bit of trouble with tolerance, but Ive always been pretty openminded. There are definite things that I can't stand, like clopping, trolls. I believe we should LT, but certain things we cant- such as really jacked up stuff I dont want to say that can lead to a real crime( no, not gore/violence) Im good at it, with a few holes I need to fix. People can do what they want on the internet and world, but if I run into it, I'll simply tell them to take it somewhere else if its something I really find inappropriate(no, Im not talking about LGBTs, I support them) in the public/my comfort zone, or without some restriction to prevent children from looking at it- Google Images suck.

However annoyed I get with my sister's girly fashion problems, or my mom's clean-maniac, I feel I can tolerate it despite how different it is from my behavior and personality. Everyone's different, we cant change eachother; I can hope that more bronies show this attribute of LT, to make the phenomeon more precious

First off, is that Edgar Allan Poe? He is my favorite author, and if that is him, I love you.

Secondly, I too believe there are some things in this world that should be intolerable. I won't make a list on here but I have mine. I mentioned Google Images somewhere on here, and yeah, I know that feel bro.

Lastly, it's easy to become irritated with people you are around all the time. That's normal. If you haven't killed any of your family members by the time you move out, you practice a little L&T right off of the bat. However, I agree that there needs to be more L&T within our own group (Bronies) and then spread that around to non-Bronies when we are more comfortable with it.

I wouldn't say that I exactly live up to 'Love and Tolerate', because I will say honestly that I don't love everyone and everything.  However, I do try my best to keep an open mind and give things proper respect, though I doubt that I always do.  Also, things that I don't love, I more or less tolerate (sometimes with great amounts of internal grumbling), so I guess you could say that I live more by a 'shut up and deal with it' philosophy.

Then I would say you L&T very well. It's impossible to tolerate everything, and even more impossible to love everything. It sounds like you make a conscious effort and that's what really counts. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is to "shut up and deal with it", if the situation at hand has deteriorated to that point.

Well, about the religion side. People will always bash each other over religion. History has shown that religious pride, not religion, have been a part of some wars(not all though). The source of religious pride is arrogance. Arrogance is the main source of all wars, whether one or both sides are arrogant of their own ways. I am Catholic, but I don't say anything against others unless they start insulting my religious beliefs.

Also, here is a quote from an anonymous person:

"If you are so confident with your own religious or non-religious beliefs, why do you need to convince someone else of those beliefs in order to convince yourself?"

The thing is I live near so many #420yoloswagfags so I'm always hateful towards humanity. 

But I can somewhat love and tolerate 

Trust me bro, I know that feel. That describes my graduating class to the letter. I still can't stand them, but I try to anyways.

PS: My friends and I now have a run-on joke where we say "YOLO420swag" all the time. Thank you.

(edited)

Actually ever since I became a brony, I made it a big part of my life. Since it changed me so much, so love and tolerate became my motto. It was a rule I followed and honestly I'm glad I did, all this hatrid it corrupts you. You don't see it untill it has dried you up and it leaves nothing left but the emptieness and you feel miserable. I can tell you this from my own experience, hatrid is an energy source, it's strong and can keep you going for a long time, but once it's dried up.. You start feeling the damage it has done to you and others. Although there is an energy source that's so strong that not only did it repower me and change my life, but it's an energy source you won't get dried up on. Ponies and the fandoms motto, love and tolerate.. Changed my life to the better, I follow this motto everyday in every situation. People might find it silly, but it helped me and that's all that matters to me. Even though non of you would follow it, I would still follow it.

Note, that I'm not saying you have to follow it, to be in the fandom, honestly I don't think it matters. But do it for yourself, it is good for you.

If you don't follow it you should, since it does have good effects on you. I know that many probably just use "love and tolerate" as a joke, but to me.. It's not a joke, if more people would follow it. The world would be a better place. I even stopped using the word "hate", I just use the word "dislike" instead, he he because of the episode "hearth's warming eve".

Although, I'm not talking about tolerating everything, for some reason I follow it by simply not judging or hating on people without getting to know them.

Love and tolerate

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

As ridiculous as it sounds, it's un-natural or out-of-their-character(whichever you think works best) for some people to live by the Love and Tolerate lifestyle. Some people are naturally aggressive and tend to mercilessly make verbal attacks on people whenever they want to or whenever they feel is necessary. Some people also grew up with a "Do something about it" attitude. Or worst of all, some people are born with an enormous amount of pride(me) which can go either way. I've never been confronted in person by a hater. But I will be honest, if a brony hater pushes me to that limit, I will cause things to get physical(most likely will never happen).

I'm not the type of person that uses the old "Love and Tolerate" technique, it just seems more like a "Yeah, okay, whatever" and is not doing anything effective (Unless it's just a troll, then you're basically just ignoring them).

I usually try to reason with the person, always from a third person view listening to what they have to say, then see what I can do about it to make them shut up about the situation. If they're being ignorant; I just leave them be. There's no use trying to talk to a person who won't listen to reason.

I have Love and Tolerance to a point. But we are just human after all. I have my threshold of how much I wish to give back, but I do like everyone else try to make the world a bit better for some people. I'm just an introvert with keeping to myself and stay in the background. I think I'm alot like other people, we follow the motto until pushed to the point where we ether reply but keeping a logical head or walk away and not deal with the stressful situation.

• Brohoof 1

I have come to accept to love and tolerate because I love my mom I could not have asked for a better one, but the sister she gave me is a b!@#$. Shes one of those preppy teen girls who hates anyone who opposes them. It is her way or the highway. I don' t ever hate anypony but some people I just don't want to be friends with. This doesn't mean I'm a jerk to them I just  don't really hang out, or talk to them much.

I do have love and talarate in my life when Im nice or talarate 

someone goodthings come my way and people are nice to me you are saying about religions
way do people just sart to make fun of them cause of a relgin 
or if someone is not a brony and you are they intaly thing your gay
otherwise I love and talarate people no matter who they are

I agreed with most everything you said, lemme give you something to think about.

Food for thought: If everyone else had a tolerant attitude, would you even need to tolerate them? What I mean is, would it even be a task? If there is not argument in the first place, why would you do anything but be happy as well? Therefore, the only time you must STRIVE to L&T is when the opposition is not doing so. Saying what you said basically means that you agree with people who agree with you; which is obvious, else they wouldn't agree with you in the first place.

Regardless, I appreciate your post. Have a great day.

Well, agreeing or disagreeing should not have an impact on love & tolerate. One should be able to disagree and still be as respectful and friendly as one is towards a person with similar opinions to one's own. That is the tricky part, but frankly the only acceptable attitude. There is seldom any real reason for arguments to get unfriendly, and I think the MLP fandom sets a pretty high bar.

But do I have to love and tolerate people who do not love or tolerate me to live up to L&T standards? Is L&T a 120% pacifist attitude?

I honestly think that love and tolerate isn't a realistic goal, no one is perfect since we're all human, so no matter how hard you try your not going to be able to love and tolerate everything.

Do I try to practice love and tolerance? Yes because it's a good thing to live by for the most part, but It doesn't mean I never stop doing it. There are cases where I justify and the time and possibly overall to not love and tolerate.

I generally consider myself to be kinda passive on stating my opinions and don't really like to argue with others, but even in that department I'm not 100% perfect.

I think that it's undenieable that the people here are nicer generally, I think something about the show makes people kinder and more accepting of each other, but it doesn't make us into perfect people. We still fight, but does it mean we don't still love each other? No, not even a family doesn't fight ever, so we're obviously no exception.

So basically while I do think for the most part striving to love and tolerate is good, there are cases where you can't, or maybe even shouldn't, the fact were imperfect is why this is never going to always be. I do however think bronies are among the nicest people on the Internet, and the majority of bronies I meet as much nicer and kinder then other people I meet.

Sure there's bad apples here and there, but you can't have a perfect batch. I do think we've got a pretty delicious and wonderful one though.

I don't get why some people are disappointed or surprised to see some bronies acting like dicks.We're all still human.Just because we watch a show for children doesn't mean we immediately become enlightened or anything and dedicate ourselves completely to the mantra of love and tolerance.We choose how to live our lives,and everybody has different philosophies and different ideologies about life.If you choose to love and tolerate,great,awesome.If not,that's fine too.Your life,your choices.

(edited)
First off, is that Edgar Allan Poe? He is my favorite author, and if that is him, I love you.   Secondly, I too believe there are some things in this world that should be intolerable. I won't make a list on here but I have mine. I mentioned Google Images somewhere on here, and yeah, I know that feel bro.   Lastly, it's easy to become irritated with people you are around all the time. That's normal. If you haven't killed any of your family members by the time you move out, you practice a little L&T right off of the bat. However, I agree that there needs to be more L&T within our own group (Bronies) and then spread that around to non-Bronies when we are more comfortable with it.

Yup, it is Edgar Allan Poe- it's a close up of a linoleom carving I made myself. He's my favorite, too :D. I think pure hate itself should be intolerable, among my list of things. It'd be great if this really did get to the non-bronies- not in a way of spreading the fandom, but just spreading the message. Of course, it wouldn't be good if people shoved it down other's throats like some bronies could shove mlp/LT, but it'd be nice for it to be "known" :) It might shed some light on hobbies people normally consider taboo - like fursuiting for instance.

Edited by Mikahlee