Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on people who proudly label themselves as cynical?

AEDAZ

Furthermore, do you consider yourself cynical? Why or why not?

Not. I am an idealist to the bone. I've been all around the world and everywhere I've been, people have given me no reason to assume the worst of them and have in fact rewarded me for when I assumed the best.

• Brohoof 9

I don't mind those who label themselves cynical, That's their business and not mine, after all. personally, I like to think of myself as more an optimist and/or an idealist, and less of a cynical type.

• Brohoof 1

I've had a more cynical worldview than most on this site, having dealt with today's rampant corruption and bureaucratic nonsense and having been around people who grew up in the inner city and had to deal with much worse. However, I still have a lot of hope for the future. Being cynical to the extent of outright pessimism is unhealthy as it motivates a distant and uncaring attitude towards people and disregards the good that people are capable of.

If anyone "proudly" parades their cynicism around, I have no idea because I've never actually seen it, but I really have to question if the person has a sense of unwarranted self-importance or not. How else can you possibly be proud of thinking that the world, life, and everyone else sucks? Are they really putting themselves above others for that?

It's good to have a balanced kind of worldview because it puts things in perspective. The good in being a little cynical is that it makes you appreciate the good things even more while accepting that there are a lot of things in the world that need to be fixed. It also gives you a sense of realism in knowing what makes our flaws and what we can and cannot change.

Being a bit more cynical than most, I've naturally been at odds with some of the messages MLP puts out, and I've long criticized popular culture's extremely idealized interpretations of individualism, once calling "follow your dreams" the most insignificant and disillusional phrase there is. I've criticized the ideals of American society for promoting this to such an extreme that people have become more self-centered and thought less of their duty to society. This idealism makes us blind to real problems like economic disparity and how it helps and hinders different people's chances for economic well-being.

In the end, however, all I want is the best for society, myself, the community, and the human species by pointing out where we are unwilling to fix problems we've created and only we can fix. This isn't some kind of ego kick. I call it as I see it, and I still have hope that it can possibly turn out good.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I can have some mistrust in human nature, I've lost a lot of hope in humanity in the past few years because of MANY, many reasons. I cannot believe I still have any faith in humanity at all after all I've seen. However... I'm always naive and hoping for the best, never wanting to think that anyone's evil or selfish, that everyone's got something deep inside of them that means no harm. I always try to understand other people and why they act or do bad things. I try very hard understanding others, and the truth is, I cannot always understand them. But I want them to know that I'm not judging them for their doings and I'm always trying to have some in-sight on why they do what they do and that they surely have a reason for it. All people need someone to care and listen, even the bad ones. 

I don't really know what I should call myself, but I'm mostly just... Being.

And to answer the title question; My thoughts are that people probably have a reason to be cynical, like I'm sure a idealist has their reason to be an idealist. So I accept their opinions and thoughts, if they let me express mine as well without any hard feelings.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

I think we're too cool for you. 

img-2571298-1-deal_with_it____twilight_s

Yeah, I'm incredibly cynical. I'm proud of it. I like the sense of wit I have that comes with my cynicism. I'm like this:

And I think that's hilarious. I don't know if it's sad, though, that my cynicism is one of the things I like most about myself. Then again, I enjoy being cynical, so should it be sad? I dunno. Well, I'm not sad about it, so I guess it's not sad.

• Brohoof 2

Me and my ex (who I affectionately call, he's like a best friend to me now) call ourselves cynical all of the time, well, because we are. And I have to speak for both myself and him here, we both are proud to announce we are. There's nothing wrong about it, as long as if you aren't hurting anyone, and why hide something that you are? So, yeah, I obviously have no problem with people who proudly declare themselves as cynical! ^w^

I don't know about proud. Well, I don't know what there is to be proud about. Prejudice perhaps.

I've never respected the argument "you're too negative." It tells me that people would rather lie to themselves and adopt a very filtered world view just so that they could remain in their contrived bliss. So many people would rather live in ignorance - in a reality that is contrived rather than one experienced fully - rather than to accept that things are pretty screwed up and I find that pretty selfish because it's an obscenely self-centered way of looking at life.

Things are screwed up but people don't want to acknowledge it and would thus rather just ignore it just as long as their little bubble remains intact. All people seem to care about is their sense of self-importance and would rather avoid topics that can really place them under scrutiny. Why else do people flock to such trite debates like religion? It's because deep inside they know that people must ultimately respect their beliefs. People prefer to debate what's right and wrong because debating what's correct and incorrect is just way too scary for their precious little bubble of bliss and self-importance.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying to hope. Hearing myself talk just now makes me wonder if we truly deserve any better. I know that means I'll go down with the rest but so fucking be it.

----------

Sigh, I really do sympathize with the cynical and I do that because I want to do it. I don't enjoy being cynical but I will never choose to lie to myself in order to get out of it -- I would sooner have myself die. When I see someone under this dark cloud, deep inside I would give the person a hug and tell them "I get it, and I know how you feel because I feel it too."

• Brohoof 1

If anyone "proudly" parades their cynicism around, I have no idea because I've never actually seen it, but I really have to question if the person has a sense of unwarranted self-importance or not. How else can you possibly be proud of thinking that the world, life, and everyone else sucks? Are they really putting themselves above others for that?

To clarify this, let me make the point that if you in any way value yourself and others who subscribe to cynicism in some way over opposing viewpoints, you are pretty much contributing to the problem. It's our duty to be the best we can be, and if you're just going to say "life sucks" and only commend others who think that way without doing a thing to fix it or thinking it's beyond being fixed, then you're part of the problem. Just do your best in life anyway and don't look for solace in such a shallow indulgence.

It's an absolute miracle that we continue to live, even if there are a lot of people in this world being repressed, lazy, or otherwise held back from their potential by their own devices or those imposed by others. I'm neither cynical nor idealistic. I'm realistic. That's something worth being proud of.

Not sure, I think many call themselves cynical to justify their douchaggery. I do consider myself cynic, had far too many awful experiences and I realized no bright future awaits me where I live, that's why I'm studying hard to emmigrate to another country  :D . I'm a little less than halfway to graduate, but I'm willing to get it done 

I'm neither cynical nor idealistic. I'm realistic. That's something worth being proud of.

But everyone assumes that their way of thinking is realism. It's the only reason people think the way they do. No one wants to subscribe to something they don't think is true.

it depends on the people and also the situation, i've been treated like crap by some people while others have treated me kindly but that's how the world works, i'm not going to hate all people just because some are buttheads 

This is one of those things where someone who has multiple virtual people inside can win.  If you can go at things from both the viewpoint of the cynic, the optimist, and the balanced, then you can plan for the worst, while not missing the opportunities presented by the best. 

(edited)

i think that they have a proper view of the world instead of those wearing those kind of annoying "everything is positive" shades. i feel the same with depressed individuals. cynicism and sadness seem so right and real to me. happiness just feels fake every time i feel or witness it. just my 2 worthless cents.

very ironic considering my little pony makes me actually feel happy.

Edited by kanashimi purinsesu

(edited)

I see them as rather annoying since they're always negative. I want to see the bright side of things, too.

Edited by Gernia
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Honestly, I wouldn't want to hang around someone that's really negative; that cynicism will rubs off over time. They say association brings about assimilation; and its true. Overly cynical people can really suck the joy out of you especially when you're in a good mood. It kinda of like looking up at the sky and seeing fluffy clouds; while they other person can only see impending rain. I, personally, like to keep a glass-half-full mentality.

Edited by RainbowJaxs16

I am realistic. It's good to see life as it is and to not call everything out there as bad. Yes, the times are bad no question, but i don't need to be reminded about it everyday. I also want to enjoy the nice things in life that i have. If i sit in my home for the rest of my life, being all bitter about life, i gain absolutely nothing from it then.

• Brohoof 1

I find people who are actual cynics to be obnoxious. I'm not talking about the people who say they're "cynics" and don't act like them at all, but actual people who are cynical. They try to act all deep and philosophical but what they're actually doing is disguising cynicism and nonchalance as depth, while they're just plain and engage in bland and boring narcissism. They're boring people who think by being pessimistic and "realistic" they're more mature and grown-up, more deep, more complex. Whatever they say and no matter how many people they'll fool besides themselves. I know they aren't that at all. They're just people who sucked out everything that makes them unique, become superficial slates and ruin everyone's mood, including other pessimists.

I'm a realist but also an optimist. I get tired of negativity, sarcasm and cynicism. For all I care, they can cry about the chance of drowning in their half-empty glass while I'll be seizing the day no matter how bad it gets. I'll do it with a smile, I'll do it with a jump of joy. I don't need any party pooper, doom thinker or crybaby who love to suck out the joy of others and make others feel miserable for no reason besides being an extreme pessimist in my life. Be a man and fix your shit, be a man and start doing stuff instead of crying about it on Steam or Skype. Just do something and stop bringing others down.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I try to see both sides, so I can't say I am totally cynical, or a total optimist, but I try to make the world a more enjoyable place for others. Honestly I think both extreme optimism or pessimism is a bit too rough, but that's just my opinion.

As for others, I don't really mind other people being cynical, they can think what they want to think, though I personally think that these negative thoughts aren't really that beneficial to their wellbeing, and that I would rather be with someone who spreads positive energy. But those who actively try to force others into cynicism by actively harming and hurting others are the ones I have issues with.

In the end, I am not sure if I can convince others to love the world and try to contribute to make it a more enjoyable place instead of ranting and hating while doing nothing to change it, or worse, doing things to worsen the situation, but I know I could make my own judgments, choose my own words, and take my own actions. That is why I chose awareness.

Edited by Solid Scorpion

• 7 years later...

It doesn't matter to me what someone else labels themself, just as long as they don't harm anyone or try to force their beliefs on others.

Also, I wouldn't consider myself cynical because I think that humans are capable of selfless actions.