Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looks VS Brains (Poll)

Sugar Pea

110 users have voted

1. 1. What matters most to you?

• Looks
    • Brains

I think brains can be achieved, but beauty is something you are born with. That being said, I also value brains. I can't stand airheads, and I prefer to be around smarter people.

Not entirely true. Looks can be lost and gained just as easily as brains.

I tend to think in terms of capabilities/attitudes, rather than looks/brains. It's just how I'm wired. I don't care if you look good, or are particularly smart, as long as you are able to do what needs to be done, and you're not a nit about it.

Sure you have good looks but I bet you can't properly make a verbal sentence.

And what is there to complain about that? I would honestlu rather have the compliments of my looks and maybe even "pleasure" (if ya get me ;p) rather than a conversation.

I choose brains, it has gotten me far and hopefully farther.

Looks do matter to me, but I've never really cared too much about my looks.

When it comes to others, I have low standards. Looks don't matter to me at all, neither does the person's brain. All I care about is that the person is nice, I can be around mean people but they bring out the worst in me.. My worst is something I prefer hidden.

I think that maybe because I'm not really used to people being kind to me, so each time someone shows me kindness I value that a lot. So I don't care about brains or looks, I care about kindness. If that kindness is shown by someone who others would consider unattractive and/or stupid I can assure you that person would still be the perfect one in my eyes.

I agree with you on this one.

When I voted for brains, I kind of meant it in the sense that you do. I couldn't care less if someone was an A star student or a lawyer, In fact I find basing a relationship on that kind of thing calculating and creepy. I wouldn't even define it as attraction or love at all. When I voted for brains I meant someone who's smart in an emotional sense. Smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong. Smart enough to know when I'm down. Smart enough to have a decent conversation with. Smart enough to see deeper than skin level and to connect with emotionally. Smart enough to love me no matter what social group I belong to. Those kind of things.

Yes, that might not be smartness in the normal sense. But I'd say it's more closely connected to brains than looks are.

Edited by Spess
  • Brohoof 2

When it comes to myself, I'd rather be smarter than look nice. Sure, it's good to have a nice appearance, but I'd rather be a smarter guy than be a better-looking guy still remaining as stupid as I am.

When it comes to dating, I want with someone in the middle. But I can't choose that, so I'd rather have someone smarter. I know plenty of not-so-smart but good-looking people at my school, and smart people who don't look the best at my school, and if I had to date someone from that group, I would date the smarter one by a landslide.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer looks. Why?

It's not only that I don't like women with brain, I AM the brains. I just think I'd be happy with a no-so-smart girl with a beautiful face rather than a smart girl without one. Don't get me wrong though. I would still hit on smart ladies too (just as long as they're beautiful)

Plus, if I ever get into an arguement with a smart girl, chances are I would lose (I'm smart, but not that smart :V)

This is just so incredibly sexist and disgusting, in my opinion.

So, you'd rather have a trophy wife/girlfriend who is an airhead so you can provide the brains of the relationship without feeling threatened by intelligence? xJpg51C.png

• Brohoof 1

This is just so incredibly sexist and disgusting, in my opinion.

So, you'd rather have a trophy wife/girlfriend who is an airhead so you can provide the brains of the relationship without feeling threatened by intelligence? img-2019092-1-xJpg51C.png

Well I think of it more of the win-win situation, aka mutual relationships, as our specialties would benefit each other. I look at her beauty, I'm happy. I help her decisions, she's (hopfully) happy. :comeatus:

I don't much care for looks,but I will admit it's impossible to say that you go for some one based souly on brains. When you talk to someone that you are wanting to date it is because of the sexually lust to a degree.But once you talk to that person and nothing about their personally click with your's.It's time to look else where for a quote on quote soulmate. Brains wins out,but looks do play there part.

So, If you had the option to turn heads or break heads, which would you prefer?

smile.png

Be honest.

Personally, I choose brains. Let's not kid ourselves, all of us are conceited one way or another, so let's not play Miss Goody-Two-Shoes. 

Anyways, I would choose to have brains over looks, and i'm not just saying that to make myself look good. I'm saying this because I feel that grades are a little more important to me than looks most of the time, and with me being a chick, yes I definitely do care about my looks as well. 

Having brains gets you somewhere in life, ya know. I'm not downing anyone who chooses looks, no judgement here. Just personal opinion.

As written, this poll is asking which one we would prefer to have, not which trait is most dominant in our ideal mate.

What's ironic is how many people read it as the other way around...and answered brains. wink.png

• Brohoof 1

I would prefer to have brains over appearance. Honestly, I have no purpose for looks beyond my regular appearance. I'm searching for a very specific type of person, but I'm not going to get into that now. Brains though, now that would be much more applicable in terms of job performance and general usefulness.

And as Professor Layton says, "Critical thinking is the key to success." :P

• Brohoof 1

They're both valid options, depending on what it is you want out of life. I think if you want to do something like science or engineering that requires a sharp mind, then brains will take you further. However, we're a visual species and good-looking people get perks. Overall, I think the most important factor in success is persistence and EQ.

I would take brains and have a good time being a brilliant engineer among like minds.

I feel that grades are a little more important to me than looks most of the time, and with me being a chick, yes I definitely do care about my looks as well. 

Having brains gets you somewhere in life, ya know. I'm not downing anyone who chooses looks, no judgement here. Just personal opinion.

Grades don't always equate with intelligence. Grades are just arbitrary letters that authority figures in educational institutions use to label their students. They have no real meaning. Grades show how well you conform to their grotesque and insipid definition of intelligence, when the fact of the matter is that intelligence is a very intricate and subjective concept that is far too complex to be adequately measured by their bullshit grading scale.

Also, while I agree that brains can get you far in life, I must point out that looks can get one far in life as well. Maybe not in the same ways as brains will get you, but they can get you far in life nonetheless. You won't be going to the same places that brains will take you, but you will still be moving up in life.

I prefer looks. Why?

It's not only that I don't like women with brain, I AM the brains. I just think I'd be happy with a no-so-smart girl with a beautiful face rather than a smart girl without one. Don't get me wrong though. I would still hit on smart ladies too (just as long as they're beautiful)Plus, if I ever get into an arguement with a smart girl, chances are I would lose (I'm smart, but not that smart :V)

So you don't want to be with a woman, you want to be with a puppet that you can throw around and do whatever you want with. Why not just buy a doll than? You have 100 percent control, you can have her look however you want, she will do whatever you want, and you won't have to waste your smart brain on mundane matters such as memorizing birthdays and anniversaries. I'm sure people will be as equally impressed, especially if you spend extra money on one of those fancy, realistic ones.

Anyways, I don't like this poll, as it forces you into this false dichotomy that implicates that looks and brains are the only attributes to consider when searching for a potential mate. When this isn't true. I do look for intelligence in people, as well as looks, but there's so much more to a person than how they look and think. I care about their likes, dislikes, quirks, personality, and more. I don't care about minute details such as looks and intelligence, I care about the bigger picture, and how the person is as a whole.

So because of this, I cannot pick which trait I value more, as I don't judge people based off of some rigid standards I have formulated in my mind, but how the person is as a whole. Having loose standards keeps your options open, and allows you to be free to explore numerous possibilities. You never know what might be over the horizon waiting for you.

Why not just buy a doll than? You have 100 percent control, you can have her look however you want, she will do whatever you want, and you won't have to waste your smart brain on mundane matters such as memorizing birthdays and anniversaries. I'm sure people will be as equally impressed, especially if you spend extra money on one of those fancy, realistic ones.

Because doll is not a living thing and I don't care for control of a woman? Really, I care for the happiness of whoever I love, but I admit that I want to be happy too.

Anyways, I don't like this poll, as it forces you into this false dichotomy that implicates that looks and brains are the only attributes to consider when searching for a potential mate. When this isn't true. I do look for intelligence in people, as well as looks, but there's so much more to a person than how they look and think. I care about their likes, dislikes, quirks, personality, and more. I don't care about minute details such as looks and intelligence, I care about the bigger picture, and how the person is as a whole.

So because of this, I cannot pick which trait I value more, as I don't judge people based off of some rigid standards I have formulated in my mind, but how the person is as a whole. Having loose standards keeps your options open, and allows you to be free to explore numerous possibilities. You never know what might be over the horizon waiting for you.

I can see your point, and I agree that you need to choose more than just looks and/or beauty to find your lover. However, this poll is just between two qualities, not all of them. And you have a choice to choose either of what you would prefer, not what you want.

• Brohoof 1

I'll take brains. Honestly, I think my smarts have gotten me much further than my looks (I guess I must be pretty ugly then) and I sure could use more smarts right about now. That, and I don't like the idea of getting by on looks, it seems kind of low.

Edited by Mutemutt

Both have their place, I think choosing one is a false dichotomy. It's a fact that a first impression is made within 7 seconds of meeting a person, and a good chunk of those 7 seconds will be before either party even opens their mouths. So looks are important. At the same time brains are what keeps those people attracted to each other in the long term. In other words, human nature = come for the looks, stay for the brains.

Luckily I have both, but if I had to pick just one it is going to be brains. Looks can be altered to a certain extent, if you are overweight you can lose weight or if you are shrimpy you can do some resistance/weight training to beef up but though ignorance can also be fixed willful ignorance/stupidity is a lot harder in some cases impossible to fix. So I leave you with an amusing pic to further make my point.

675.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I'd prefer both, though I have to be attracted to one's personality before I even begin to consider their physical attractiveness.  If someone were to be intelligent/intriguing but I don't find them to be physically attractive, I may not pursue a relationship with them and might just keep it as a friendship instead.  So yeah, both looks and personality is something of importance to me.  As odd or shallow as that may sound...

Brains all the way. Unlike most jerks, looks don't matter to me. I could care less about looks. People who are good looking aren't always the brightest, as evident from most teen relationships, but that is another topic entirely. When it comes down to it, I prefer someone who has smarts over someone who just looks good.

• Brohoof 2