Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you feel about the Tree of Harmony?

FNGRpony

What I'm actually not sure about is why so many people are upset or discomforted whenever a completely new element is introduced into the story. I keep asking myself if it really is such a bad thing to know precisely where the elements of harmony came from, especially when throughout the entire series up until now, people have often been rather upset with the fact that the elements appear to be something that simply exist and that Celestia is goddess. The episode shed much light on the truth of the matter and I greatly appreciate it, at least.

• Brohoof 1

I love the Tree of Harmony, it gives a whole mythological feeling to the serie by reminding me if Yggdrasil (the world tree of norse mythology).

It also gives some answers to a few questions I had while raising even more questions.

Like are the main six a sort of "reincarnation" of the elements' power or were able to wield them only because they have the right traits?

Is Twilight going to be a much powerful princess than Luna and Celestia? (Being her cutie mark the main symbol of the tree?)

These kind of questions are just out of curiosity thought, I don't really expect the serie to have such serious plot.

• Brohoof 1

I love the Tree of Harmony too and I'm eager to find out what the writers have planned!  As people have noted, we know very little about it at this stage except that perhaps it provides some origin to the Elements of Harmony themselves.  I'm particularly curious about the chest with the six locks that was revealed: I can't help thinking the six locks are connected with the six elements and the six ponies - but how? 

I've not really been able to stop thinking about it since that first premiere last week and have just completed a bit of tunage that was inspired by it:

I'm really excited with the overall turn Season 4 has taken: delving into the ancient past of Equestria and filling in some more back story for historical events.  I'm looking forward to finding out more about the tree as the season unfolds!

I love the Tree of Harmony concept, it did come out of nowhere but it provided information on the origins of the Elements of Harmony. The chest with the six locks could also bring up questions on what is inside and where the six keys are located. Season 4 is starting off on a good start with diving into Equestria's past.

I love the Tree of Harmony concept, it did come out of nowhere but it provided information on the origins of the Elements of Harmony. The chest with the six locks could also bring up questions on what is inside and where the six keys are located. Season 4 is starting off on a good start with diving into Equestria's past.

I'm not sure it came out of nowhere to be honest. If you look at the stand that held the Elements it looked like a highly stylized tree.

If the writers can sustain the arc than I think the chest could give the show new life.

I'm not sure it came out of nowhere to be honest. If you look at the stand that held the Elements it looked like a highly stylized tree.

If the writers can sustain the arc than I think the chest could give the show new life.

Okay, I'll rephrase that. The writers added it at the last minute, provided a flashback to explain, and showed where the Elements of Harmony originated.

On one hand, I saw this coming from a few hundred miles away, but on the other hand, I can safely say that it was a fairly well implemented story piece. I'm genuinely curious to see what is contained within the chest, and how they'll bring about the stories of finding the six keys.

(I'm calling it right now: 4 will be found individually, and 2 will be found together in one episode. )

Now to see if my theory holds true...:)

Okay, I'll rephrase that. The writers added it at the last minute, provided a flashback to explain, and showed where the Elements of Harmony originated.

You didn't have to rephrase. :) I think the writers knew that the EOH had taken the show as far as it could and they felt that giving them back was the best thing to do. A story is built like a house and it's often best not to second guess the foundation or rafters or the whole story comes down. :)

Edited by Nature's Spell

You didn't have to rephrase. :) I think the writers knew that the EOH had taken the show as far as it could and they felt that giving them back was the best thing to do. A story is built like a house and it's often best not to second guess the foundation or rafters. :)

Thanks, I'll agree with that. :) I'll never second guess what the writers do, most of the time.

Tree of Harmony.

I think we should freak out, start a new forum, and bring out the haters for a season. By episode 26, we should all profess love for this storyline. This is the new Twilicorn! I demand pitchforks and torches!

That said: I loved it. I love the storyline this promises. I'm just missing the overreactions.

I'm fine with the Tree of Harmony. It explains a simple way how the elements were found. It's also nice to know that Celestia, Luna or even ponies from the past had nothing to do with how they were made.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I like the Tree of Harmony. It ads a whole bunch of potential to the show without introducing a new character. I think the show has reached it's maximum capacity for recurring characters. The Tree is also a solid magical object. The elements themselves feel like weapons and nothing more. The tree feels like it could do so much more with its magic.

I think the Tree of Harmony is a brilliant tool for the show to use. It shows a specific origin of the Elements of Harmony and moreover, shows that their powers are rooted in nature, at least to Equestria, not some exclusive pony artifact. In fact I would go as far as to say that anyone with the proper traits can utilize the Elements of Harmony, including nonponies like Spike.

Based upon the symbols of a sun and a moon on the Tree of Harmony also, corresponding to Celestia and Luna's cutie marks, I would theorize that their powers were derived from the tree. I am still skeptical about the idea of unicorns raising the sun and the moon and think it may be derived from the Tree of Harmony as well. To grant that much power to a single race, especially in a world where there are many sentient sapient races without proper cause is dubious at best, unless somehow Celestia and Luna's powers pertain only to the local area of Equestria. Having the Tree of Harmony and borrowing its powers nicely helps explain this to some extent.

It also though makes Celestia and Luna seem more mortal and less like some distant removed goddesses that we are just supposed to seemingly trust. Their powers may just as much be borrowed from the Tree of Harmony as the Mane 6's are.

Now I am going to be very cynical regarding Equestria.

Unfortunately the problems of the Equestrians, namely the supposedly "superior" pony race could be traced as far back to their "founding" of Equestria as seen in Hearth's Warming Eve. They allowed their own class and racial tensions to divide them, and even after the 3 tribe unification, I think a lot of that attitude persisted. Also their xenophobia and implied racism towards the other races like the buffalo combined with this internal strife may have been what led Discord to come to Equestria and rule over it. 

Mind you there was no unifying and centralizing figure like Celestia or Luna yet to "lead" the Equestrians through their benevolence. In fact Equestria probably help bring the threat of Discord upon themselves, which was why the Elements of Harmony had to used to begin with. Celestia and Luna in turn also took the powers to raise the sun and the moon from the Tree for the benefit of their own people. 

Of course the Elements of Harmony were probably not meant to be removed from the Tree, let alone overused the way that they were over the centuries. Face it. The ponies and Equestrians, deliberately or not, took the Tree of Harmony for granted, forgot about its existence, and abused the powers it had by never returning what they "borrowed."

Ironically by trying to restore and maintain harmony in Equestria, the ponies more than likely in the grand scheme were chipping away at the harmony that the Tree of Harmony gave as protection to all for their own selfish means. If Discord had not exploited this crucial weakness in leaving the Tree of Harmony powerless and thus Equestria vulnerable via his plant invasion, its very likely a true villain or disaster was waiting to devastate Equestria, the Tree of Harmony completely useless to protect its inhabitants anymore, much like Ygdrassil gave life in Tales of Phantasia.