Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who does not call themselves a "brony"?

Mywas

I used to consider myself one... but... not really anymore... I just like the show... and the art is interesting, but that's about it.

unless naming computers after ponies is considered a "brony" thing... if it is... back to my Vegetable naming convention.

I'm not at all a fan of the term due to the confusion it elicits in both the fandom, the non-fandom, the "Brony" in question and the potential listener. I find it likened to what some call tribalism. As it stands, the current consensus from those who ascribe to the term "Brony" are those who play along the lines that by watching and or being a fan of the show automatically includes you as a Brony. As an aside, I believe the actual group of Bronies are those who choose to be so, as I also believe one can be a fan of Friendship is Magic and not be a Brony at all. After all, we don't call people who watch Foster's "Imaginary Friends", fans of Dexter's Lab "Lab Assistants" or fans of Samurai Jack "Ronin". As if one cannot not be a Brony if they watch the show. Automatic inclusion against the consent of the supposed Brony in question.

So this leads me to believe "Brony" is a term used by a tribal group engaging in a zero-sum game, perhaps to justify their enjoyment of a faux-controversial series or perhaps simply to stave off loneliness. You're either us or you're them. 

And I don't like it at all. I just want to watch ponies ponying pone.

• Brohoof 1

I don't call myself a Brony,not being really that associated with the fandom,but my main reason is that I believe that the name Brony has been permantely associated with too many bad things and do not wish to be grouped with those who carry it.Oh,and I sort of find the name stupid.

I do not call myself a "Brony" for two reasons... well, three, perhaps:

1. I find it to be a very masculine title, no matter how much so many want to deny it. If other female fans of the show want to call themselves that, it's their choice. However, I don't want to be called "bro" anything.

2. I just don't consider myself that big of a fan. I enjoy the show, and do look forward to watching it each week. However, my entire life does not surround around the show.

And then there's the third...

3. There are parts of the fandom that I do not wish to ever associate myself with.

• Brohoof 3

@

I completely agree. In addition, I've noticed we do have a tendency as any fandom does to take things a little too far, so I can understand how some people could become slightly disenchanted with the term Brony. Granted, we are also one of the few fandoms I can think of with an actual title. The other being Dr. Who fans which is a Whovian, and I've only heard them being called that on rare occasions.

Besides Otakus, Beleivers, One Directioners, Supernaturals, Sherlocks, trekkies, Jedi's, etc?

Besides Otakus, Beleivers, One Directioners, Supernaturals, Sherlocks, trekkies, Jedi's, etc?

Yes, but unlike many Bronies you don't hear them come up to people while they're introducing themselves spouting that they're a Trekkie or Otaku. As a fandom, which I greatly enjoy mind you, we have a sort of pretentiousness associated with the title. Many of the Bronies, I've met seem to not understand that there should be some social context before labelling yourself something like that.

P.S. from that list I've only heard of Otaku's and Trekkies 

You can call or not call yourself whatever you wish, but personally, you are all Bronies in my eye. All of you. Every single one of the people who responded to this thread, everyone on this site, every single fan of this amazing show we love. Even if you deny it, especially if you deny it, you're still a Brony. By definition and by heart.

This is what the term Brony means to me: a Fan of My Little Pony Friendship is magic.

Thats it. Not a male fan, not an adult male fan. No. Just a fan. Brony encompasses all genders and races. The way it should. We aren't a community based on dividing ourselves. We are community based on uniting ourselves and bringing ourselves together so we can freak out about a show with colorful equines. 

Now I understand why people do not call themselves this. I can see where they are coming from. (Except because of gender. That's just stupid, hypocritical and I don't feel like turning this into a rant). Some people don't like labels. Others don't wish to be bullied. Others just don't like the term. Others have too much 'pride'. But frankly, why should any of that matter. Hm? I call myself a Brony because I am proud to be one. Proud to be apart of this amazing creative fandom. To be a part a community with all you crazy wonderful people. Proud. Why should it matter if its just some silly name or label, or if you are in the closet. I'd rather call myself a Brony then not, mainly cuz this community is too awesome. And that's a much better reason to call yourself one than whatever petty reasons you say not to

Besides, in my eyes it's the truth ain't it? Why deny the truth?

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1

You can call or not call yourself whatever you wish, but personally, you are all Bronies in my eye. All of you. Every single one of the people who responded to this thread, everyone on this site, every single fan of this amazing show we love. Even if you deny it, especially if you deny it, you're still a Brony. By definition and by heart.

This is what the term Brony means to me: a Fan of My Little Pony Friendship is magic.

Thats it. Not a male fan, not an adult male fan. No. Just a fan. Brony encompasses all genders and races. The way it should. We aren't a community based on dividing ourselves. We are community based on uniting ourselves and bringing ourselves together so we can freak out about a show with colorful equines. 

Now I understand why people do not call themselves this. I can see where they are coming from. (Except because of gender. That's just stupid, hypocritical and I don't feel like turning this into a rant). Some people don't like labels. Others don't wish to be bullied. Others just don't like the term. Others have too much 'pride'. But frankly, why should any of that matter. Hm? I call myself a Brony because I am proud to be one. Proud to be apart of this amazing creative fandom. To be a part a community with all you crazy wonderful people. Proud. Why should it matter if its just some silly name or label, or if you are in the closet. I'd rather call myself a Brony then not, mainly cuz this community is too awesome. And that's a much better reason to call yourself one than whatever petty reasons you say not to

Besides, in my eyes it's the truth ain't it? Why deny the truth?

This. This entire thing. Right here.

That right there is the purest example of the zero-sum tribalism I made mention of in a previous post that completely ruins the perception of both the fans of the series in general, and fans who don't wish to be lumped in for whatever reasons (if any) they desire. This train of thought refuses to let us enjoy the colorful ponies in peace. You refuse to let us be us because to you it's Us versus Them and your side cannot win unless we're Bronies as well.

If it were a question of pride, I'd say you're completely pretentious to simply up and assume we're part of your group just because that's what you want. If it were a question of pride, then I'd say it's completely justified in being proud enough to not let others make decisions for them.

Edit: Minor grammar changes. 
Edited by Shino

Well really all the word "brony" means is just a guy that is into my little pony, rather said person would prefer to be called a brony is up to him entirely, me as I have said in many other topic don't go around calling myself a brony because I am in the closet about it, that and I am pretty sure that 99.99 percent of evryone around here has no clue what a brony even is!

I say there are three parties that do not consider themselves to be bronies, which include the haters, the guys on the border, and some pegasisters. Haters, I assume would not be called bronies for obvious reasons, but for guys on the border, I say it depends. If they are on the border because they aren't sure about the show yet, then sure, call them bronies, but if they are on the border because they are afraid of judgement, then hold back a bit. Some pegasisters (at least the ones I know) want to be called ONLY pegasisters, but some of the pegasisters I know do not want to be called bronies because they think it is a bit demeaning, or they have been disconnected from the fandom for a period of time, which really applies to anyone. 

As the Thread Starter guy said, im a fan.. but i will NEVER call myself a brony, they get enough hate to last them for a long time.. so to avoid the hate.. i dont call myself a brony, just a fan.. people usually dont mind it :P

If you watch MLP and enjoy the show, you are a brony by definition. I understand not going around calling yourself a brony, but to deny being one when asked is a contradiction if you enjoy the show.

• Brohoof 3

I"m hearing "it's come to mean something bad" or "I don't want to be associated with certain parts of the fandom" a awful lot here.

Did any of you stop and think that attitude may be part of the problem? It's like Bronycurious said on his Tumblr. By refusing to associate with the fandom you make the impression of it worse because that's one less positive voice in it. The way to change things is to wear the title proudly while breaking the stereotypes and participating in the things that make us look good, like the charities and positive, intelligent discussion we tend to have here on the forums.

This attitude is essentially giving up and surrendering the fandom to the assholes.

After all, would the religious among you hide your faith because of the horrible things done in the name of gods? Would the atheists here refuse that title because of people like The Amazing Atheist? No, you let that flag fly high while proving the image people have of your group wrong. I know that's over-dramatic as hell, but it's the same principal.   

I'll say it again, it's a completely neutral term, it just means anyone outside the target audience(little girls) who likes the show. It's doesn't imply obsession, it doesn't have arbitrary requirements, and in the eyes of the people that hate the fans and show it doesn't mean any different than saying your a fan. They're going to look down of you either way. They may in fact look down on you even more for making such excuses to weasel your way out of their sights with the "but I'm not a BRONY like these dirtbags" argument.      

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

"Brony" is a self label. I don't identify myself as a brony. In my opinion, giving yourself a special name for watching a cartoon is immensely stupid. 

Better than "Trekkie". At least "brony" has the use of differentiating FiM fans from fans of the earlier awful stuff. Trekkies are all just Star Trek fans, no distinction needed. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I don't know that I've ever said that I'm a brony outside these forums. Nothing to do with shame or anything. It just doesn't come up. And even in the rare instance MLP does come up, I'm uncertain whether the person to whom I'm speaking would even know what a "brony" is. If I happened to meet a brony, I'd probably call myself a brony as well, but as for people who are not part of the fandom, why bother? They're most likely not interested beyond the fact that you like it and having to explain seems tedious to me.

• Brohoof 1

I would not by any label at all in any fandom I happen to like

and I just do not tie down myself to one show like some might

do (not saying all brons do).   A lot of us have other fandoms we like

and personal I just love the show for being what it is and have found

the MLP fandom to be one more of the warmer and welcoming in

a while in truth which I love to say!

I don't really see the point in avoiding the term. Yes, I'm not a huge fan of how it sounds and I understand how there are people who want to distance themselves from the fandom for whatever reasons. There are many aspects of it that I greatly loathe. But to me it's just a slang term for someone who likes the show or some of the culture that has sprouted up around it online. I don't view it as having any negative connotations and I view fans who have some deep-seated defensiveness around the word as only subscribing to the ideas of others, that bronies are people who insistently sexualize the show, shove it and pony content in everyone's face, base their entire lives around it, etc. That isn't true at all, and in some cases the attitudes of fans who seem to use the term that way can come off as condescending.

I personally don't go out of my way to call myself a brony, but if someone walks up to me and asks plainly "Are you a brony?", I'll say yes. It's true after all.