Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you fear that a lot of people will leave the fandom after EqG?

Hdc

Will the herd diminish due to EqG?  

147 users have voted

1. 1. Do you fear that a lot of people will leave the fandom because of Equestria Girls?

• Yes
    • No

I think the fandom from this show is great, but I honestly don't worry about whether or not it's large.

In the context of a children's cartoon on a small network that backs a toy line (seriously, think about that), the show takes some interesting risks, and I'm totally okay if this continues and the result is hit or miss. I would still consider it a big success. I'd much rather they do that than just keep the audience comfortable, and everything familiar. So, if we get an awesome backstory about Luna and Celestia, but Twilight also gets a boyfriend (deep breath, count to 10), then so be it.

I will say this, though: after having listened to a few of the ladies who write for the series at Equestria L.A. this past weekend, I came away with two gut feelings: 1. They're f****g awesome, and I'd love to have a beer with all of them, and 2. Though specifics were almost totally absent, I think they're going to make the current fandom pretty darn happy next season.

• Brohoof 2

Think about it..

If you never disagreed with me on what was said above, but you also don't agree with my stance on the whole Twilicorn + EG thing, then why would you care about who listens to my opinion?

Ever here the phrase: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"? It means just because I disagree, doesn't mean I want hinder your ability to voice it. 

• Brohoof 1

Ever here the phrase: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"? It means just because I disagree, doesn't mean I want hinder your ability to voice it. 

But that's about my right to say it.  I never said you wanted to hinder it, but normally you shouldn't care.

Basically, you dissagreed with what I had to say

thought I was being too dramatic

and then argued that being dramatic dampens the point I'm trying to make (Which you should be ok with)

and THEN you said you're defending my right to voice my opinion (which you didn't.  You instead told me to voice it more effectively.)

If you disagree with what I had to say, why go through all of that to help me voice my opinion more effectively, when you disagree with it?  

Its like south Korean physicists and engineers helping the North learn how to make missiles work better.

Frankly, for those that actually do leave because of this, as well as those who did with Alicorn Twilight?

I say good riddance, really.

• Brohoof 1

But that's about my right to say it.  I never said you wanted to hinder it, but normally you shouldn't care.

Basically, you dissagreed with what I had to say

thought I was being too dramatic

and then argued that being dramatic dampens the point I'm trying to make (Which you should be ok with)

and THEN you said you're defending my right to voice my opinion (which you didn't.  You instead told me to voice it more effectively.)

If you disagree with what I had to say, why go through all of that to help me voice my opinion more effectively, when you disagree with it?  

Its like south Korean physicists and engineers helping the North learn how to make missiles work better.

I dunno "Honor Before Reason"? I like being fair to people that have been fair to me, which is what you've done here. We disagree'd and you maturely debated with me about it. I think in a case where the argument is entirely subjective the playing field should be even and it should come down what benefits the most people in the end. 

• Brohoof 2

I'm actually more tempted to leave the fandom since this seems to come up with every freakin' episode and news update about the show....  wink.png

Seriously though:  I think, just like Princess Twilight and everything else before it, people will eventually get over it, move on, and either potentially enjoy or accept it.

And no, if people decide to "leave the fandom" because of this, I do not care.  I still love the show, might enjoy Equestria Girls (gotta at least give it a chance), and am looking forward to an awesome 26 episode season 4.  And that's all that matters to me.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah but you can't just let people take advantage of you.  If I don't like something and I believe that the show would be better off without it, I'm going to voice my opinion in hope of being a part of that "collective opinion," which may have the power to make a difference.

One good example of this is after the British company "JAGEX LTD."  changed their MMORPG "Runescape" in a way which was unsatisfactory to a subgroup of their players.  The players became so upset that the game has changed so much, they began to voice their opinion on it and eventually the news reached Jagex HQ.  Jagex appealed to this subgroup of consumers by re-releasing an older "2007" version of the game that this subgroup of players enjoyed.  Putting these servers up took money, time and effort but Jagex felt obliged to appeal to their loyal old-school players.

Not saying that Hasbro is as generous as this company.  It has entirely different people at the head; but in my opinion, voicing my thoughts is worth a shot.  smile.png

As a Runescape fan I can tell you it only went down-hill after Andrew Gower sold out big time to the American Company IVP. They may say everything is the same, but the fan base wasn't having any of it. With the squeal of fortune and Soloman's store. One thing Jagex did which everyone hated, RWT. 

Yes they did make the 2007 servers for people to use. BUT. They only did this after holding a poll which limits to what they brought out. For example if they got to the 750k votes, you could access the servers FOR FREE. But we didn't get to that, we got to just over 500k so we have to have a membership to use it. 

Yes they obliged, kinda. But if the votes didn't come in, especially seeing as only members could vote. Then we wouldn't have the servers at all. 

When you say "subgroup", I believe it was more like 70% of the player base. The amount of people who have left the game over the years are in the thousands. So much has changed since the old days, that it is TOO different. This is completely different to EQG however, seeing as it doesn't affect the seasons one bit. And if they mention it once in season four, seriously...how is it going to affect the storyline? I'd love to see Sunset Shimmer in Season 4, but apparently she won't be in it. 

Leave the fandom over EG? This is like leaving the fandom because Hasbro made an Applejack pickup truck. I don't see any good coming of EG, but it doesn't mean everything is ruined forever. Being a fan of something doesn't obligate one to love every single thing about it. People can be so melodramatic sometimes.

No, no, and no. People don't just leave. They whine, and threaten to leave, but that's because they're trying to start an uproar and get hasbro to notice their opinions. It's also because some people just like to complain a bit too much ._.

• Brohoof 1

No, no, and no. People don't just leave. They whine, and threaten to leave, but that's because they're trying to start an uproar and get hasbro to notice their opinions. It's also because some people just like to complain a bit too much ._.

No I disagree.  Its kind of like a "this is the last straw" sort of thing.  If Hasbro continues to screw us over and over again, some of us (not all) are going to be like "F!#% it!" and leave instantly.  Its not like these people will be losing interest in the show, but they'll certainly not talk about it/express their opinions as much.  (Or interact with the community, the fundamental quality that makes them part of the fandom.)

I have absolute hope that that will not happen...

Sure, it looked intense, but then again, we've been through worse...

The twilicorn controversy, the season 3 paranoia, the 4chan day's, lauren faust leaving the show...

If we made it through all that, I'm pretty sure a spin off won't stop most people...

No I disagree.  Its kind of like a "this is the last straw" sort of thing.  If Hasbro continues to screw us over and over again, some of us (not all) are going to be like "F!#% it!" and leave instantly.  Its not like these people will be losing interest in the show, but they'll certainly not talk about it/express their opinions as much.  (Or interact with the community, the fundamental quality that makes them part of the fandom.)

It's not even technically MLP. It's a spinoff. It's like NCIS, and NCIS LA. NCIS LA sucked, but it didn't affect NCIS in any way, shape, or form.

• Brohoof 1

Nobody is forcing bronies to watch EqG if they don't want it. Also this fandom Is based on MLP:FIM and not EqG I think so I really see no reason for people leaving. I for one don't care about EqG Im here for the PONIES others should be here for the ponies as well.

• Brohoof 1

honestly, It might be for the best. I think of Equestria Girls like a form of natural selection, eliminating the lukewarm fans and leaving the more hardcore and dedicated bronies to remain.

• Brohoof 2

To yet again pull in stuff from another fandom: Doctor Who.

Many moons ago there was a Doctor Who spinoff called 'K-9 and Company', based on two of the most popular (at the time) companions of the Doctor and their adventures after they left the Doctor.

It really sucked. It didn't get beyond the pilot episode. It was even considered canon as it was referenced in the main series, and in the later successful spin-off of 'Sarah Jane Adventures'.

However, the Whoovian fandom didn't collapse and die because of this one awful spin-off.

• Brohoof 1

It's not even technically MLP. It's a spinoff. It's like NCIS, and NCIS LA. NCIS LA sucked, but it didn't affect NCIS in any way, shape, or form.

Never watched it, but did NCIS LA have all of the main characters from NCIS?...

It doesn't matter that its a spinoff.  Its going to be detrimental if it becomes canon.

(edited)

It doesn't matter that its a spinoff. Its going to be detrimental if it becomes canon.

Hasn't it already been stated, multiple times, that EQG is not canon? You almost seem to want this movie to suck, and want to see the fandom collapse, because you are ignoring the information we have in order to stick to your theory that this one movie will destroy the brony fandom, or at least severely damage it. Edited by thebobmaster
  • Brohoof 1

Hasn't it already been stated, multiple times, that EQG is not canon? You almost seem to want this movie to suck, and want to see the fandom collapse, because you are ignoring the information we have in order to stick to your theory that this one movie will destroy the brony fandom, or at least severely damage it.

John, I believe, is just worried about a worst-case-scenario situation.  And while I understand his points & concern, I think it's way to early in what we know to be leaning straight to worst-case, or straight to best-case for that matter, IMO.

John, I believe, is just worried about a worst-case-scenario situation.  And while I understand his points & concern, I think it's way to early in what we know to be leaning straight to worst-case, or straight to best-case for that matter, IMO.

I agree. I just read his post as saying that EQG would have a negative effect on FiM as if it were a fact, when it is far from such.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't matter that its a spinoff.  Its going to be detrimental if it becomes canon.

It's not canon, they've already announced that. Oh, and by the way, I love that profile picture! It's so adorable :3 Where did you find that?

• Brohoof 1

I agree. I just read his post as saying that EQG would have a negative effect on FiM as if it were a fact, when it is far from such.

I'm just saying that its a reasonable assumption.  As I've mentioned before, I'm more concerned with brony reputation after its release.  It doesn't matter that we know its not related.  The problem is that other ignorant people outside of our scope of influence are going to think its related.

And I don't want any of that "you shouldn't care what other people think" BS.  I live a pretty damn normal life but Ill care if people think I'm weird.  Its human nature.  (PS.  I ain't mad even though the context of what I just said may lead some to believe so :))

I'm just saying that its a reasonable assumption.  As I've mentioned before, I'm more concerned with brony reputation after its release.  It doesn't matter that we know its not related.  The problem is that other ignorant people outside of our scope of influence are going to think its related.

And I don't want any of that "you shouldn't care what other people think" BS.  I live a pretty damn normal life but Ill care if people think I'm weird.  Its human nature.  (PS.  I ain't mad even though the context of what I just said may lead some to believe so :))

Fair point. But to make my own point, there are already uninformed people consider FiM to be nothing more than a kid's show, despite all evidence to the contrary. I don't see how this will be any different. I'm not saying "don't care what people think". But if people you know are going to judge you based off a spin-off that you don't watch to a show you do, they were already judging you silently.

(edited)

Fair point. But to make my own point, there are already uninformed people consider FiM to be nothing more than a kid's show, despite all evidence to the contrary. I don't see how this will be any different. I'm not saying "don't care what people think". But if people you know are going to judge you based off a spin-off that you don't watch to a show you do, they were already judging you silently.

No, trust me.  FIM was fine because you had to go out of your way to watch it, so its still kind of a mystery to outsiders.  Because of this, when you justified why you watched it to others, you were able to properly explain why, without having them make false assumptions based off of what they've seen  (because they havn't seen anything!)  When EQG is released and there's trailers and such playing, outsiders are going to judge it based off of how stupid it looks to them.  I see EQG almost as a mass "this is why bronys are weird" message to the commoner.

Damn you Stormcloaks..  Skyrim was fine until you came along...

Edited by John
  • Brohoof 1