Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

Rarity is my favorite of the main 6. There's a very big Rarity fan club on this forum site that has posts galore. I think everyone has a pony of preference and a pony they'll dislike.

• Brohoof 2

I'd estimate that it has something to do with the fact that people like to feel like they are on a team, and that can make them hostile towards ponies they don't like (Or perhaps people who like ponies that they don't like).

It makes them feel good to "fight" people with opposing view points as it helps them perform a powerplay and try to show dominance over the other people in the conversation.

So, you admit that everything I said up there was correct, then? Because, to be honest, you haven't been trying to disprove any of it.

no, I'm admitting that you have given valid points against me. I'm still sticking to my opinion and saying that she is terrible.

I was never trying to argue.

no, I'm admitting that you have given valid points against me. I'm still sticking to my opinion and saying that she is terrible.

I was never trying to argue.

I need reason as to why she was terrible. I debunked everything you said up there, and you're saying it's valid.

If you think she's terrible, you need to give reason other than just saying so.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 3

Yes, she can be a diva and drama queen, but at least she has flaws, the other five are so anodyne!

Twilight Sparkle: Obsessive compulsive, has to make a checklist for everything, will freak out at the prospect of not being prepared for a test or missing a deadline.

Rainbow Dash: Boastful, lazy, impatient, impulsive

Fluttershy: doormat

Pinkie Pie: hyperactive, has difficulty noticing social cues, short attention span

Applejack: incredibly stubborn

• Brohoof 8

She doesn't have THAT much hate... just because she may not be EVERYONE's favorite pony doesn't mean she isn't loved! She is my personal least fav, I must admit, but I still like her... she has her flaws, like any other character, but I just don't "connect" with her as much as the other ponies, but I in no way explicitly HATE her, if this makes sense. ^^;

• Brohoof 1

Rarity is my least favourite Mane 6 pony entirely for a personal reason; I have rarely ever appreciated upper-class personalities such as her's. They have often led to more moments which I can rarely ever favour, including how much Rarity's drama-queening just gets under my skin.

While Rarity is possibly the least affected out of every other cartoon character I know that follows this, I still favour the rest of the Mane 6 over her. All of the other members are alive with personalities which I can appreciate, but sadly, Rarity's is not one of those.

Edited by Mars Brownie

Rarity is my least favourite Mane 6 pony entirely for a personal reason; I have rarely ever appreciated upper-class personalities such as her's. They have often led to more moments which I can rarely ever favour, including how much Rarity's drama-queening just gets under my skin.

While Rarity is possibly the least affected out of every other cartoon character I know that follows this, I still favour the rest of the Mane 6 over her. All of the other members are alive with personalities which I can appreciate, but sadly, Rarity's is not one of those.

Aye. You're writing her off as just being another Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon. 

Sure, she aspires to be high-class, but holding that against her instead of giving her a fair chance as the rest isn't a good thing. If you were to look at her character, you'd see that she's more or less a beautiful mare, both inside and out, and not really like any character of her archetype ever :D

She's a real Rarity when it comes to characterization, you just need to give her a shot to shine ;) I assure you she's nothing like the other characters that you can (understandably) despise :D

• Brohoof 2

Aye. You're writing her off as just being another Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon. 

Sure, she aspires to be high-class, but holding that against her instead of giving her a fair chance as the rest isn't a good thing. If you were to look at her character, you'd see that she's more or less a beautiful mare, both inside and out, and not really like any character of her archetype ever :D

She's a real Rarity when it comes to characterization, you just need to give her a shot to shine ;) I assure you she's nothing like the other characters that you can (understandably) despise :D

gotta convert them all

But yeah. Rarity may not be my favorite or everyones favorite, but i highly doubt she gets alot of hate. Not like other characters. To be honest, i cant really see how you can hate any of them. Personally Pinkie is my least favorite, and Fluttershy can be boring, but i never really hate them.

Edited by Delernil
  • Brohoof 3

I so agree and hey this is coming from a tomboy! lol I used to hate dress up, still sometimes do, although I do obsess over gothic fashion which it is dark but CAN be girly and fancy but just because she's girly doesn't mean she's a horrible pony I've been catching up in the episodes and such but I even liked her since season one I guess people like to make a big deal out of very small things (see the irony here? XD they make a big deal out of small things but blame her for over-reacting) XD and I say this in general XD :yay:

Edited by MarcelineA
  • Brohoof 2

The problem is I think that a lot of people who hate her have something of a gut reaction to the outer trappings of the character.  We're conditioned to hate people who are high class and vain, or think that fashion is somehow a boring or silly interest.  I don't know if there's a whole lot of thought given to why the character doesn't work for them. 

Maybe it's just the analyst side of me, but when I dislike a character, it's because something about the way they're written is frustrating or unengaging.  .

It's kind of ironic because  we're all fans of a super-girly show, and the most unflinchingly girly character in the show still has detractors within the fandom.  Yeah, Fluttershy is girly, but Rarity's approach is much more loud and up front.  She's not only feminine, she's feminine and *damn proud of it*. 

• Brohoof 3

Ok. Let me see...

90% of Fluttershy's lines in the show are either her being too shy about something or about animals.

While the first bit may be true, the bit about animals is not. she seems to talk about her friends just as much, if not more than her animals. It seems to be the case of 90% being shy, and 60% being about her friends. The rest is animals.

Nope. Her entire personality revolves around her passion for fashion, the work she puts into achieving her dreams, the over-dramatic nature of her reactions, and being a kind, giving spirit to her friends who will ultimately sacrifice her own desires to do what's best for them.

When your personality is your passion for fashion, and your job is fashion, and your hobbies involve looking your best at the spa; your personality if basically fashion. Her over-dramatic nature is probably another reason I hate her. It's not a positive to over-react to everything, and when that "everything" is mainly fashion then you know it can't get worse. And yes, Fluttershy also over-reacts about her animals. That is a point I cannot argue

Next point!

S01E01: Friendship is Magic
S01E02: Friendship Is Magic
This point is too valid to argue, apart from the fact that the first two (technically three) episodes were building up, and introducing us to the characters. She was generous in these episodes because if she wasn't then we'd all see her as snobbish and greedy.

S01E11: Winter Wrap Up

After Twilight showed her lack of nest-making abilities, Rarity took it apart almost entirely and put it back together again. That seemed like both a cruel move to twilight and the birds: Twilight watched Rarity rip it apart, thus lowering her self-esteem, and the birds would've gone without nests. (Thinking about it, shouldn't that have been Fluttershy's job? She has to take care of the animals after all. Surely she could have sent a few ponies to help?)

S01E14: Suited For Success

Though you have a very good point there, you also have to remember that she wallowed in her self-pity after the others embarrassed her. And while she was generous to make them for free, and customize them, she wasn't generous enough to tell them their designs sucked. She kept it to herself, despite knowing that they were hideous. That episode seemed to be less of a lesson for the others, and more of a lesson for her: If your friends are doing something bad, tell them rather than hold it in.

S01E16: Sonic Rainboom

And then after gaining her wings, her greed gets the best of her and she seeks all attetion, causing Rainbow Dash to nearly lose. The only thing that made her realize her mistake was almost dying.

S01E20: Green isn't Your Color

You see, you seem to be missing the fact that she was jealous in the first place. While it was generous of her to keep it a secret, she still wanted to be in Fluttershy's place, to be the one getting the attention. What if it wasn't fluttershy? What if she had hired a model to show off the clothes? The moment she became popular, Rarity may have took her place.

S01E25: A Party of One

Yeah, and then went and washed her mane, probably for the next 2 hours afterward. (Couldn't she have said that she was designing a dress instead?)

S02E05: Sisterhooves Social

Seeing as how covering yourself in seaweed and jumping into mud is treatment at a spa, I doubt that jumping in that mud affected her that much. Plus, she was only doing that to get her sister back. If Sweetie Belle hadn't done that drawing, Rarity may have never got near the mud in the first place.

S02E08: Mysterious Mare Do Well

Makes 4 costumes for her friends to wear in their mission of bringing a borderlining on narcissism Rainbow Dash back down to earth.

S02E09: Sweet & Elite

Beforehand she gave her friends over in the first place. If her friends never visited Canterlot she may have never went, and instead would've become a Canterlot elite.

S02E10: Secret of My Excess

Spares the feelings of a horny baby dragon who stole half of the city and kidnapped her, even going as far to kiss him on the cheek.

S02E14: The Last Roundup

She done that mainly because she needed to get home, and there wasn't a train nearby. That probably wasn't because she was being generous.

S02E19: Putting Your Hoof Down

Yes. I can see how this is valid. The only irritating factor is that he method of helping Fluttershy was to show her how to flirt with ponies. She probably knew that Fluttershy couldn't make small chatter with a pony, never mind flirting, but went for it anyway because it was all she knew.

S02E21: Dragon Quest

The first point seemed to embarrass him more than anything, and who would really complain about standing behind Rainbow dash that close? but the rest I can't argue with.
S02E25: A Canterlot Wedding

Who said she was doing it for free? The Letter said she was to make the dresses, not make the dresses with no pay. The closest I can think is doing it without a cost for materials but other than that she probably got paid. Just because it was never mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen.

S03E01: The Crystal Empire

I can agree that she done it for free, but most of that episode she was fantasizing about being a crystal pony, rather than caring about, I dunno, helping them?

S03E12: Games Ponies Play

yeah, and probably got paid well for it.
Again, just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen.

(Note: Rarity got screwed in Season 3. I assure you Season 4 will be different.)

Equestria Girls:

All understandable, except for the mess. because if you hate a mess you're obviously going to clean it up.

Thanks for all that. I really needed to argue against all that.
There, you happy? have I made entirely valid arguments for you? Because really, you didn't "debunk" any of them, you just gave your side of the spectrum. I wan't making this an argument, just a statement of my opinions.

Rarity hate? I keep hearing about it, but I am yet to see it. I know I don't frequent this section of the forum that much, but I think I'd see it.. Generally I just see general complaints about all of the mane six (Pinkie Pie being flanderized, Twilight Sparkle being an alicorn, Apple Jack being a background character, Rainbow Dash being too arrogant, etc., etc.). Any complaints about Rarity are among complaints about the rest of the characters.

• Brohoof 2

After Twilight showed her lack of nest-making abilities, Rarity took it apart almost entirely and put it back together again. That seemed like both a cruel move to twilight and the birds: Twilight watched Rarity rip it apart, thus lowering her self-esteem, and the birds would've gone without nests. (Thinking about it, shouldn't that have been Fluttershy's job? She has to take care of the animals after all. Surely she could have sent a few ponies to help?)  

So, you're claiming she was attempting to lower Twilight's self esteem? Rarity has an eye for detail and was just trying to help Twilight with the nest she didn't make very well not only look better but be suitable for living.

Though you have a very good point there, you also have to remember that she wallowed in her self-pity after the others embarrassed her. And while she was generous to make them for free, and customize them, she wasn't generous enough to tell them their designs sucked. She kept it to herself, despite knowing that they were hideous. That episode seemed to be less of a lesson for the others, and more of a lesson for her: If your friends are doing something bad, tell them rather than hold it in.

Telling them their designs "sucked" does not qualify as generosity, that's more or less honesty. Being upset after her friends essentially cost her the job she'd been dreaming about since she was a filly is a bit understandable, no? I mean, would you be peachy if you tried doing something nice for your friends and it ended up costing you your dream job? She's lucky that Hoity Toity was willing to give her a second chance.

You see, you seem to be missing the fact that she was jealous in the first place. While it was generous of her to keep it a secret, she still wanted to be in Fluttershy's place, to be the one getting the attention. What if it wasn't fluttershy? What if she had hired a model to show off the clothes? The moment she became popular, Rarity may have took her place.  

She was jealous. The name of the episode was "Green isn't Your Color" was it not?

She's a flawed character, and that's what makes her interesting. 

Also, if you can't prove that Rarity would've done something different, your argument holds no water. I don't think she would've. Can you prove to me that she would've?

Yeah, and then went and washed her mane, probably for the next 2 hours afterward. (Couldn't she have said that she was designing a dress instead?)

And what exactly does that prove?

Seeing as how covering yourself in seaweed and jumping into mud is treatment at a spa, I doubt that jumping in that mud affected her that much. Plus, she was only doing that to get her sister back. If Sweetie Belle hadn't done that drawing, Rarity may have never got near the mud in the first place.  

She's claimed to have hated mud numerous times "Ah, Mud!" "Ah, Dirt!" etc.

Also, that drawing helped Rarity realize her mistakes; she cared about her sister enough to cover herself in that muck that she hates to try and win her back. However, there's not a doubt in my mind she would've realized her mistakes, picture or no picture.

Beforehand she gave her friends over in the first place. If her friends never visited Canterlot she may have never went, and instead would've become a Canterlot elite.

How exactly did she "give her friends" over? :huh:

Her friends may have never visited Canterlot if she never went, but her friends also sent her to Canterlot (Twilight got her that room in Celestia's castle, no?) 

Yes. I can see how this is valid. The only irritating factor is that he method of helping Fluttershy was to show her how to flirt with ponies. She probably knew that Fluttershy couldn't make small chatter with a pony, never mind flirting, but went for it anyway because it was all she knew.  

Your signature says "Support the Fluttershy" master race, but yet you criticize Rarity for supporting Fluttershy? That's a bit disconcerting, to be honest. If you're going to cast aside something good done for your best pony just to criticize your worst pony, what does that say about how much you really care about Fluttershy?

The first point seemed to embarrass him more than anything, and who would really complain about standing behind Rainbow dash that close? but the rest I can't argue with.

She had no malicious intent there, and you know it. Furthermore, a heterosexual might? Rarity HAS displayed an interest in stallions throughout the series, you know.

Who said she was doing it for free? The Letter said she was to make the dresses, not make the dresses with no pay. The closest I can think is doing it without a cost for materials but other than that she probably got paid. Just because it was never mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen.  

They probably paid for materials, but we never saw Rarity receive any sort of payment for it. Unless you can prove with canon facts that Rarity was indeed paid for making those dresses, we'll just have to go with what we saw in the show.

I can agree that she done it for free, but most of that episode she was fantasizing about being a crystal pony, rather than caring about, I dunno, helping them?

What matters is that she did it for free. This is a list of everything generous she's done, not a list trying to prove that she's best pony.

yeah, and probably got paid well for it. Again, just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen.  

And again, you need to provide proof. You just can't say stuff like this with no evidence of it happening and expect your argument to hold any sort of water. 

Prove that she got paid, with canon facts, and then this would be believable.

All understandable, except for the mess. because if you hate a mess you're obviously going to clean it up.

But did she have to clean it up? That's the question. No, she didn't; but she did anyway. Cleaning up that sort of mess is bound to get one dirty, which we know she hates, but she went for it anyway. She didn't have to help, and if she was like you're saying she is, she wouldn't have helped in order to stay clean and pristine. That simple.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

If I had to guess why people hate Rarity, I would say it's probably because she's an ultra drama queen, and sometimes she gets too caught up in her fashion stuff and wanting to be upper-class or whatever. But that doesn't mean she's not a good friend and she is also generous, so she's got that going for her I suppose. Plus she's hot

Edited by Champion RD92
  • Brohoof 4