Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which background pony should have their own episode?

Robert3186

24 users have voted

1. 1. Which background pony should get a speaking roll?

• Octavia
    • Doctor Whooves
    • DJ-PON3
    • Slender pony (o_0)
    • derpy already spoke but MOAR

I'm afraid I don't feel any of the background ponies truly deserve an episode, at least not without something occurring ahead of time to give them actual character and definition. True, we have our fanon, and that fanon has already influenced the show with the results of Derpy becoming an actual character(she is now a tertiary character and thus is not included in this assessment) but unless you really want to see Lyra obsessing about humans, a drunk Berry Punch, and the copyright violating Doctor Whooves TARDISing about the place in violation of common sense, I don't think we can really expect an episode for any of them.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind another small scene for a couple of them in the same vein as Derpy's. Even something as simple as, say, Dashie chatting up Vinyl Scratch at the DJ table, or Octavia taking a break and talking a bit about her music to Rarity would be rather delightful. But I'm not going to expect even that much, since none of them are as beloved in the fandom as Derpy was and still is.

• Brohoof 3

I would like to see Derpy get some more screen time. If that doesn't happen, I would want to see a shared episode or scene between Vinyl Scratch(DJ-PON3) and Octavia. I think a lot of fan art has a really good idea for how these two would act around each other by trying convince they other that their style of music is better. I could see some pretty funny stuff happening if this actually happened in an episode. Edited by super muffin derpy506

Some of the charm in the background ponies resides in the fact that they are not main (or mane, if you prefer to be punny) characters. With the idiosyncratic nature of Derpy aside, it is difficult to justify, as Kyronea explained, Octavia or Vinyl Scratch---just to name two---getting their own episodes. Such an episode would be more of a distraction from the main premise of the show. They are better served to be complimentary pieces rather than the main events (or mane events if again you wish to be punny). We got a taste of that with "Hearts and Hooves Day", though the CMC remained the centerpieces of the episode. I'm of the opinion that MLP: FiM should not wander too far from the activities of the Mane 6.

For some reason, however, I can imagine Derpy receiving more attention for an episode. I don't think it's due to her popularity amongst bronies that I say this. So long as, say, Rainbow Dash or a member of the Mane 6 was involved, I could go along with the premise.

Some of the charm in the background ponies resides in the fact that they are not main (or mane, if you prefer to be punny) characters. With the idiosyncratic nature of Derpy aside, it is difficult to justify, as Kyronea explained, Octavia or Vinyl Scratch---just to name two---getting their own episodes. Such an episode would be more of a distraction from the main premise of the show. They are better served to be complimentary pieces rather than the main events (or mane events if again you wish to be punny). We got a taste of that with "Hearts and Hooves Day", though the CMC remained the centerpieces of the episode. I'm of the opinion that MLP: FiM should not wander too far from the activities of the Mane 6.

For some reason, however, I can imagine Derpy receiving more attention for an episode. I don't think it's due to her popularity amongst bronies that I say this. So long as, say, Rainbow Dash or a member of the Mane 6 was involved, I could go along with the premise.

I would go so far as to argue that Hearts and Hooves Day is a good example why handing an episode over to a background pony would be a terrible idea, even if it was Derpy. Even though both Cheerilee and Big Mac had been featured in many episodes prior, they took the spotlight so much that we had almost no trace of the Mane Six at all, and the episode suffered for it. Without the main characters, the show does not do quite as well. Granted it was still a good episode, but the quality was lowered.

I would go so far as to argue that Hearts and Hooves Day is a good example why handing an episode over to a background pony would be a terrible idea, even if it was Derpy. Even though both Cheerilee and Big Mac had been featured in many episodes prior, they took the spotlight so much that we had almost no trace of the Mane Six at all, and the episode suffered for it. Without the main characters, the show does not do quite as well. Granted it was still a good episode, but the quality was lowered.

Fair enough. I think that is an honest assessment and one with which I would generally agree. I too missed the Mane Six in that episode even though the CMC were there to at least partially represent the central cast.

With respect to Derpy, I meant to justify her involvement as one which is complimentary to at least one member of the Mane Six. That is not to say the rest of the Mane Six should be AWOL for the entire episode as they were in "Hearts and Hooves Day." If a member of the Mane Six has a dilemma in relation to a background pony (Rarity tends to be a classic example), then she should seek help from her friends. That formula is well established. If it is just about watching the background pony deal with a problem apart from the Mane 6, then the episode is poorly oriented.

While I agree that the show is better with the mane 6, we really cant complain about having horrible filler episodes wich focus on secondary or tertiary characters. I mean, first, the CMC are used quite a lot and are also main characters, secondly, during the whole of the 2 second season we've had plenty of episodes wich havent featured all of the mane 6. I do feel that the second season its not just a story, its a combination of many stories, while the first was the story of twilight sparkle in ponyville. Now, we get a lot of random episodes, that might not feature her, or some of the mane 6 characters, and might not even have a letter to celestia.

What I mean, is that this is a non linear show, so having a background character episode at some point, to make the hardcore fans (us of course) happy its not so bad. Although, the day every single background character starts getting their own episode, the show'll die.

I think we'll all be happy if there's an episode wich stars ALL (or most) of the famous background characters, and has no trace of the main characters.

One epic short adventure featuring lyra and bonbon, and derpy and octavia and vynil scracth and berry punch and rose, daisy and lily and whoever you want to add that has never had a mayor role

Fair enough. I think that is an honest assessment and one with which I would generally agree. I too missed the Mane Six in that episode even though the CMC were there to at least partially represent the central cast.

With respect to Derpy, I meant to justify her involvement as one which is complimentary to at least one member of the Mane Six. That is not to say the rest of the Mane Six should be AWOL for the entire episode as they were in "Hearts and Hooves Day." If a member of the Mane Six has a dilemma in relation to a background pony (Rarity tends to be a classic example), then she should seek help from her friends. That formula is well established. If it is just about watching the background pony deal with a problem apart from the Mane 6, then the episode is poorly oriented.

Indeed, which is more or less what I meant. Derpy's role in The Last Roundup was mostly as a foil for Rainbow Dash to bounce off of and work with. It was an effective promotion of a background pony into tertiary character, and a solid use of the sort I would love to see again, whether it's Derpy or even some other background pony given a trace or two of personality through such a small scene.

Devoting an entire episode to them though wouldn't work. Even Derpy couldn't carry an entire episode, not unless she was working by the side of at least one of the Mane Six throughout the entire episode, for whatever purposes those might end up being. The main characters are just too important to the show.

Do I really want to know who this Slender Pony is?

That would be me. Slendermane/Slenderpony doesn't need a speaking role, mainly because he doesn't speak. The only background ponies that I would like to speak are Dj Pon 3 and Octavia. I also wouldn't mind Lyra (how many lines has Bon Bon had so far?)

While I agree that the show is better with the mane 6, we really cant complain about having horrible filler episodes wich focus on secondary or tertiary characters. I mean, first, the CMC are used quite a lot and are also main characters, secondly, during the whole of the 2 second season we've had plenty of episodes wich havent featured all of the mane 6. I do feel that the second season its not just a story, its a combination of many stories, while the first was the story of twilight sparkle in ponyville. Now, we get a lot of random episodes, that might not feature her, or some of the mane 6 characters, and might not even have a letter to celestia.

What I mean, is that this is a non linear show, so having a background character episode at some point, to make the hardcore fans (us of course) happy its not so bad. Although, the day every single background character starts getting their own episode, the show'll die.

I think we'll all be happy if there's an episode wich stars ALL (or most) of the famous background characters, and has no trace of the main characters.

One epic short adventure featuring lyra and bonbon, and derpy and octavia and vynil scracth and berry punch and rose, daisy and lily and whoever you want to add that has never had a mayor role

The problem with Hearts and Hooves Day was the key missing element. The strength of this show is in the Mane Six, in their fleshed out three dimensional personas, their flaws and their strengths. Even with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who do manage to carry a lot of humor and keep me interested I will admit, the episode suffered because none of the Mane Six had an important role. Twilight's role could have been replaced by Zecora with absolutely zero impact on the plot, which is not a good sign.

And this was with characters that have already had their personalities established and at least partially fleshed out. If you attempt to do the same thing with characters who thus far have no real canon personalities at all, I feel that the result would be severely lacking in quality.

Again, I'm not against one of the other background ponies having a brief scene where, like Derpy, they interact with one of the Mane Six in one way or another. But I don't feel they deserve an episode based around them, not until they're turned into real characters first, something that would have to happen over time.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think any Pony should get their own Episode or else they would no longer be a background Pony.

However I would like Octavia and DJ-PON3 speaking, preferable together, same for Bon Bon and Lyra!

I don't think Derpy should ever speak again though... these should be one time things for the fans.

I would like an episode where the Mane 6 and CMC take a supporting role and we focus on a few of the lesser or background Ponies. It would be a cool experiment to see one episode without any of the Mane characters.

Not sure who to use as a central character perhaps the Mayor. Seeing her try to keep order in the town while the Mane 6 is away would be cool! :P

The problem with Hearts and Hooves Day was the key missing element. The strength of this show is in the Mane Six, in their fleshed out three dimensional personas, their flaws and their strengths. Even with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who do manage to carry a lot of humor and keep me interested I will admit, the episode suffered because none of the Mane Six had an important role. Twilight's role could have been replaced by Zecora with absolutely zero impact on the plot, which is not a good sign.

And this was with characters that have already had their personalities established and at least partially fleshed out. If you attempt to do the same thing with characters who thus far have no real canon personalities at all, I feel that the result would be severely lacking in quality.

Again, I'm not against one of the other background ponies having a brief scene where, like Derpy, they interact with one of the Mane Six in one way or another. But I don't feel they deserve an episode based around them, not until they're turned into real characters first, something that would have to happen over time.

Wait a minute... It seems I just forgot my own opinion and decided to just go against you for the sake of discussion, I actually do hate background character episodes in any show! I love the show cause of the main characters, and I liked the idea of Twilight as the main character who was in every episode. Even though the show has never been linear, now it feels less like a story than ever! I like the CMC but we still need to have the mane 6 present!

No background ponys episodes ever!