Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Favorite Required Novel?

Adente

I'm a sucker for a good war story, so All Quiet On The Western Front was my favorite. It was also interesting to see it from the perspective of the Germans.

I have a love/hate thing for the Great Gatsby

And I loved Catcher in the Rye, but mostly because it helped inspire one of my favorite games, Bully

For school, I read S.E. Hinton's epic coming-of-age novel "The Outsiders." I loved it back then, and it still holds up quite well if you ask me. Definitely one I'd recommend reading.

Quite agreed, That is also my favorite of those. I also like reading the play Romeo and Juliet and the Odyssey (yes, they both are required [here at least])

• Brohoof 1

Favorite school novels, eh? I'd have to say that my favorite ends up in a three-way tie between Beowulf, Their Eyes Were Watching God, and The Giver. By far, I LOVED the newer Beowulf movie adaptation, which we got to watch after we finished the book itself. Call me an Alan Silvestri fanboy, but that's a bit off-topic.

More on topic, Their Eyes Were Watching God was...entertaining. And depressing. And a mix of emotions.

The Giver was epic. I vaguely remember writing an alternate ending to it at one point, because the ending wasn't exactly CLEAR. It sucked, don't ask me to show you it. I won't. >_>

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite books that I have been required to read during my education so far are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, A Separate Peace by John Knowles, and Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I was required to read those three books, along with Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare, How To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy, and a small collection of Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, for Advanced English 10 class last school year in 10th grade. I never actually finished How To Kill A Mockingbird, or most of the Sherlock Holmes short stories.

Brave New World was a fascinating look at a possible future. At points it was humorous in a tragic way, while maintaining a sense of tragedy and despair throughout the novel. It was very thought-provoking, and my favorite book that I have been required to read so far.

A Separate Peace was a very interesting book about World War II. It dealt with the horror and violence that occurred in a unique and intriguing manner, and ended with an insightful message about the nature of war. It was my second favorite book that I have been required to read so far.

Lord of the Flies was disturbing, to say the least, but it was also an intriguing novel. I enjoyed the parallel themes of supernaturalism and realism, and I was surprised at the ending. It was my third favorite book that I have been required to read so far.

I read 1984 for fun, but I'm sure it would have been a favorite required book.

But for actually required books, it probably would be The Lord of the Flies. Brutal message, but damn if it isn't true. Just plain amazing.

I wish I read more, but I've got other things to do and for some reason I'm not as into it anymore. Maybe when I'm older..?

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Mine are a tie between 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'Of Mice and Men.'

The film adaptions of both were pretty good, too.

To Kill A Mockingbird book was very philosophical and I loved the characters of Atticus Finch and Boo Radley.

Of Mice and Men got me because of George's character and the soul-crushing ending. 

In the end I enjoyed them both and thought they had valuable lessons to teach.

Hmmm well there was this one book I had to read in eighth grade, I think it was called "The Land" or something. It was the only book I ever read in school that I actually enjoyed reading. Other than that, I always found the novels that we read in school to be pretty boring.

I really enjoyed Of Mice and Men. I read the Grapes of Wrath on my own, which was also a Steinbeck novel, and absolutely hated it.

I also read A Clockwork Orange for a book report, and absolutely hated it. I asked the teacher if I could switch, and he told me no. I told him I could read another book in a week, and still get an outstanding grade, and he said ACO would challenge me more than anything else would.

He was a fantastic teacher.

I really liked The Great Gatsby and to Kill a Mockingbird. However, my favorite was probably Dead Man Walking, even though it is nonfiction, because it really opened my eyes about the death penalty. An excellent read, I'd highly encourage everyone who doesn't have to read it to still do so!

I love reading the books in schools. heres my list biggrin.png

-Holes

-Macbeth

-Life of Pi

-The Breadwinner

-Currently reading One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, so far so good

-Romeo and Juliet

-The Chrysalids

-12 Angry Men

I really hated the Great Gatsby though, sorry not sorry. I thought Hamlet was the most boring of the shakespearean ones. Metamorphosis was intriguing, but forgettable.

Edited by Mabel Pines

The Last Lecture. That book was amazing and spoke volumes about how to live a truly happy life. Only a person that can live with having full knowledge of their impending death and give back to people is a hero. 

"To Kill a Mockingbird" I absolutely loved that book.  It was probably the only required book that I wanted to keep reading, especially during the trial.  Also, I really liked "Anthem" by Ayn Rand; however, it only gets really good at the end.  

Edited by aceassasin

I was required to read The Outsiders. Best book I've read so far(I don't read very often, lol). AND I was required to read it. Passed all the tests for it too. Of Mice & Men was pretty good too. The Freedom Writers Diary was a good book in my opinion. All of these were required to be read by the students.

• 4 weeks later...

Where the Red Fern Grows is one required book I absolutely adored. It was only 6th grade, but still! We hadn't even finished it in class when I went out and bought my own copy. For months I just kept re-reading and re-reading it.

I also really did like Of Mice and Men. Though it's kind of a funny thing - it was assigned to us to read over our week-long spring break, but I had totally forgotten to read it until the Sunday night before school the next day! I was very lucky that it's not a very thick book!

And I liked Animal Farm and 1984.

And these weren't required per se, but they were some of the books we had to choose from for summer reading: I Know This Much is True and On a Pale Horse.