Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who does not call themselves a "brony"?

Mywas

I like the show but I will never call myself a brony. Because I have too much Pride for such name. My level is above it.

Arrogance much? xD  'My level is above it' *facehoof* 

• Brohoof 10

I've found most people I know are actually more against "Bronies" calling themselves Bronies rather than the actual concept of people talking about or enjoying FiM. As such, I really don't like to address myself as a Brony around them. 

I've found most people I know are actually more against "Bronies" calling themselves Bronies rather than the actual concept of people talking about or enjoying FiM. As such, I really don't like to address myself as a Brony around them.

This is actually one of the reasons I don't adress myself as a brony.

I fear people will think I am taking it as a lifestyle than an intrest.

• Brohoof 4

I know I'm a brony.  It is a little awkward when some one asks me, but I will say yes to being a brony.  But other than that I don't really tell to many people.  Its partially about my personality to not be so open.  But those who do know either don't care or put it aside.  The way it's been with me is that it was kinda hard the first time I told my friends I was a brony, but after that moment everything is the same as ever.  Just gotta get through proclaiming it then you're ok.   B)

Your just in denial :P

I kid, I kid.

Although, it's an interesting concept. The difference between a Brony and a fan of My Little Pony. I do consider myself a Brony, but I can definitely see where those that don't are coming from.

• Brohoof 1

@

I completely agree. In addition, I've noticed we do have a tendency as any fandom does to take things a little too far, so I can understand how some people could become slightly disenchanted with the term Brony. Granted, we are also one of the few fandoms I can think of with an actual title. The other being Dr. Who fans which is a Whovian, and I've only heard them being called that on rare occasions.

• Brohoof 1

I don't use then name "brony". Don't really see the reason for it. It's not like there is a name for every fandom out there, so why can't you just be called a "fan of MLP:FiM"? When people ask me if I am a brony, I say:"Am I a brony? No. Am I a fan of MLP:Fim? Yes.".

Side note: When I say "brony", it makes me feel like I am speaking a bunch of jibba jabba and I don't like it.

Edited by Jappleack
  • Brohoof 3

I don't believe I've ever just randomly addressed myself as a brony. Though I suppose it wouldn't be any different than saying you were a "Whovian" or a "Trekkie"... But I suppose those are pretty asinine too. :huh:Fandom is fandom is fandom is fandom.

I still brandish the [big Bro] and [Gamer] titles above all else. ;)

• Brohoof 2

I am a brony for one reason only: I'm a fan of FIM. And that's what bronies are: fans of FIM. If you're a fan of FIM, you're a brony. If you're a brony, you're a fan of FIM. Claiming there's a difference between the two is absolutely daft and means you're overthinking what makes a brony a brony.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 7

I am a brony for one reason only: I'm a fan of FIM. And that's what bronies are: fans of FIM. If you're a fan of FIM, you're a brony. If you're a brony, you're a fan of FIM. Claiming there's a difference between the two is absolutely daft and means you're overthinking what makes a brony a brony.

Totally agree, being a brony isn't a bloody life style or religion or some kind of spirituality :P  

It means you like the show, end of :P 

• Brohoof 2

I am not saying that.

I am just saying That the word brony just seems to akward to mention. I prefere the term Fan of FIM Because Its less akward to mention. If somebody asked me if I am a brony I would say yes but the term itself rubs me the wrong way.

Sorry if I offended anybody

I am just saying That the word brony just seems to akward to mention.

Then you're completely overthinking it. A brony means fan of FIM, period. If you tell them you're a FIM fan, you're telling them you're a brony either way. The term is the equivalence to Whovian, Trekkie, Twihard, or Potterhead. Claiming there's a separation (or want of separation) makes you and everyone else who thinks the same look silly.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

Then you're completely overthinking it. A brony means fan of FIM, period. If you tell them you're a FIM fan, you're telling them you're a brony either way. That term is the equivalence to Whovian, Trekkie, Twihard, or Potterhead. Claiming there's a separation (or want of separation) makes you and everyone else who thinks the same look silly.

There are closet bronies for a reason. The brony name has been slandered around and what not, so some don't want to be connected to the name.

Then you're completely overthinking it. A brony means fan of FIM, period. If you tell them you're a FIM fan, you're telling them you're a brony either way. That term is the equivalence to Whovian, Trekkie, Twihard, or Potterhead. Claiming there's a separation (or want of separation) makes you and everyone else who thinks the same look silly.

I agree that The terms have the same meaning. However I will give you an example of what I mean:

The term "Homosexual" and "Gay" have the same meaning. However A lot of homosexuals Don't like the word Gay because of its history of being used as an insult.

I am not suggesting that Brony is a negative term or that nobody should use it. I am just saying that I prefer the term "fan of FIM" even though they are basicly the same thing.

The term "Brony" is about as special as the term "Girl Gamer". It's just a pointless label

Edited by Junpei Iori
  • Brohoof 1

@, A lot of bronies are in the closet for two reasons:

1. A very dark portion of the media and Internet treats them like idiots who don't have a single brain cell.
  2. In many religious parts of the Western World like the south and midwest (where gender roles tend to influence their lives from the day they're born to the day they die), when they see someone enjoy a family-friendly, feminine product, it means they're either LGBT or a pedophile (in those areas, "LGBT" and "pedophile" are disgustingly synonymous with each other *smfh*).

But claiming that "fan of FIM" means they're safe from the bullying won't work, because the two mean exactly the same. If the haters find out, regardless of their position, they'll still bully the closet bronies.

EDIT:

The term "Brony" is about as special as the term "Girl Gamer". It's just a pointless label

Not a good comparison, as "brony" has always been the gender-neutral title to encompass the fandom since its days back in /co/, while "girl gamer" only specifies the female gender. If you want a better comparison, compare "girl gamer" with "pegasister" (female bronies). I never use "pegasister" because it psychologically means the female gender doesn't belong with the rest of the fandom.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

if you like being called a brony, call your self a brony, if you dont like being called it then fine, call yourself whatever you want   >_>

Edited by Skylar

Personally I see a brony as being a person who participates in the fandom in some way - whether they cosplay at conventions or just hop on mlpforums.com to discuss the latest episode. Just like a person can watch Star Trek or Doctor Who without being a Trekkie or a Whovian, a person can watch MLP without being a brony.

That said, I only call myself a brony if I'm dealing with someone I don't mind actually knowing I'm a brony. Usually I like to keep that to myself with people I'm not totally sure would be cool about it (if that makes sense). If My Little Pony comes up I wouldn't have a problem with referring to myself as a brony, but if, for example, some random person sees my desktop wallpaper and asks what it is, I'd be just as likely to say it's a thing from a show I like as I would be to say it's from MLP.

Basically my point boils down to the fact that I don't like having to explain myself over and over again, but I also don't like just ignoring people. So if it's not someone I like I probably won't bother going into any details at all if I don't have to.

I should probably rewrite most of that to make it more readable, but I don't feel like it. I hope my point got across.

• Brohoof 1