Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who does not call themselves a "brony"?

Mywas

Personally I wouldn't mind people calling me a brony, but I myself don't call myself a brony, just a MLP/FIM fan or a "bronkey." Yes I get that a lot of you are loud and proud and want to spread the word, but a lot of us aren't ready or simply don't want to be as vocal about the show, for more reasons than just the potential stigma.

I don't really approve of the term that much, since it implies an overwhelmingly majority male fandom, which the media likes to focus on while ignoring the female adult fans. I also don't like it too much since it arose from 4chan, a notorious site for X rated content, hackers and internet memes and trends that I often not too fond or interested in and it associates MLP fans sometimes w/ the more questionable material like clops and jokes like Trollestia which some people dislike.

Also I don't mind that the term every/some/no/any pony is used in these fandom communities, but outside of a MLP or joke context, if I hear you blurt that out loud, I may be inclined to punch you. Fair warning.

This guy right here, he pretty much says exactly what I feel in a nutshell. Now, to expand upon it.

It's time for: Arylett's rant about how the word "brony" should not be applied to females.

Basically, I would very much NOT like to be called a brony and do not refer to myself as such because I think it's a stupid word (I really hate that word. It just makes me think of an idiot rather than someone who likes My Little Pony) and it's a ridiculous term to refer to a female as. You know, BROny? The entire reason the word was created is to refer to male fans outside of the demographic who like this MLP thing.

I understand the context now is basically just a member of the MLP fandom/community (or perhaps to some, just a general MLP fan), that that's what it means now and that is its most common definition regardless of gender... but if I don't want to call myself something or be called it, then I don't have to. There's some people who are into anthropomorphic animals who would rather not be referred to as "furry," because they don't like the name or don't want the stigma associated with it. It's like that.

There's just so much contention about what the word means to many different people that I just go the neutral route: You're only a brony if you consider yourself one, that's basically it. If someone doesn't want you calling them a brony, respect their wishes. If someone does, then respect their wishes too. Just respect everyone's wishes, and everyone will be happy. :3

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 1

I don't have a problem with the term "brony," but I don't really consider myself one either.

It's a lot like how I like Star Trek, but don't really refer to myself as a Trekkie. I feel that "brony" and "pegasister" are perfectly fine labels, but probably refer to fans that are more intensely involved in the fandom than I am. For me, I'm just "a fan of MLP," which - while a bit wordier - better describes my place in the fandom.

I do not like to use the term for myself, I feel the loud and unsavory elements of the fandom have tainted it since its conception way back in 2010 on /co/.

Pegasister is a completely pointless term though, I gotta say that, no reason to divide the fandom by gender.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

I think I never call myself a brony. It might be because I am into a lot of magical girl anime and I don't focus on ponies much (For instance, only two Christmas gifts this year were related to ponies, and 50% of them were either anime things or Disney Infinity stuff.) even though I go to Equestria Daily everyday and watch the show. Another reason I don't call myself a brony is because I am a girl.

Edited by NagisaBebeDemon

um ok.....well I don't think being a ''brony'' or calling myself one makes me a lower life form. But if some people don't wan to call themselves one they don't have to. But don't ever think that a brony is less than that of someone who isn't. Were all human beings after all. (unfortunately >_>)

Edited by Nightmare Night
  • Brohoof 1

Sorry to bump this topic up, but this just has to be said:

The number of members here saying that girls not wanting to be called Bronies is "stupid" and "making it a gender issue" really bothers me.

What do you mean we're making it a gender issue? By default, it is going to be made one when you make a title that is obviously masculine and try to apply it to all girls who watch the show without their consent.

Now imagine if things had been flipped around (this scenario is not very believable, but the point is very valid so bear with me) and instead the love for the show had been started by adult women who decided to call themselves "Pegasis/ters".

If men had found interest in the show, I'm certain they wouldn't have joined in and called themselves that. They might have made a new term that was more masculine (like Brony) for themselves, or just decided not to go under a term. And guess what? They wouldn't ever be ridiculed for it (note: just in case it isn't obvious, I'm referring to in regards to the refusal of the usage of "Pegasis/ter", not watching the show itself). They'd never be told that they're making it an issue of gender by refusing to go under the "Pegasis/ter" title. Because it is inherintely feminine. Just like "Brony" is inherently masculine.

Funny how that works... Funny how when is feminine, men don't have to fit under the term, in fact they would probably avoid it like the plague. Yet when the term is masculine we're told to accept it as universal (aka "neutral"). Sorry, but no, I refuse to accept that concept. I will not call myself a "Brony" and I should never have to be told I am one.

• Brohoof 2

I am a brony, but damn this fanbase has a mixed reputation. When somebody asks me if I am a brony, I'm sure to reply with ''what do you mean?'' because depending on their definition, I can say yes or no.

Fan of the show? Yes, I am a brony

One of those people who obsess over it and dress up as them and roleplay as them and....? No that isn't me.

Someone who masturbates to the show? Nope, not me either.

Different people think of different things when it comes to bronies. I want to make sure what they're thinking before I give them an impression of who I am.

Not that there's anything wrong with the things bronies do, its just not what I do. There are different types of bronies in the fandom but some outsiders don't get that. So I am sure to represent myself as accurately as possible.

So I guess it depends who's asking whether I am a ''brony'' or not, but if I ask myself then I will say yes.

• Brohoof 2

I like the show but I will never call myself a brony. Because I have too much Pride for such name. My level is above it.

THE BUCK YOU SAY?! THE BUCK YOU SAY?!?!

My definition of Brony, because there is too much confusion. A person who is a fan of the My Little Pony franchise but is out of the target demographic, girls 6-11. People say they are grown men, but there are also teen bronies. Then some girls prefer to be called bronies.

• Brohoof 1

While I am a fan of the show, I don't really considermyself to be a Brony. I wouldn't mind if someone addressed themselves as such in public, but that's them an I'm me!

Also, I don't have any of the merchandise, but that'll more than likely change later on in 2014! ;)

I only call myself a brony/pegasister (idc which, i don't have a preference, really) when I'm surrounded by other bronies. Other people outside the fandom might not know what a brony really means, so I just call myself a "fan" to simplify it. 

• Brohoof 1