Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Choice of Light and Dark

Sylentmana

Light or Dark? Read the description first.  

46 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you choose?

• Power of healing and life.
    • The power of destruction and death.
    • Neither

(edited)

I choose the power of destruction and death. I would bring humanity to an end. Humans are evil monsters who must face judgement. This could give me the opportune time to end the lives of all those I've hated and who wronged me, and that's quite a lot of people now. The price I have to pay is definitely worth it.

You would still have to continue living until time itself ended. Seems like a lonely existence. You could probably use your insane firepower to propel yourself through space seeking new lifeforms to destroy. You would become the stuff of legends throughout the universe. Aliens would speak of you in hushed tones and parents would use you to frighten their children into obedience.

I hearby dub thee The Wandering Calamity! :P

Edited by Sylentmana
  • Brohoof 3

Seems like a lonely existence.

My existence is already lonely, so no real loss there. I would need to rid of the people that speak my name. I don't want a single organism knowing of my existence.

I would choose light: the extraordinary magical healing abilities. I cannot imagine the pain of having your eyes removed, but it would be infinitely worth it if I could heal anyone, regardless of how grievous their disease was. Such power would lead me down the right path, whereas having the power to take away life instantly would only lead to self-destruction at some point or another.

Can I choose darkness then threaten to kill the light being if it doesn't give me light powers also? If not I choose darkness

I would choose darkness. It would allow me to be immortal and be able to bring the world to a peaceful start, decimating all those who would bring war. I would bring plague to those who would rebel. And keep happiness to those who live good lives.

The best way to achieve peace

peace_through_power_by_exevalon-d5z59il.

He/She says that they are the Avatar of Life. He/She can grant you extraordinary magical healing abilities. With just a touch you can heal any wound no matter how grievous and even bring someone back from the brink of death but not death itself. You can cure any disease from cancer all the way down to seasonal allergies.

All right, cool. 

However, this power comes at a price.

Alright, name your price.

Your healing powers will never work on yourself and you will have to give up your eyes.

Not being able to heal myself is kind of a bummer but I can work with that. Giving up my sight is sort of workable, I guess.

Not just your sight, but your eyes themselves will be taken from you and it will hurt.

Aw dammit 

You have a third choice. You can refuse both offers and suffer no consequences. The being will leave you to your life, but another random person in the world will be given the same offers you were given.

Well now it looks like I have to choose the healing power since I wouldn't want the power to kill everyone to fall in to wrong hands (or any hands for that matter). But that's what my logical mind is telling me; I definitely don't want to have my eyes ripped out and I'm not sure I'm so willing to sacrifice myself to possibly save the world if it came down to it.

• Brohoof 1

I would choose neither. If given the powers of destruction and death, I would surely become chaorrupted and use them for selfish, or evil, deeds. I also don't think that I would be able to handle killing all that I touch.

As for gaining the powers of healing... I wouldn't have a problem with losing my eyes. The real issue would be the expectations that others have of me. What happens if I'm not there to help someone? The people would blame me for the misfortune that has befallen them. I'd also be given the choice of whether or not I should save people. I mean, what if there's a person dying before me who has killed thousands of innocent people, and his family is standing there watching me. What would I do? If I save he, he'll probably just go back to killing people. If I kill him, I'll be called "evil" and I would become hated, and that's something that I'd like to avoid.

Basically, the powers, whichever path I choose, would become a burden for the rest of my life. I wouldn't choose either of the two. Instead, I'd rather continue what I'm doing right now. Who knows? Maybe I'm going to be a hero someday. Perhaps not in the way that I expect, but it could happen. I mean, there has to be a reason that I'm alive, right?

That's quite the postulate you have there.

Nobody would choose the 3rd choice, as we don't want to trust others, or have the destruction of humanity on our hands.

The first choice would probably get you killed

The second choice is probably the best, but you'd need to be strong willed, I'd probably just fly into space and look for other intelligent life, >implying humanity is intelligent.

Yep, I'm too paranoid for 3 and 1, so I pick 2, and I guess I'm just gonna keep being a physicist that way... I'd probably fly into a black hole one day, because why not.

• 1 month later...

Neither. The ability to heal would come at a cost, the duty to use it for the greatest benefit. Alas, this leaves the question of how this can be achieved. How do you decide who to heal? Do you go to them, do they come to you? How do you ensure this benefit reaches as many people as possible. The ability to kill with ease is worthless, and should not exist. Is it worth watching the fall of humanity? Is it worth causing the fall of humanity? Could you live with yourself knowing everything you touch is condemned to death?

Both of these questions come with one fundamental catch, you become an being of justice. Can you handle the ability to control life and death (for one who controls either controls both)? How do you decide who lives and dies? I don't think any human can handle that ability. I know I could not handle responsibility, and while I don't trust any human with either, I would be content to refuse and let someone else suffer the duty.

I guess I would choose Light. The consequence isn't as bad as the one for choosing Dark, and I don't know if I'd be okay with someone else potentially choosing Dark and destroying the world or something. I'd feel obligated to choose Light.

I'd take life. It's kind of obvious, plus, if it causes a healing factor, it would be simple to just give yourself back your eyes. So basically, you have no consequences. Creative thinking for the win!

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2013-08-22 at 8:11 PM, Sylentmana said:

I present to you a hypothetical choice simply for the fun of it.

You are minding your own business one day at home. Suddenly, there appears before you, two beings of dressed in robes and wearing featurless masks. One is dressed in all white surrounded by a golden halo of bright light and the other is in all black surrounded by a shifting pulsating pitch black shadow.

They give you a moment to stop soiling yourself and regain your composure. The being in white is the first to speak in a voice that sounds like both a man and woman speaking at the same time with the jingling of small bells.

He/She says that they are the Avatar of Life. He/She can grant you extraordinary magical healing abilities. With just a touch you can heal any wound no matter how grievous and even bring someone back from the brink of death but not death itself. You can cure any disease from cancer all the way down to seasonal allergies. However, this power comes at a price. Your healing powers will never work on yourself and you will have to give up your eyes. Not just your sight, but your eyes themselves will be taken from you and it will hurt.  You are given a moment to consider the pros and cons of this arrangement.

Next, the being in black speaks to you in a gender neutral voice that has a hollowness and chill to it. He/She says they are the Avatar of Death. He/She can grant you extraordinary powers of death and destruction. With a wave of your hands you can send out a miasma of death that will kill any living thing caught within, be they plant, animal, or person. With a word you can tear open the sky and rain fire and brimstone down on entire cites. With this power you could protect everyone you love from the evil of others or even rule the world for good or evil. Lastly, the touch of death will never reach you until the end of time itself. The price, however, is that you will still continue to age until you are little more than a walking corpse held together by failing sinew and magic. You will also still feel pain. Also, any living thing that you touch will whither and die before you even if the touch came through clothing. The ground beneith your feet would die, never again to support life. You again take a moment to consider the possibilities and restrictions of this proposal.

You have a third choice. You can refuse both offers and suffer no consequences. The being will leave you to your life, but another random person in the world will be given the same offers you were given.

What do you choose? Why did you make that choice? What will you do with your powers if you accepted one of the deals?

You know, there would be more going on. You're not giving such choice/power just like that. There would be a price tag attached to it, and considering these powers it would be really high. Let me quote you here a very famous anime:

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost"

In the real world, nothing is ever free. So my choice would go for neither. Besides people cannot handle power, especially those ones.