Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Java be a good programming language to start out with?

Samrules350

So here is my situation... I want to get back into programming, but have no idea what I should start out with again... 

A few years back, in the seventh grade I did some Python for an afterschool club. So I know I can take on programming. It's just I have no Idea where to start or what language to learn!

So for all you programmers out there, would you say Java would be a good start?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm not exactly a programmer yet, but from what I understand, C is a pretty good language to start out with before you get into the more complicated ones. It isn't that difficult to start out with and it's actually a pretty practical language to know. A large part of the Linux kernel was written using C and a lot of the things you learn can be carried on to the more complex languages like Java.

I started with Python as well and I did learn quite a bit by not jumping straight into the object oriented languages and taking things slowly. I can't speak about how crazy java code can get, but I know how nuts my simpler code became

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Seconded with above, C is a rather good programming language to start out with. Not only does it teach you the basics, it prepares you for the standards of other languages such as Java and C++. I took a C course as part of my degree, and it was probably the best thing I could do at the time. I've used Python as well, though...not as much as I'd have liked to. I recommend starting out with C and maybe a compiler like NetBeans. Install the NetBeans IDE, fiddle with the syntax and play with commands. *shrug*

(edited)

I'm pretty new to programming, and Java is currently the only language I know. Learning it was quite difficult, to be completely honest. I feel pretty good about my ability to understand the logic that goes along with programming now, so I don't think it's a total wash. It just took about half of a year to get me there. =P

Edited by lincolnshirepony

If you aren't taking a class run by a professor who is paid to teach you the skills needed for programming and the language itself then choose a language that is going motivate you to learn on your own. Do your research on multiple languages and pick one that you think you are going to use the most for what you want to do.

Learning any programming language on your own is tough and there really is no 'easier' language to learn. Although when I was learning C in school I thought it was easy and is a great starter language for someone not used to writing any code or thinking like a programmer.

• Brohoof 1

I heard python and C++ are good. Although, I'd recommend to research what language you are most interested in, and  make an assumed conclusion by yourself which one is better for the field of work you plan to get yourself into.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're making a video game, I'd say go with Java. But if you're making any other program, go with C++. (This is just my opinion, some people will tell you otherwise.) I feel like with Java, you can just sit down and start writing code for a game. There's already a nice graphics library. But with C++ (I haven't used C very much, I'm unfamiliar with it) you need to install things like OpenGL if you want graphics, which in my opinion is a pain in the ass.

However, some people will tell you this: C++ is a more powerful language. This to me is mostly because Java doesn't make you have to deal with memory (Which doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you want to have the best optimization, it's something you'll have to worry about.) So C++ does give you more control. However I HATE C++'s object-oriented syntax (Which is something kind of complicated, and I won't go into detail about it.) Java is what's called an object oriented langauge. C++ in my opinion tries to do this, but I feel Java did it better. But I still like C++, but I also like Java.

In conclusion: if you're making a video game, go with Java, but if not, go with C++.

Edited by Betez

I'd say Java and Python are probably the best places to start. C++ is slightly lower level (though still a high level language) than those two so it's a little harder to pick up... Like, you have to manage memory by yourself and stuff. Java and Python have automatic garbage collection so it simplifies a lot. Besides, Java and Python have much more expansive built-in APIs than C++'s STL... +1 for Boost and Qt for C++ though! :)

EDIT:

Also, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :) I do a lot of programming.

I should probs point out a couple of other things about the languages as well, some rationale behind choosing one language over another...

C++, Python, and Java are all object oriented languages, but all three include non-object primitives (though I don't believe that is still true with Py3). Object orientation is a notion of treating groupings of code as a sort of blueprint from which you can build many of that object with. Object orientation is currently one of the most popular programming paradigms, though as with anything else, there is a fair amount of controversy surrounding its value.

All three of these languages force a fair amount of structure. Python is based off a programming language designed for teaching, and forces clean syntax. Java on the other hand requires a class to be defined to even write 'hello world'. C++ has a few oddities that might throw you off at first when you're trying to learn to program which is why I wouldn't recommend it over the other two. Features like pointers, multiple inheritance, and garbage collection can be a little bit of a hassle. On the other hand, C++ gives you a lot more power and flexibility while being more verbose than the other two options.

I would also recommend Ruby, but I find since it is a pure object oriented language while being rather functional, and being incredibly flexible, tends to result in bad code from new programmers, and good code only from very careful, clean programmers.

Edited by kotakotakota

• 3 months later...

My STRONG recomendation is for you to start out with a simpler language built specificly for the purpose of teaching programming before diving into the deep wnd with something like Java or C, maybe GML, Ruby, or Scratch. But if your really content about skipping that step, I learned with java so.

So here is my situation... I want to get back into programming, but have no idea what I should start out with again... 

A few years back, in the seventh grade I did some Python for an afterschool club. So I know I can take on programming. It's just I have no Idea where to start or what language to learn!

So for all you programmers out there, would you say Java would be a good start?

It's been a few months since you started this thread.  Any updates?  Did you end up going with Java, or maybe something else?