Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Favorite Required Novel?

Adente

(edited)

We all had to read 'em. (Or we Sparknoted them, or read the Cliffnotes version, or just didn't read 'em at all) The 'classics'. Some were good, some were bad. Some were just plain forgettable. And then there were those ones. The ones that weren't good, they were great. So, the question is simple: Bronies, what were your favorite novels/books you were required to read at some point during your education?

My personal favorites are a tie between The Great Gatsby and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Two compelling, entertaining reads that I just plain loved. Not to mention I loved the antagonist in Cuckoo's Nest. That Nurse still gives me the creeps... Might be why I hate hospitals. But anyways, so what are you guy's favorite required readings?

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

When I was in High School I honestly never liked to read at all but there was two novels I loved. Those were The Old Man & the Sea by Earnest Hemingway and 1984 by George Orwell. I really enjoyed reading these books and I was surprised but after High School I started to develop a interest for reading smile.png. I only wished I read more when I was young as opposed to now.

Edit oh yeah & To Kill a Mockingbird.

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne
  • Brohoof 2

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was pretty interesting. Have you seen the movie as well? I saw the movie first actually, but ended up reading the book for class senior year. Both were pretty good.

I'm gonna vouch for Brave New World here. Definitely one of the best books taught in English classes. I actually read it on my own time, but I recall hearing about people reading it in their English class. I was pretty curious, and wow it really surprised me. It's a pretty emotional book, and very useful too for essay prompts.

Well in College Comp 1, advanced High School Class I had to take my senior year, we actually got to choose from a plethora of classics. Yeah freedom. I read The Road by Cormack McCarthy, actually pretty new for a classic. I suggest that you all read it. I read it a few times before that project as well. A book that gets very very real.

Also other more set books that I had to read that I thoroughly enjoyed were To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, and Metamorphosis.

All good books and I would recommend them to anyone. 

• Brohoof 1

Mine has to be Fallen Fallen Angels by Walter dean Myers. My favorite classical has to be of mice and men, mostly cause it was a short read and the tests over it were easy.

(edited)

To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely a favorite of mine. I also enjoyed The Odyssey and any Shakespeare works we read - there's just something pretty cool about reading things written very long ago ^-^

Edited by Spring Storm
  • Brohoof 1

To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely a favorite of mine. I also enjoyed The Odyssey and any Shakespeare works we read - there's just something pretty cool about reading things written very long ago ^-^

Oh yeah, almost had forgotten about The Odyssey! I loved reading that book! And, of course being sophomore guys in High School, me and all my friends absolutely ate up the fighting sequences, especially the Battle in the Hall at the end. Good times...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I throughy enjoied "To Kill a Mockingbird" and i was suprised to enjoy "A Rasin in the Sun" but my Summer School Teacher gave me the best reading assignment, she knew i liked Stephen King and assigned me "The Long Walk" done under the name Richard Bachman, that was the best

Edited by DaReaper
  • Brohoof 2

The only english novel I remember we read here in English-class was 'Tears of a Tiger'. Just short stories and some Poems apart from this.

But many things in German. Less novels, more plays.

Favorite plays: 'The Visit' and 'The Physicists' both by Friedrich Dürrenmatt. They are very funny and very tragic at the same time. 

Favorite Novel: Forget it. All boring in my eyes. There was not one novel during my whole school-time I had to read that actually interested me.

For school, I read S.E. Hinton's epic coming-of-age novel "The Outsiders." I loved it back then, and it still holds up quite well if you ask me. Definitely one I'd recommend reading.

• Brohoof 1

I liked almost all of them, lol, i thought that all the dystopian novels we read like 1984, The Giver, and Cats Cradle (favorite book) unfortunately books like The Maestro just, put me off reading for a bit i guess, lol

(edited)

I enjoyed pretty much all of them, even all of the Shakespeare stuff we did. I suppose I'll make a small list of "favourites" down below.

- The Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare)

- Hamlet (Shakespeare)

- Animal Farm (George Orwell)

- 1984 (George Orwell) (although I read this one myself 4 years before we were forced to read it)

- Oedipus the King (Sophocles)

One book had to be the black sheep of the bunch though. There is one book that I despised every moment of in high school and that book is the great gatsby. Some of you may like it and it's fine to hold that opinion, but this story was the only book throughout my entire educational upbringing from kindergarten that I hated all the way through. That's quite an accomplishment!

Edited by Celtore

The stories that I loved reading in School were Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet..... 

Honestly though I enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 and To Kill a Mockingbird in High School and in Middle school I really loved The Giver and The Outsiders (stay gold Ponyboy). Those books had very good stories that I enjoyed following and definitely had some deep meanings.

"Where the Red Fern Grows", Maybe it was because we spent an ungodly amount of time going through the thing that it became my favorite, I don't know. All in all, we probably spent a month or so in the damn book and film adaptation, the only downside to that is that we never got to read Watchmen.

It's a tie between Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Actually, To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite. I just love the story, and how the book flows. At first I thought the style of writing was hard to understand, but once I got used to it, it was easy to read. I'm actually really glad I had to read it. Otherwise, I might have never read it on my own.

To Kill a Mockingbird, and 1984 are my two favorites. There was one more that dealt with the Vietnam war -- the protagonist was a foot soldier in the war-- but I can't remember the name of the book.

To Kill a Mockingbird, and 1984 are my two favorites. There was one more that dealt with the Vietnam war -- the protagonist was a foot soldier in the war-- but I can't remember the name of the book.

The Things They Carried? It wasn't a required reading for me, but I still read it nonetheless. Great book in my opinion as well.

• Brohoof 1

The Things They Carried? It wasn't a required reading for me, but I still read it nonetheless. Great book in my opinion as well.

Oh, yes! That was it. I had to read it in high school. Read the book in my sophomore or junior year, I think. The teacher even had her husband come in for a class to talk about the Vietnam war since he was veteran of the war. 

Anyway, yes, The Things They Carried is one of my favorites.

I think everything we read in school we so over-analysed that I came to hate them. I can't think of A Passage To India, or White Fang without cringing! 

• 1 month later...
(edited)

To Kill a Mockingbird was the best required reading for me. The Great Gatsby was also good, but not outstanding. People think I'm strange because I liked Animal Farm but not 1984, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Reading The Giver in elementary school was definitely worth it. Flowers for Algernon was another great novel in eighth grade.

Edited by Foreigner and Lover

I really enjoyed Macbeth as well as To Kill a Mockingbird. Those would be my favorite required readings. Other required books that I've enjoyed are Of Mice and Men and... actually that's it :P

(edited)

I once had to read The Princess Bride in high school, so my vote would be for that. Other than that, it would be To Kill a Mockingbird, followed by Othello, followed by The Great Gatsby.

My all-time least favorite would have to be The Scarlet Letter. Dear God, I don't think I've ever been more bored while holding something with words on it in my entire life.

Edited by Jadeofblades