Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Redeeming Qualities Of Generations 3.5 & Prior?

Denim&Venöm

I highly doubt that if FiM didn't exist, that we'd give as much flack as we do to G1-3.5. We'd just dismiss those incarnations of the MLP franchise as just little girls shows or TV for toddlers. But now these past incarnations are under scrutiny when being compared to the divinity incarnate that is FiM.

So Bronies, let's all take a step back and look at the broader pictures. Are there any positive qualities about the past generations? Anything you liked, anything at all?

My only experience w/ proto-MLP is from buying two G3 tapes at a garage sale for $0.50 last year, A charming birthday and Dancing in the clouds. And after watching them, I kind of liked them. Took me back to a simpler time, just having fun with the program, not anticipating whats going to happen next or looking deep into the context of the show. Just going along for the ride. Kind of gave me that little kid feeling of anything being possible. But being more specific, the animation was good, I liked the music score and the voice acting was decent. I walked away feeling like my intelligence wasn't insulted. Nothing awe-strikingly amazing, but nothing really to rag on either.

What do you guys think? Anything good about the prior generations?

Edited by Denim&Venom

Generation One is the one that comes easiest to mind. For it's time, there (much like FiM) wasn't a whole lot out there like it, and it marketed towards both genders (indeed, there are male fans of Generation One - who probably don't like us very much). Of course it's incredibly dated now if you go back and look at it, but for it's time it reads like one of the more edgier shows.

Yes, I just called G1 MLP "edgy". You can slap me with the half-brick in a sock now X3

• 7 years later...
On 8/12/2013 at 3:50 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

Are there any positive qualities about the past generations?

Absolutely. As a fan of My Little Pony Tales (I watched it as a kid), and having a lot of G1 ponies in my collection, as well as having the official work documents for the G1 movies, there is a lot of quality and money put into My Little Pony. The problem is that when Bronies came along, they needed to distance themselves from the rest of the world and make themselves more interesting. They decided that only their precious show and their beliefs should be considered special, and everything before was not.

I watched some of G3, but I mostly just did it ironically. I think it's fun to make fun of the show a bit via commentary. So overall, I don't think of the show as something I actually hold in high regards. I just think it can be entertaining to watch it and make fun of it in the process.

That being said, it's not the worst thing I've seen. Two episodes that stuck out to me the most were "Dancing in the Clouds" and "Friends are Never Far Away". These were the episodes that introduced pegasi into gen 3. I also remember having fun watching "A very Minty Christmas" ironically. So I guess a redeeming quality could be that it can be entertaining if you are not watching it seriously. 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Toastypk said:

G3 has good voice actresses, a number of them are the same ones from Friendship is Magic.

“A number of them”? Dude, I think three at most didn’t work on FIM :D

• 7 months later...