Do you fear that a lot of people will leave the fandom after EqG?

Hdc

Will the herd diminish due to EqG?  

147 users have voted

1. 1. Do you fear that a lot of people will leave the fandom because of Equestria Girls?

• Yes
    • No

I may check out EQG later out of sheer curiosity, but other than that, I have no desire to follow it.

My best prescription for those vehemently against it is to simply not watch it.

(edited)

Honestly, I think there is more danger of people leaving the fandom because they're tired of the constant fandom histrionics. Derpygate, Cadance, Twilicorn, and now Equestria Girls. And with each one the immature rage gets worse.

I've always said you guys are going through stuff faster than any fandom I've been in before. The problem is you're going through the bad parts just as fast as the good parts. And they're pilling up and tainting what little good reputation you've managed to build.

@@John, you're concerned about people judging you by Equestria Girls? I'm concerned about people judging me based on visible Brony behaviour. [bye-the-bye, this post isn't really aimed at you. Your post is just a convenient jumping-off-point due to that statement you made.]

Throwing temper tantrums in public and basically acting younger than the demographic MLP was originally for is starting to be the order of the day. I mean *death threats* against DHX staffers? Really? And since they've been getting stuff like that since Derpygate, I can understand if they've gotten tired of it and simply don't want to deal with our shit anymore.

Before outsiders would look at Bronies and see grown men liking stuff for little girls. Now they'll be looking at Bronies and see grown men acting like toddlers who can't be trusted with pony toys because they'll just stick the plastic in their mouths and chew the toy heads off.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 6

I don't care

For that matter if half of the bronies do leave then fine

Who am I to stop someone form leaving the fandom? Is there a code that says you must stay or that you have to pass a trial to leave?

Whenever something like this happens I'm always the wierd one because I am always okay with things.

I have seen horrible forms of media and this is what we are worried about?!?

It's silly that's how I discribed it, silly.

People want to leave?

Fine go

Stop complaining and stop making a big deal about it, just go.

If I ever leave I will leave and leave the rest of you alone in peace.

• Brohoof 1

If they haven't left having heard of its existence why would its release change that? Why would they do so regardless  Its confirmed that its a side series that wont affect the main series. If its bad just ignore it. I cant understand the insane and unreasonable response some have to this or anything else for that matter. Tell me something did we have a 50% reduction in the fanbase? I doubt it unless we then had a 50% increase. If someone really stops watching the main show because they dislike a spin off that is separate from that show then....my god I dont even know what to say to that kind a reasoning. 

Hey I've got an idea... how about we wait until after we have watched it. You see that way we can actually ascertain whether or not its quality is up to par. Or we can just assume its going to be bad and behave irrationally. It seems some are constantly repeating the latter option. First it was "Oh noes Alicorn Twilight" now its "Oh noes Equestria Girls". You know what happens when you assume something is going to be bad and you constanly reinforce that idea? Its called negative confirmation bias and its already happening. Based on a trailer people are making assumptions of the plot and taking them as facts.

• Brohoof 3

...Pardon me if I sound like an arse,but why should it even matter if they leave in the first place?If they don't like Equestria Girls or Twilicorn or Season 4 or...hell,any part of the fandom they find unfavourable and decide to leave the fandom because of it,then that's their choice.Doesn't affect anybody but them.Their life,their choice.

People are always threatening to leave the fandom over one thing or another.  Some will leave and return later when they've calmed down, and some may not return, but the real fans will stick with MLP and won't abandon it because of a spin off.   I'm not sure if I'll watch EqG, but people should learn to give things a chance.  There isn't anything that proves EqG will be bad, besides it not being what some fans want.  

Those fans should remember they took a chance when they watched MLP, and that some of them could have been haters too before joining the herd smile.png .  I wouldn't be surprised if some haters ended up liking, or mildly enjoying EqG.  

The truth is no this is just my equivalent of twilight in lesson zero but,

My deepest darkest fear (like if you opened king sombras door it would probably be this with me in my undies and that girl in class I liked laughing at me) is that this will be so good (no matter how unlikely) that every pony will leave this fandom because there's a better show with the same stuff.

Honest

(edited)

No, I don't think a lot of people will leave the fandom over this. For one thing, I'm not going to let Equestria Girls ruin my love of the series because I realize that Hasbro is a business, and they're trying to reach out to a different audience and broaden the appeal of the franchise. EQG is not the kind of thing I normally get into, but I'm going to stay open-minded because I know the same awesome team that delivered Pony is behind this project. And if I don't like it, then I won't watch it again, I'll steer clear of the merchandise, and just keep watching Pony instead. I think a lot of other fans have a similar mindset.

And if the whole thing fails and bronies everywhere leave the fandom, then maybe it could end up being a lesson learned for Hasbro, and EQG won't go very far. However, I don't think it will come to this, and it shouldn't. As long as this is a separate thing from MLP, then why would anyone let this ruin their enjoyment? I don't want Equestria Girls to be a massive success to the point where it takes priority over ponies though.

Edited by Sugar Cube

I'm just saying that its a reasonable assumption.  As I've mentioned before, I'm more concerned with brony reputation after its release.  It doesn't matter that we know its not related.  The problem is that other ignorant people outside of our scope of influence are going to think its related.

And I don't want any of that "you shouldn't care what other people think" BS.  I live a pretty damn normal life but Ill care if people think I'm weird.  Its human nature.  (PS.  I ain't mad even though the context of what I just said may lead some to believe so smile.png)

People already think bronies are weird.  How is this different? 

And it's not like it's going to get some huge, blockbuster summer release.  It's going to be in a few hundred theaters for a few days each.  I doubt there'll be even much of a TV ad campaign.  he impact will not be that big.  How many non-bronies will even realize it's out?

First of all, DHX media is behind Equestria Girls, the same amazing people who brought us friendship is magic, Hasbro used the same writing staff as the show, including the series' current lead writer Meghan McCarthy, same person who made great episodes such as "Party of one". But many people are saying Equestria Girls is going to be really bad and going to ruin the fandom and making the ponies into humans is the worst thing possible. what do you guys think will it be really astonishing or bad? i personally think its really cool, but thats just my opinion

• Brohoof 2

Pfft. I hardly believe having another MLP-related show on the air, that doesn't affect the main show in any way, is going to wipe out the fandom. Even if Equestria Girls was planned to (God forbid) REPLACE FiM, the fandom would still survive on the nostalgia of older episodes.

There are always going to be nutcakes saying that so and so is going to ruin the fandom. Nothing's going to ruin any fandom anytime soon.

• Brohoof 2

So I showed my fiance the trailer today, thinking that he wouldn't like it.

We finished watching, and I ask, "What do you think?"

He's like, "Well, I dunno... are the same people who do the show doing this?"

"Yup, it's the same animation company, same voice actors..."

"Same writers?"

"Yup."

"Oh, well, then it'll probably be fine."

He's always more open-minded than I think he is... which is one reason why I love him. <3

But what does that have to do with EqG not destroying the fandom?

I like to believe that my fiance is not one of very few people who are actually at least somewhat open-minded about the show. Seriously, a month after EqG is released, everyone will either continue to like it, or they will forget about it. Nothing can feed their hate anymore. It'll get boring. Then off to season 4 we go~

• Brohoof 5

Nah... I don't think Equestria Girls is going to destroy the fandom. If it bombs, the fandom will think its shit, make fun of it and move on.wink.png

• Brohoof 1

The only way the fandom can die is if a gigantic celestial body hits the Earth and everyone dies.

If the show ends, gets so horrible no one wants it anymore, or any other thing, the fandom will sustain itself.

So, I'm pretty sure that EqG will not hurt the fandom that much.

(edited)

The Highlander fandom survived The Quickening, The Source, The Raven(Which was a full blown TV Show that lasted for an entire season), and having the Video Game(which was the one big shot at reviving the franchise and bringing it to a whole generation of fans) canceled, I think we'll be fine with one bad movie if it winds up bad(and that's a big if) .

If anything, the really whiny people will shove off and we'll get some peace and quiet again.  

Of course it will. In the same exact way that 'A Canterlot Wedding', Hasbro stopping Fighting is Magic, Youtube takedowns and Twilicorn ended the fandom.

I still find that first one hilarious because it turned out to be the best episode of the entire freakin' show and blew everyone away with how awesome it was.  

Edited by Shoboni

(edited)

This is a movie, not a spin-off TV show like 'Torchwood' to 'Doctor Who'. I think that is has very full potential, and think that if the same team is on it, it will be amazing.

Edited by Doctor-Whooves
  • Brohoof 3

If the show actually effected show cannon, then I could see it probably making some people upset enough to leave the fandom. But on it's own, I don't think it'll do sufficient enough damage to make even a dent in the show's fan base.

I have to say, that with emotions running so high right now (higher than they ever were for Twilicorn, or Derpygate, or whatever, IMO) I have to admit that I thought this would, maybe not kill the fandom, but perhaps split it apart. 

I gotta say that reading some of these responses is really quite heartening.

First of all, DHX media is behind Equestria Girls, the same amazing people who brought us friendship is magic, Hasbro used the same writing staff as the show, including the series' current lead writer Meghan McCarthy, same person who made great episodes such as "Party of one". But many people are saying Equestria Girls is going to be really bad and going to ruin the fandom and making the ponies into humans is the worst thing possible. what do you guys think will it be really astonishing or bad? i personally think its really cool, but thats just my opinion

I have merged your thread with an already existing one that is busy discussing the issue of "fandom leavers" in the wake of Equestria Girls. It's usually a good idea to use the search function to check for suitable threads before creating a new one.

• Brohoof 1