Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The War on Attention

akalink

We as citizens of 1st world countries are facing a serious problem. Its a war on attention. We live in a world with iphones, internet, instant gratification. The reality is that to achieve much greater things, it requires attention and dedication. Our education system is beginning to fail more and more as our attention is driven away by our media. Doing actual work has become even harder now that pleasing our boredom is only a click/tap away.

Now that I've given you some context, what would you do about it if you were to fix this problem? That is if you think this is a problem.

• Brohoof 1

I don't watch the news. I don't have a smartphone to distract me either. I do think this is a problem as girls in my grade have their eyes glued to their phones 24/7 and they're always watching their Kardashians. This is a problem because people won't work as hard as they used to. Also, people are too distracted by the things you mentioned to notice the real problems. 

• Brohoof 3

Oh god I am sick of this subject. Personally I wouldn't call it a war. This is a subject I have heard many times over, but with a new paint job. Yes we have fancy toys and yes we are going to use them when we can and how we can. But they are just forms of communication. Its not the education systems fault, they're the ones that constantly try to help the students. To say a certain branch of the media is causing the collapse of something, is just a group of finger pointers. Instead of blaming the product, people should blame themselves for once. But this is one opinion over many.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really know how to solve this problem since, nobody would actually pay attention to the real problems. People don't really pay attention to what really matters, not surprised. So, let's put the war on attention in a cemetery where it belongs.

I have a K800i and a desktop pc, that's it... I actually don't like to be "available" to contact anytime or stuck to a device 24/7 that's not what I call convenient.

(edited)

I actually agree with the OP on this because honestly, I have the same problem. As much as I try to focus my attention on something important like cleaning up my room (which I SHOULD be doing right now but here I am instead :blush: ) I look over at my phone and something in my mind just clicks on and says "go to it, it's more fun" and I end up doing so... :blush:

My opinion is: technology, in most cases, is very addicting. As much as I try to turn myself away from it; I always seem to go right into it without thinking...

It is a pretty bad habit and I will be one to say it is my fault for letting myself get too attached to it in the first place... :blush:

Edited by Wuvable ♥ Woona
  • Brohoof 1

I actually agree with the OP on this because honestly, I have the same problem. As much as I try to focus my attention on something important like cleaning up my room (which I SHOULD be doing right now but here I am instead :blush: ) I look over at my phone and something in my mind hust clicks on and says "go to it, it's more fun" and I end up doing so...

My opinion is: technology, in most cases, is very addicting. As much as I try to turn myself away from it; I always seem to go right into it without thinking...

It is a pretty bad habit and I will be one to say it is my fault for letting myself get too attached to it in the first place... :blush:

i can completely relate to this. everytime i try to be productive, i end up posting on the forums or doing stuff on my phone.

it actually got to the point where i needed to do an extra year in school because i was on my phone all the time :o

and as much as people hate to admit this, a lot of the worlds population would be pretty much helpless without the convienience of things like the internet. it has changed the way we live. and it wasn't really for the better i think.

• Brohoof 1

i can completely relate to this. everytime i try to be productive, i end up posting on the forums or doing stuff on my phone.

it actually got to the point where i needed to do an extra year in school because i was on my phone all the time :o

and as much as people hate to admit this, a lot of the worlds population would be pretty much helpless without the convienience of things like the internet. it has changed the way we live. and it wasn't really for the better i think.

Yeah honestly, I believe that it has come to the point where technology has made it easier for people who already have a short attention span (like me, sadly :blush: ) to get really easily distracted.

In my case, if something isn't fun (like organizing, in my case) then I'll just end up pushing it aside in favor of going on the internet to actually do something fun...

Like posting on the forums...

(edited)

I've got my problem fixed!

I can't even stand to hear the news, it HURTS MY EARS AND DIGNITY.

Everything you hear, European Union, NATO, European Union, NATO, European Union!

I hope we never get there.                    NAZISM NAZISM NAZISM NAZISM, ONLY NAZISM YOU HEAR ABOUT. :/

I'm not that interested in phones, only sometimes I listen to classical or patriotic music.

Edited by BronysaurusSRB

(edited)

I don't see why it's such a huge problem. There's evidence that ADHD existed during the Renaissance. I like to listen to music while surfing the internet, a lot.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

I can't stand watching tv (besides MLP) anymore.  It's just too depressing to see where it's gone.  I only have an Ipod to listen to music with.  That's a real problem and no one seems to be looking at real problems they are too caught up with what Selena Gomez posted on Twitter or what Lady Gaga wears to things.  They worry about things that don't matter.  I listen to music while I work on stuff, because it helps me focus, but then again I'm not glued to a screen all the time while doing something.  I do think it's a problem that is impossible to solve because people have been brought up like that.

I see what you mean on "THE WAR ON ATTENTION" I do have a smart phone but I use it for music when I work out or as an alarm. I mostly either at drill preparing for drill, working out, spending time with my family, or watching/  on forms for MLP FiM.  I also study for school but that's about it.,

post-18343-0-17368400-1374892418.jpg

If it's being unproductive is what being a problem to you, then you can easily solve with by sucking it up and finish whatever it is that has been entrusted to you before doing anything. When everything is finished and neatly stacked, it's mucking around time.

Not having a smooth internet connection also helps ._.