Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorns

Bronydash

I'm pretty sure they changed into an alicorn some time in their lives, and it's impossible to be born an alicorn.

They turn into it for a certain reason, and stuff. Just like how Twilight Sparkle became an alicorn because of how much she understands about friendship.

I'm kind of tired, but the short explanation pretty much sums it up.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with the posts above, but I'm confused about one thing: What did they both do that made both of them alicorns? Did one do something important and demanded that the other become a alicorn too?

You have to be a unicorn in order to be an alicorn, you can't be a pegasus and then turn into an alicorn; it's impossible and logical

you dont have to be a unicorn to be an alicorn. Princess Cadance was a pegasus before becoming an alicorn. This is shown in the cannon book 

Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell

I agree with the posts above, but I'm confused about one thing: What did they both do that made both of them alicorns? Did one do something important and demanded that the other become a alicorn too?

I've thought about this, and I think it might be wear they were the original discovers of the elements of harmony, it might also have something to do with them originally having 3 elements each, unlike the main 6 who only control 1 a piece.

If they were born Alicorns, this would imply that there is a a fourth "race" of ponies that we haven't seen yet. Or perhaps a Pegasus and a Unicorn had children together, and both unique traits were combined together in a rare occurrence.

If they were turned into Alicorns, this would imply they did something worthy to initiate this change. If it's like what Twilight did, they too would have had a mentor of a higher power do this. If it's different, perhaps they found a way themselves.

Whatever the case, both options open a world of possible stories that can change how we look at the MLP world. Is there a mysterious Alicorn race? What could they have done that was worthy of this change? Or perhaps it's a philosophical question of "Which came first"? Whatever the case, a little history in S4 would be so very welcome.

(edited)

I'm going with the popular fancanon that their parents represented day and night, and were alicorns, thus they were made alicorns. If they weren't alicorns in the first place, who would "coronate" them? And plus they're the only alicorns with flowy manes, plus they're both over 1000 years old.

Edited by Lunatia

I think they were alicorns in the first place or, they were born as unicorns then they started to achieve many goals and fulfill their destinies so they could run Ponyville as the two most powerful alicorns.

I'm pretty sure they changed into an alicorn some time in their lives, and it's impossible to be born an alicorn.

They turn into it for a certain reason, and stuff. Just like how Twilight Sparkle became an alicorn because of how much she understands about friendship.

I'm kind of tired, but the short explanation pretty much sums it up.

Well apparently Hasbro's recent cash cow suggests otherwise, Princess Skyla:

3yBjv.jpg

I detest her as much as I detest Hasbro, and many corporations for that matter, but she does seem to suggest that its very well possible to be born an alicorn.

I think it's completely possible to be born an alicorn.

That said, it's also potentially, theoretically, possible that they became alicorns by defeating Discord, or became alicorns by connecting themselves to the Elements of Harmony.

However, if the latter possibility is true, then someone would likely have to help them with the ritual to become an alicorn, like Celestia guided Twilight.

I think it's far more likely that alicorns can be born as alicorns.

• 2 weeks later...

I think an alicorn usually becomes an alicorn when they become a princess. There have been times when ponies were born alicorns, but that's only when they are born a princess. I don't know how it works, it's too complicated.

(edited)

Luna was sent in the moon 1000 years ago, but they both ruled the land for much longer.

I think they were born, or perhaps even have been created as alicorns (but not made/ascended by other alicorns).

Perhaps season 4 will contain the answer to this.

Edited by spacestorm

You have to be a unicorn in order to be an alicorn, you can't be a pegasus and then turn into an alicorn; it's impossible and logical

Yet offically Cadance is now shown that she was a pegasus turned alicorn

-------------------

Also Celestia and Luna were always intended to be born alicorns, though Hasbro could change this.

Twilight and Cadence both 'ascended' to alicorn status from a unicorn and a pegasis respectively according to episode Magical Mystery Cure, and the supposedly canon book 'Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell'

Luna and Celestia were born alicorns according to 'Word of God', Lauren Faust. However, as she is no longer 'God' for the series the current writers can change that at any time.

According to the toy line, if at least one parent is an alicorn, then the foal *can* be an alicorn, going by Princess Skyla. However the toy line is not automatically canon to the series.

There is another alicorn mentioned in the series that we know very little about; the unnamed Princess that was subject to the Love Poison in the Hearts and Hooves Day episode. The illustration in the potion book was of an alicorn. However, since it's an illustration there is no guarantee that this character was an alicorn. It might be 'artistic license' because she was supposedly a princess.

It is possible that Celestia and Luna are the children of this unnamed Princess Alicorn. There is nothing that actually disproves this, but there is no real proof either. Just a supposition based on what few bits of information we have.

I go into further detail here: http://mlpforums.com/blog/844/entry-5485-alicorns-historical-mystery/, http://mlpforums.com/blog/844/entry-5486-alicorns-the-current-set/, http://mlpforums.com/blog/844/entry-5487-alicorns-celestia-and-lunas-past/.