DND

Are the Opinions Fair Overall?  

16 users have voted

1. 1. Are the Opinions Fair Overall?

• Fair, and I agree
    • Fair, and I don't agree
    • Not fair, but I somewhat agree
    • Not fair, I don't agree

I know that we all perceive non-tolerators to MLP as ignorant people who simply hate us because we love a girly show. But since my older brother is not a pony lover, and yes, he's seen the show, it just led me to divulge a little bit between opinions about the show for the fans and not-fans. Here's some interesting points to why my brother doesn't fond over the show, and the fans. Believe me, he's pretty reasonable about this. That's why I wanted to see other's opinions about this too.

Now here's his opinions in bold quotes, and my responses and opinions in the spoilers.

"It's everywhere. It's in places it shouldn't be."

This is pretty true. Although I don't mind ponies being everywhere, It's why it has such a huge fan-base, but I really argue with this one. I can understand why the haters and anti-bronies are getting impatient It's because ponies is truly a hard thing to avoid now.

"It's full of simple lessons. Things everyone should already know. Its all its directing towards. That's why it was meant for little girls."

Well, I kind of agree too. Everything lesson-related is pretty much everything I already knew from common sense. Even though this doesn't bother me or disengage me from the show like my brother, its fair enough that he doesn't like it because simply this is all the show really is meant for.

"There's nothing that engaging about it. I love cartoons too. I watch Adventure Time and Regular Show because it has interesting senses of humor and references."

No, he didn't appreciate the humor about it, but this is not really true. It doesn't have to take lots of random themes and adult references to make a show's style of dialogue and overall themes enjoyable. There's nothing unruly for particular age audiences to watch or appreciate something out of aimed-age.

Now, did you think he was fair overall? Not fair? Let's hear it from you.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 2

Your brother seems reasonable enough. It just sounds like MLP isn't his thing.

He is not fond of the cute humor that MLP has but enjoys the cynicism of Adventure Time better. I like AT too but not as much as MLP, and for different reasons.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think he is being fair to the show but, sometimes members of the fandom advertise the show in places where it shouldn't be. It's like going to a concert with people who aren't fans of the show, and you just sing the songs from the show. It's basically, showing ponies but to a place that doesn't have them. After all, they are opinions.

• Brohoof 1

Counter-point 1: No, it's not really unavoidable, and a person's pride in something he enjoys isn't something that should be stifled. If seeing a cartoon horse sprayed on a wall in TF2 ruins your day, you obviously have bigger things to worry about.

Counter-point 2: If these lessons are stuff everyone whould know by now, we'd see more examples of those lessons being exhibited in the world than we do. Why don't we? The truth is that a lot of the messages protrayed in the show are lost even among many adults, and even among bronies.

Counter-point 3: Subjective, really, but if there really was absolutely nothing engaging about the show on any level, it wouldn't have a fandom. There wouldn't be people genuinely enjoying the show.

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
Sniping at groups within the site.
  • Brohoof 4

No references? Really? Because I see references all over the place in this show, even in places where I have no idea if it was intentional or not (Rarity's bad outfits from Art of The Dress looking like something Lady Gaga would wear, etc.)

Fair enough he doesn't like the show though. I don't see the harm of people having it as avatars and discussing it all over the place though, Anime fans do the same thing and I don't see people complaining about that, so that part really do strike me as a "eww girly things" piece of immaturity.

• Brohoof 2

Your brother has some fair opinions, but I'd argue his points.  There are things that have been more viral than ponies on the internet.  I'd very easily argue that people have a selective memory about these types of things.  1 brony or 1 furry seems to cause a ton of outrage when they're out of place.  And I would also say that some simple lessons are the hardest to really teach.  Of course these are meant for children, but really a moral reminder is never a bad thing.  That'd be like complaining about it's presence in content like Disney movies and saying they're less quality for it.

I'd argue the first argument does show some sort of bias, there's other shows that are everywhere to(Game of Thrones) but no one complains about that because it's "normal". As one person pointed out, he could post Doctor Who memes and jokes all day and hardly anyone would complain, but the minute he posts pony everyone throws a fit.

I can't argue the other two, because those are subjective opinions related to weather he personally enjoyed it or not, which is fine. We all like different things. 

Although I disagree I can at least respect and understand 2&3, #1 is bullshit. Yes it is everywhere but MLP is not the first thing to be "everywhere" and it won't be the last yet it is one of the few things that I heard people get do upset over it being "everywhere". I seriously feel like slapping people that make that argument alot of times, I just find it hard to take those people seriously because it is a ridiculous complaint over nothing that I don't give a shit about.

Although I disagree I can at least respect and understand 2&3, #1 is bullshit. Yes it is everywhere but MLP is not the first thing to be "everywhere" and it won't be the last yet it is one of the few things that I heard people get do upset over it being "everywhere". I seriously feel like slapping people that make that argument alot of times, I just find it hard to take those people seriously because it is a ridiculous complaint over nothing that I don't give a shit about.

Hm... well, I guess I can't argue with that either because we all know that Homestuck and Naruto are pretty viral too. Probably not from my experience, but its true that the others have been getting such a large fanbase easily because it has spontaneous, advertizing fans.

Oh gee, ponies are everywhere.

You know what else is everywhere? Game of Thrones, Adventure Time, etc...

Nobody seems to complain about those.

As for the common sense, it is definitely things everybody probably knows, but for some reason, it seems really rare in this day and age that anybody puts common sense into practice.

And to address the final point.

MLP actually has a lot of pop-culture and adult-humor that would fly right over the heads of it's younger fans.

Oh gee, ponies are everywhere.   You know what else is everywhere? Game of Thrones, Adventure Time, etc...   Nobody seems to complain about those.  

Yeah I agree. It is everywhere! However, unlike Adventure Time and other popular shows; MLP seems to have a more active fanbase. Therefore you see more pony related content in some places. 

"It's full of simple lessons. Things everyone should already know. Its all its directing towards. That's why it was meant for little girls."

I kind of don't understand this point. I mean most shows often copy the same lesson over and over......I just realized we're in a cliche cartoon world......

"There's nothing that engaging about it. I love cartoons too. I watch Adventure Time and Regular Show because it has interesting senses of humor and references.

I don't think Humor is really MLP's strong point. Adventure Time and Regular Show etc.are better at it because they are less restricted than MLP is and better at contriving adult jokes in their episodes. Also MLP was made more for story while the other shows are kind of made just for the humor. 

First Response: I don't really know about anywhere else, but here in Indiana, I don't see ponies or Bronies anywhere. I have never, in person, met another Brony, I don't know anyone who has ever mentioned the show let alone watched it here. But that's just from my perspective, it could be different in other places.

Second Response: We a distilled with the the knowledge of right and wrong growing up by observing the world around us even if we are not taught it, so that point is mute, the show doesn't teach these morals, it just re-enforces them, and that is something the world could use now a days... Seriously.

Third Response: The Humor and references of the show are subtle but apparent to those of classic taste. I agree with Incognitokiwoy, the show doesn't need that modern random somewhat obscene humor for a show to be original and great! call me old school but I find the classic cartoon gags they through in the show hilarious just for throwing them in there! I guess you just have to be older to appreciate something like that.

Hmm...not to get too controversial, but the best thing I can compare this to (in order to sympathize with it) is religious people who are always talking about their beliefs...But still, I think ponies are more acceptable. With religious people, a lot of them I've met have an aura of "I'm right, you're wrong", which I feel the need to then reciprocate. Most pony fan things are born because the creators have an interest in ponies and some other thing, so it's just a form of self-expression and nothing to feel threatened by.

Disclaimer: I've met religious people who aren't pushy about their beliefs, and I respect their opinions accordingly. There are also people who spread ponies just to troll flamers, and think everyone needs to love ponies, with an "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality; these people I do not respect.

Many people forget about morals as they grow up, and a lot of the lessons can actually apply best to adults. For example, in "It's About Time", Twilight worries about the future to the point of disregarding the present, even though worrying won't actually do much. Being worried about the future is a trait that all of us share, and it's a leading cause of stress that, for the most part, is pointless. It's a very practical lesson.

There's also the lesson for Feeling Pinkie Keen, as personally explained by Lauren:

I can't speak for others who worked on this episode, but from my perspective...there are simply phenomenons that are difficult to explain. And I'm of the opinion that "faith" can apply to more things than just religion. For instance: are we alone in the universe or is there life on some other planet somewhere? We don't have convincing evidence that aliens exist, but it takes "faith" to say that's it's not possible at all. I've heard some pretty heated debates from smart people regarding certain cases of cryptozoology. In the end, if there is an idea we explore that leads us to inconclusive answers, we are left with a choice: believe it anyway, reject it, or wait for more answers.

It's somewhat depressing, but there have been more than a few instances in which I seriously wanted people to watch certain episodes because what they were trying to argue about was so obviously flawed that it was explained as such in a cartoon made for little girls. And as @DusK says, while a lot of the lessons are simple things people should already know, many don't actually follow through with it.

http://youtu.be/yFq4xtp0iZM

"There's nothing that engaging about it. I love cartoons too. I watch Adventure Time and Regular Show because it has interesting senses of humor and references."

I don't like either of those because they aren't very engaging. ._. I like MLP because it has great humor and stories I can really connect with, not to mention very good messages and an overall positive, happy feel. It's really just personal taste.

Overall though, as many here have stated, his opinions aren't that bad and are acceptable. Still, I feel that MLP is a series that often needs reading into before you can realize just how deep it is. Similarly, I need to force myself to get around to keep watching Adventure Time because I have faith that it's as good as people say it is.

Rainbow_Dash_Shocked_By_Storyline_S2E16.

Edited by Blique
  • Brohoof 1