Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

I have two reasons to dislike alicorn OCs:

1. They've basically been overdone to death. Alicorns were meant to be a special race that only a few special ponies could actually be. There are so many alicorn OCs they're not special anymore and they've even come to the point of being annoying.

2. Most of them are way too OP. "Oh he/she has the most powerful magic in the world, he/she can fly faster than Rainbow Dash without even trying, he/she can teleport between different universes." Sure there are a lot of unicorns/pegasus OCs like that, but most of the time the ones like that are alicorns.

I'm not saying all alicorn OCs are like that, but the majority of them are and that's why I'm getting really sick of them...

img-2523742-6-ezimba11272886329200.jpg

"Live and die by the blade." - Talon, The Blade's Shadow (League Of Legends)

Temporary signature by DokiLoki (I hope I spelled that right)

Ok, I don't think anyone mentioned this already, but as far as alicorn OCs being the long-lost relatives of the high princesses goes, that doesn't really make sense. As far as we know, alicorns are not born, they are made. Nopony is born being the physical embodiment of a certain type of magic, that status must be earned! 

I mean, look at Prince Blueblood. Relative of the royal sisters, but not an alicorn, because he doesn't deserve to be and because it's not a genetic thing!

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy - Eloquence - Chamomile - Ginseng - Lovestruck

Ok, I don't think anyone mentioned this already, but as far as alicorn OCs being the long-lost relatives of the high princesses goes, that doesn't really make sense. As far as we know, alicorns are not born, they are made. Nopony is born being the physical embodiment of a certain type of magic, that status must be earned! 

I mean, look at Prince Blueblood. Relative of the royal sisters, but not an alicorn, because he doesn't deserve to be and because it's not a genetic thing!

^ This.

This.

THIS.

I hate it when they say that the alicorn OC is some sort of distant cousin whoever-knows-how-many times removed or any of that bullcrap. That just... doesn't make sense. (Also, it personally makes even less sense when they say that the OC in question is the child of, say, Celestia and Discord. Like, why. It's just... so much no. I don't know how that would even happen, or why.) And it links back to what I said in my post about alicorns being born. Alicorns simply can't be born, at least as far as canon is concerned. Alicorns are made, only when they are deserving of it!

• Brohoof 1

I love how alicorn OC's are hated, despised and spat out every single time one is entered. I love how every single new roleplayer who doesn't know what to do, how to do it properly and doesn't know that Roleplaying is TEAMPLAYING, and not having your own character do epic and amazing things. I love how every stupid thing about alicorns is increased ridiculously in size, and how the hate has grown to blazing passion that burns in every proper role-players heart.

You know why, do you understand what makes me happy about this?

It's because it makes GOOD alicorn OC's something so rare, and so special, that you will have to actually put so much effort, heart, experience and descriptive writing ability into it that you will DESERVE to have an alicorn OC. Your OC page has to be so inviting, including your ability to present, write and visualize your OC that someone surpasses their firey hatred for these kind of OC's and actually reads your story. You need to pour in so much time and emotion into a project that will literally become your MANGUM OPUS…

You need to be exceptional to deserve to use an alicorn OC in every roleplay you try get it into. Lighting Bliss has apparently achieved this, and I know there are several other good roleplayers out there (including me) that will be able to create a proper, good and awesome OC. One that is balanced within the game, allows fun and creativity to flow in the environment, to make sure that every single other roleplayer that is NOT an alicorn feel happy that they have someone in their group like this.

It is your Magnum Opus of OC's , your Ph.D of roleplay projects, your freaking letter of recommendation from the president of the united states! IT'S YOU! The entire thing the OC will represent is your creative ability, and your roleplaying experience. It is all that lead up to what made you create an character, a personality, a STORY that was grand enough to allow you to use an alicorn oc.

Just like an alicorn needs to deserve it to be one, a roleplayer needs to DESERVE to roleplay an alicorn. As an experienced roleplayer, I am tempted to create an alicorn OC eventually, but I mean to wait. To gather even more inspiration from all the other great roleplayers, to get more experience and descriptive writing ability. When I eventually do make an alicorn OC. It will be glorious…

But it has to be my best OC yet, and I don't know if I am up to writing my Magnum Opus yet…

• Brohoof 1

How would you walk, how would you talk if you thought: "Three percent of the population likes classical music, if only we could get it up to four percent we'd be back in business and all our problems would be over." How would you walk, how would you talk if you thought: "Everybody loves classical music! They just haven't found out about it yet!" It's an entirely different world. It's what you make of it that counts.

I found an easy way to find out if you've inspired someone. If their eyes are shining, you know you're doing it!

^ This.

This.

THIS.

I hate it when they say that the alicorn OC is some sort of distant cousin whoever-knows-how-many times removed or any of that bullcrap. That just... doesn't make sense. (Also, it personally makes even less sense when they say that the OC in question is the child of, say, Celestia and Discord. Like, why. It's just... so much no. I don't know how that would even happen, or why.) And it links back to what I said in my post about alicorns being born. Alicorns simply can't be born, at least as far as canon is concerned. Alicorns are made, only when they are deserving of it!

As far as we know, alicorns are made. But what about Celestia and Luna? Their parents? We must stop and ask ourselves how these majestic creatures were made. I honestly think that alicorns can be born OR made. It probably goes both ways. Notice how the alicorns that are made age and the ones like Celestia and/or Luna don't. That's what gets me. We don't know. I need to have a brief conversation with Megan Mccarthy.

"Pay attention to these petals, Steven. The petals' dance seems improvised, but it is being calculated in real time based on the physical properties of this planet. With hard work and dedication, you can master the magical properties of your gem and perform your own dance!"

What do you think of me?:

http://kevan.org/johari?name=bird+mom

I reserve my judgement on an Alicorn OC until I see how the maker pulled it off. It can be done well... But to be honest, I'm rarely impressed with OCs in general, they typically aren't that well thought out or interesting.

This is mostly how I feel about this subject...

There may be some awesome alicorn OCs out there, but not as far as I'm concerned. But hey, I'm just one guy, with an earth pony OC, soooo no hard feelings? :squee:

Pretty much what i was going to say, i dont like Alicorn OCs because, lets say Equestria Was real, with the main character and background ponies and such, but with our ocs too. we think of Alicorns as royalty, the show depicts any princess as an alicorn, so a black and red alicorn called Shadow Blitz doesn't seem like a good prince/princess.

• Brohoof 1

9TUYsbM.png

http://dascottishbrony.deviantart.com/ My DeviantArt Page.

Why Only Tuesdays, I'm Not even in this fandom, i've just been sent here to spy on all of you. You guys are defenseless without your tin-foil hats!

Pretty much what i was going to say, i dont like Alicorn OCs because, lets say Equestria Was real, with the main character and background ponies and such, but with our ocs too. we think of Alicorns as royalty, the show depicts any princess as an alicorn, so a black and red alicorn called Shadow Blitz doesn't seem like a good prince/princess.

I think an alicorn oc should be made one or at least happy-looking! But you're right, they think of alicorns as the most powerful beings.

• Brohoof 1

"Pay attention to these petals, Steven. The petals' dance seems improvised, but it is being calculated in real time based on the physical properties of this planet. With hard work and dedication, you can master the magical properties of your gem and perform your own dance!"

What do you think of me?:

http://kevan.org/johari?name=bird+mom

@@Scribblegroove,

You know, I... I never thought about it like that! And it seems so different when you look at it that way...

Maybe someday, I'll also be able to create my Magnum Opus...

Don't do i until you are absolutely sure that you can do it! Twilight didn't turn into an alicorn before celestia was sure that she could take it too...

Wow, I am dramatizing this thing a little too much... BUT WHO CARES! Drama is fun :3

How would you walk, how would you talk if you thought: "Three percent of the population likes classical music, if only we could get it up to four percent we'd be back in business and all our problems would be over." How would you walk, how would you talk if you thought: "Everybody loves classical music! They just haven't found out about it yet!" It's an entirely different world. It's what you make of it that counts.

I found an easy way to find out if you've inspired someone. If their eyes are shining, you know you're doing it!

I don't understand the hate on Alicorn OCs either... isn't it logical enough that some ponies are born with wings and a horn? Personally, I don't like the lack of variety of such amazing creatures, I find it no surprise that someone got bored and created their own. I seriously have no problem with them, just because a pony has wings and a horn doesn't mean they can move the sun and envelope planets in darkness. Of course godmoding happens and that is generally frowned upon anyways, but there is seriously nothing wrong with a little versatility.

I myself prefer a uniquely colored busty anthro Alicorn.  ;)

Oh, I'm just going to say sorry on this forum for my suggested alicorn oc daughter of twilight.

She is called Alaska. Not much detail, but I hope to extend on it. The back story was: Twilight and Flash got Sparkly, the result...'So, sorry.

The rest is confidential.

http://mlpforums.com/uploads/post_images/img-2388396-1-dBxdGcW.png

Credit to lunia! (he is awesome at signatures!)

It's been done to death back then and now.

They're considered OP for anyone.

They have cliched back stories like being related to celestia.

And have over exaggerated looks.

Pretty much solves your answer there,

• Brohoof 1

Alicorn oc are just too powerful, it's like giving your oc the powers of God.

Also most of them are Mary Sues, and have some backstory making them have something to do with royalty.

Also a lot of them either have no reason are a bad reason for being an alicorn, yet it's impossible to become an alicorn unless you are a princess and earn your alicorn powers.

also 99.9% of alicorn oc's are overpowered and have some sort of magic or strength that's extremely destructive or whatever.

Lastly, 99.8% (random number) of alicorn OCs have a stupid dark past... I don't get it...

Alicorn oc are just too powerful, it's like giving your oc the powers of God.

Also most of them are Mary Sues, and have some backstory making them have something to do with royalty.

Also a lot of them either have no reason are a bad reason for being an alicorn, yet it's impossible to become an alicorn unless you are a princess and earn your alicorn powers.

also 99.9% of alicorn oc's are overpowered and have some sort of magic or strength that's extremely destructive or whatever.

Lastly, 99.8% (random number) of alicorn OCs have a stupid dark past... I don't get it...

I have a few things to say about this, mainly because you pulled those statistics from nowhere and that's a pet peeve of mine.

Firstly, not all OP characters are Alicorns, and not all alicorns are OP. Give me any power, and I guarantee that I'll find some way to horribly break it. It's more of an issue with the writer wanting a power fantasy than Alicorns being OP.

Secondly, a vast majority of OCs of all kinds have an annoyingly dark past. Again, it's the writer's poor attempt to make their character seem deep and sympathetic without putting any real effort into writing actual depth or sympathy.

Firstly, not all OP characters are Alicorns, and not all alicorns are OP. Give me any power, and I guarantee that I'll find some way to horribly break it.

The first point here is true - not all OP characters are Alicorns.

The second point is false, as evidenced by your third point. Every Alicorn we know in canon is the living embodiment of their 'thing': the sun, the moon, love and magic.

No matter what power you give them, if they have ascended to levels where they have become a living symbol of what they stand for, they are broken. You could have a character who's power is making delicious toast - but if they have ascended to becoming the living aspect of delicious toast (with or without jam), then they are broken.

I don't want to RP with the toast god, who makes a piece of toast so good that everyone falls to their knees and worships them instead of roleplaying about... whatever the roleplay is about.

• Brohoof 1

Never quite forgotten.

To be honest, I don't really care. Its an OC, i'm not gonna get bent out of shape just because someone wants it to be an alicorn.

If they like their character, good for them! if you don't like it, well then just avoid it. Plain and simple.

banner_by_captivelegacy-d8d1rtm.png

Well, its an oc, so anythings really valid. But people tend to dislike alicorn oc's because 1. If they do rp, its probably op. and 2. It just messes with the perceived norm that most people view a their headcannon. The same reason that most fans dont like weird striped oc's that have markings not in the show, vampire oc's (even though theyre IN the show), and especially oc's with relationships with the mane 6. If I make an all neon alicorn oc with bat wings zebra stripes, and scars AND make him have a relationship with Applejack, thats just too far from the show. Most fans (myself included) just cant picture it blending well and dismiss it as a bad oc. Of coarse this is just my opinion, and I dont even do rp, so I could be entirely wrong.

• Brohoof 1

qd7uXXV.png

I have a few things to say about this, mainly because you pulled those statistics from nowhere and that's a pet peeve of mine.

Firstly, not all OP characters are Alicorns, and not all alicorns are OP. Give me any power, and I guarantee that I'll find some way to horribly break it. It's more of an issue with the writer wanting a power fantasy than Alicorns being OP.

Secondly, a vast majority of OCs of all kinds have an annoyingly dark past. Again, it's the writer's poor attempt to make their character seem deep and sympathetic without putting any real effort into writing actual depth or sympathy.

FYI, I made up the statistics to exaggerate.

Also, I never said ALL alicorns are OP, but a majority of them are. People have the CHOICE to make them somewhat like a normal pony, but too many of them give their OCs seemigly unlimited power, or make them like Celestias "long lost relative" and all that generic junk,

I do admit that I have seen a few good alicorn OCs but only few, all others that I've seen where just poor attempts at making a flashy, princess OC.

And the dark past thing does apply to any other oc, alicorn or not, so yea that was stupid.

• 1 month later...

Well, they apear to be mary sue-ish, It's kind of like you could not decide between a Unicorn an Earth pony and a pegasus. Also some of them/ alot of them are alicorns for no reason.

I was just thinking how many alicorn OCs there are out there, and It's really starting to bug me. It's not just alicorns, but over the top hybrids, overused of rainbows/colors. I, personally, think that if you have proper reason for them to be an alicorn, then good for you. You did a good job. Hybrids/ RainbowBarf, on the other hand, not so much. For example, If you had an alicorn that legitimately is part of the/a royal family, then it's fine. I've seen people even bash on a legitimate alicorn oc, saying it was "OP". I've even made a few alicorns; I think they are fine. Part of a royal family, have a kingdom etc., etc.. I came here to se other ponies opinions on the subject. Whaddya think?

I even have examples of Good and bad alicorn OCs.

Bad (Left)   Prinsis bubl Bitz she iz bestiez wth prinsis luna n selestya hr jab iz tu steel ponyz kyuty mrkz

Good (Right) Queen Tidella   She is ruler of the Seafoam Isles and ruler of the ocean. One her friends is Luna because she helps her control the tides at night.

post-26715-0-34382400-1399667746.png

post-26715-0-25266400-1399667758_thumb.png

Ellise Aet rill; amlos riik.
And yes, that means something.

http://i.imgur.com/UiNYerA.png

And remember, the internet is always right.

In my opinion there are three types of Alicorn OCs. The bad kind...
1.png
Name... Dark Demon King Ravenblood Nightblade
... Seriously? The hell bro... you're trying too hard. Too hard to be a badass too hard to be awesome too hard to be strong. Dark past BS but too strong for his own good, whines about dark past all the time but beats enemies in one blow. Alicorn but no reason as to why... son to Nightmare Moon with OC who loved her and had sex with her before she was banished. Went to live with Celestia out of whim and Celestia accepted him. Or wanted to beat Discord or King Sombra or Tirek or whoever and almost succeeded bla bla bla. Also... despite not having sex even one time he is so good at his first times that he leaves mares with countless orgasms. Yea i know this might get ewwwwwwww kinds of levels of babbling but you have to admit that this blows... HARD.

On the other hand there are the alicorns that i like to tittle "Okay but why is he an alicorn again?"
my-little-pony-fim-fan-characters_139708
This kind of OCs. Good story and stuff but alicorns... why? How did this happen? I mean they got simple stories, not rulers or anything, not overpowered much, the creator just wants magic and stuff... and flying too. They can't decide whether to choose between one or the other. The only reasonable result out of this is that they are pegacorns... like... accidentally born alicorns but excelling either in flying or magic. Still though it's not easy to make such kind of OCs work... fine by me i won't hate you but it just is confusing for YOU.

Then there's the awesome kind.
ponivania__alecto_by_jessicaelwood-d4eix
http://jessicaelwood.deviantart.com/art/Ponivania-Alecto-266262235
They are mostly fanfic alicorns with not so ridiculously OP powers but usually leaders and capable ones. They have flaws, strengths, weaknesses, character, they are not godmoddy, they are not bullies or anything like that. They have a good color combination, they are artistically beautiful without having to be intricate to do that. They do not try to be badass and they handle their power carefully. They are not always immortal, they are great to be around. 

I generally don't hate alicorn OCs... but i just don't see the current point of having one.

• Brohoof 4

I have no problem with alicorn OC's. And I don't really see why people have such a problem with them. I think that there is a special appeal to the alicorn type of pony because its like the best of both worlds. I don't think that people should hate on those who make alicorn OC's because it is limits the creativity of others. If other people want to make alicorns, go right ahead. If you personally don't like it when others use them as RP characters then you dont have to participate in RP's that involve them. 

Just my opinion' 

post-8308-0-79770000-1395439789.png

Rock, you are a rock. Gray, you are gray. Like a rock, which you are. Rock.