Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who does not call themselves a "brony"?

Mywas

EDIT:

Not a good comparison, as "brony" has always been the gender-neutral title

Except it isn't, the term has always been used to describe the more vocal male fanbase both inside and outside the fandom, the fact that the term "Pegasister" even exists at all is proof of that. There are still many male fans going into the fandom calling themselves bronies thinking "man, I'm changing the history of social norms!" when that simply that isn't the case, especially when you consider the fact that My Little Pony was always intended to be a gender-neutral IP since its creation(though Hasbro had other ideas in mind). Being an adult male fan of My Little Pony doesn't make you any more important than the little girls who watches the show with her family.

The fact the "Brony" has also attracted many negative connotations doesn't help either

Edited by Junpei Iori
  • Brohoof 1

Well I do call myself a brony: because it's the label given to the folks into the show and it's less complicated than using another name. 

I do like what being a brony is about etc: but I think Pegasister is a way cooler label name, but what's in a name a rose under any other name would smell just as sweet

• Brohoof 1

What because kimi sparkles uses it?  :angry::blink:

I don't hear many serious fans not trying to be obnoxious call them selves pegisister.

Except it isn't, the term has always been used to describe the more vocal male fanbase both inside and outside the fandom, the fact that the term "Pegasister" even exists at all is proof of that.

• Brohoof 1

I don't care, it's a neutral term like Gamer, Trekkie, Whovian, or whatever other fandom moniker a group may have. It's stupid to sit around arguing "I'm a fan, but not a brony" it's like saying "I really love video games, but I'm not a gamer" It's funny because people complain it's come to mean something bad, when they're making the problem worse by shying away from the term and letting the assholes have it without a fight.

Do I go around calling myself a brony everywhere? No, I just say I like the show because it's less confusing. Do I shun the term? Hell no, I freely use it places where it's meaning is understood.  

• Brohoof 5

I find it as just a harmless label. Its quicker to say ''I'm a brony'' in conversation than it is to say '' I'm a fan of My Little Pony''.

As for people bullying others, I am afraid that anyone that hates someone that likes mlp is going to bully them regardless of how many times you tell them its only a hobby. I don't believe there should be some level and if you are above that level then you are not a brony as I see that very demeaning to those that do call themselves bronies. Taking on the title is a choice and if you chose to not associate your self as one that is fine but don't give some imaginary  level to the title as it makes it seem like you consider people who do call themselves bronies to be beneath you.

@, You're wrong again. "Brony" has always been a gender- and age-neutral term. Back when the a good portion of the Internet fandom was mostly confined to /co/, the term wasn't "bronies." It was "/b/ronies," and the /b/ronies consisted of males and females regardless of age or gender. The "//" was eventually dropped, and the 'Net part of the fandom eventually spilled out into other Websites (while some stayed behind). People young and old regardless of gender began to gather around and enjoy it. For some bronies, they take the messages to heart, and the episodes ranged from developing fantastic pieces of art to bettering their livelihoods to saving their lives.

But the core of being a brony is liking and being a fan of FIM. No more, no less. Anyone regardless of culture, gender, or age is a brony the second they become a fan.

The term "pegasister" exists for at least two reasons:

1. the gross misconception that "brony" only means the male side of the fandom
  2. so females can tell other bronies that they're female without having to look at their profile page

But I come across a lot of females (hundreds to thousands) online and off who despise "pegasister" because it's specifically gender- and race-exclusive (female Pegasuses), while "brony" translates to "bro" (which has become gender-neutral in many patches of the Western culture; I see this a lot where I live) and "pony." "Pegasister" equals dividing the female gender from the rest of the fandom, while "brony" makes the female bronies feel like one with the rest of the fandom.

As for the false negative connotation of the word "brony," Shoboni explains it perfectly:

It's stupid to sit around arguing "I'm a fan, but not a brony" it's like saying "I really love video games, but I'm not a gamer" It's funny because people complain it's come to mean something bad, when they're making the problem worse by shying away from the term and letting the assholes have it without a fight.

P.S.: BTW, I know how MLP used to be (and currently is, for the most part) a gender-neutral product. I made that point in my blog a long time ago.

P.P.S.:

Ehm it doesn't make you more important. But you do definitely change social norms buddy. Maybe it isn't that weird in America anymore but in my country bronies are still not really socially accepted. It's definitely more """normal""" here for a young girl to watch the show, then it is for an adult male.

In America, it depends. Most of New York City is very socially liberal (the exception being maybe Staten Island). But many religiously conservative parts of the South (a.k.a., The Bible Belt) and Midwest take social and gender roles seriously, often to the point where gender roles = how you live the rest of your life.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

Except it isn't, the term has always been used to describe the more vocal male fanbase both inside and outside the fandom, the fact that the term "Pegasister" even exists at all is proof of that. There are still many male fans going into the fandom calling themselves bronies thinking "man, I'm changing the history of social norms!" when that simply that isn't the case, especially when you consider the fact that My Little Pony was always intended to be a gender-neutral IP since its creation(though Hasbro had other ideas in mind). Being an adult male fan of My Little Pony doesn't make you any more important than the little girls who watches the show with her family.

The fact the "Brony" has also attracted many negative connotations doesn't help either

Ehm it doesn't make you more important. But you do definitely change social norms buddy. Maybe it isn't that weird in America anymore but in my country bronies are still not really socially accepted. It's definitely more """normal""" here for a young girl to watch the show, then it is for an adult male.

• Brohoof 2

@, You're wrong again. "Brony" has always been a gender- and age-neutral term. Back when the a good portion of the Internet fandom was mostly confined to /co/, the term wasn't "bronies." It was "/b/ronies," and the /b/ronies consisted of males and females regardless of age or gender. The "//" was eventually dropped, and the 'Net part of the fandom eventually spilled out into other Websites (while some stayed behind). People young and old regardless of gender began to gather around and enjoy it. For some bronies, they take the messages to heart, and the episodes ranged from developing fantastic pieces of art to bettering their livelihoods to saving their lives.

But the core of being a brony is liking and being a fan of FIM. No more, no less. Anyone regardless of culture, gender, or age is a brony the second they become a fan.

The reason the term "pegasister" exists for two reasons:

1. the gross misconception that "brony" only means the male side of the fandom
  3. so females can tell other bronies that they're female without having to look at their profile page

But I come across a lot of females (hundreds to thousands) online and off who despise "pegasister" because it's specifically gender- and race-exclusive (female Pegasuses), while "brony" translates to "bro" (which has become gender-neutral in many patches of the Western culture; I see this a lot where I live) and "pony." "Pegasister" equals dividing the female gender from the rest of the fandom, while "brony" makes the female bronies feel like one with the rest of the fandom.

As for the false negative connotation of the word "brony," Shoboni explains it perfectly:

P.S.: BTW, I know how MLP used to be (and currently is, for the most part) a gender-neutral product. I made that point in my blog a long time ago.

Thank you.

And yeah, I think I read that somewhere. The cartoon was intended to be for both boys and girls until some higher-up had the idea "girls like ponies and bright, colorful, cute things" and ran with it. So FiM being written as more general audience TV is actually getting back to the shows roots. 

Word of warning to all, this exact attitude some of you are displaying is the reason the furry fandom splintered and the question "are you/am I a furry or do I/you just like furry content" has become such a controversial question.  

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2

Taking on the title ''Brony'' is not meant to set someone up on a Pedi stool so they can brag how much better they are than you, it was a term created to identify one as a fan of the show. Only ones that deem we are trying to act special or base our entire life around the show because we call ourselves bronies are the assholes that hate to notion that we exist to begin with. I don't think we should let a title we made as a way to identify us as fans become so form of slogan that is only used by people who deem themselves better than everyone or by some paedophile. I understand there are those of us in this community that does act this way and that they probably do give us a bad name, but that is still no reason to deem the title as offensive instead of what it was originally created for.

• Brohoof 1

I personally don't call myself a Brony, not because I'm insecure about it, but rather because I'm just not the kind of person that uses the word "bro" in conversations. I usually just use the term "MLP fan" or "Pony fan".

Hey I just happened to like the show a lot. They just happen to call people who like the show "bronies".

I think its humorous to me when some tells everyone around them that they are a brony.

Edited by Ticking Timebomb
  • Brohoof 1

Call yourself whatever you want. A lot of people call themselves by titles relating to interests. It's not something that should be expected from each and every person. Also, it's amusing to see the author try to squirm around their original thought which was that the term was not good enough for them. So are you too good for it or is it "too awkward" for you? It makes no sense. 

To add to this, I am not sure why there is this huge debate about the term and what it means. I mean, people are now mainstream with both males and females. It should not matter if a person has a certain level of interest in something that is mostly accepted.

Edited by Nightmare Diamond
  • Brohoof 1

There are closet bronies for a reason. The brony name has been slandered around and what not, so some don't want to be connected to the name.

Then saying your a fan of MLP amounts to the same thing though. It's fine to be closeted as you shouldnt have to explain it for 10 minutes to everyone you meet but it doesn't change the overall fact that going public with it often causes questions or resentment.. Sure some people are into mlp much more as a small part of their interests vs a lifestyle but being a brony doesn't indicate any level of interest, that just that you like the show. I know some people hate labels (and the community) but the effect is the same.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I wouldn't mind people calling me a brony, but I myself don't call myself a brony, just a MLP/FIM fan or a "bronkey." Yes I get that a lot of you are loud and proud and want to spread the word, but a lot of us aren't ready or simply don't want to be as vocal about the show, for more reasons than just the potential stigma.

I don't really approve of the term that much, since it implies an overwhelmingly majority male fandom, which the media likes to focus on while ignoring the female adult fans. I also don't like it too much since it arose from 4chan, a notorious site for X rated content, hackers and internet memes and trends that I often not too fond or interested in and it associates MLP fans sometimes w/ the more questionable material like clops and jokes like Trollestia which some people dislike.

Also I don't mind that the term every/some/no/any pony is used in these fandom communities, but outside of a MLP or joke context, if I hear you blurt that out loud, I may be inclined to punch you. Fair warning.

• Brohoof 1

When people at school ask me if I am one I say, "Yes, I am a brony and I am proud."

Most of my friends are bronophobic (prejudice against bronies) but some of them don't really mind, if you dont wanna call yourself a brony thats fine, but people might think your a pleb for saying your above it, no one is really above a name title given to them for liking a show, but, you are your own person, and you can do what you like (as long as it is legal). 

I like the show but I will never call myself a brony.

Same.

For me, I am NEVER anything in terms of what fans call themselves like whoovians, trekkies, or bronies. Don't get me wrong, I like the creativity in those names, but I just rather be called a "big fan" of whatever I like.   

• Brohoof 1

I rather like fandom titles, and do use several for myself, but brony is not one of them. I'm just too passive of a fan. MLP is entertainment for me, not an obsession. I have enough actual obsessions in other fandoms =P 

On the other hand/hoof, if someone means 'brony' in just the sense of any fan of the show, I don't mind being lumped into that group.

But if the connotation of obsession is there, then no.

I don't call myself a brony. I'll call myself an MLP fan but that's as far as it goes. I dunno, I just really don't want to label myself as a brony. I don't really care if other people want to call me that though.

I've never (Even now) liked the term "Brony" but I still only use it around my friends and other bronies. If any other person asks if I like MLP, I'll just say something like "Yes, I'm an MLP fan" I wouldn't be blurting "I'ma Brony, everyone!"

I fear people will think I am taking it as a lifestyle than an interest.

The only valid lifestyle is "Enjoy life." and surely interests are the most crucial aspect of that. I'd contend there's little if any real difference between interests and lifestyle if you're living right. The sum of the former creates the latter.

Me, I won't call myself a brony at, say, a workplace because it's simply not relevant. If it comes up there, though, I'll toss it out there. Frankly, I do consider partaking of interesting and enjoyable things (in this case MLP) to be a way of life. The best way, in fact.

• Brohoof 1