Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the art of dating dead?

CometSpeed

look at dateing back in the 1950s and how its changed to now... is the art as a whole dead ?

i ask, because a friend of mine recently got taken to a fast food drive through as a date XD and then later on in the week, at the last minute, was asked by the guy is she wanted to go out to a movie... he later called her ( by now she was ready, and had waited for a few hours for a call/response ) and he said he would have to do it later because he went out with some friends to drink -_-

IS THERE HOPE ?!?!? :0

Are you joking?

Each person has a different way of dating someone, for example the location they would go on dates. The only real difference from back then to today is that today gives more options for people to do or go to on dates. There's hope, just date whoever you feel you could enjoy your company around. People are usually busy with something nowadays so it shouldn't be surprising if you would get canceled on at the last minute. 

That just sounds like she got unlucky, stuck with some son of a derp who only cared about "picking up chicks". Dating is a real practice that continues to thrive, there are just more jerkwads.

Don't know, it depends on the people. I think that people who aren't constantly dating just to get laid might be the ones that still feel like dating is something special.

But in your friends case it's understandable, you can't forget your friends and both your date and friends are equally important.

So I'd say there is still hope, personally I would have just invited her to come along.

Certain aspects of modern dating can make it seem this way, however, dating has simply evolved, not died. Instead of telephone calls, we have instant messaging, instead of 1950s style diners, we have places like McDonalds. All that's changed is the surface image of how these people are dating, it's still the same principles. Granted that things seemed more romantic back in the 50s, but frankly I think that going anywhere with the person you love is romantic enough

• Brohoof 2

It's not really dead, it's just crap now. I've never been on a date but my friends all have girl friends, i hear some of them talk about how it was boring or there were to many of them there. I don't think at the age of 14 you should have a girlfriend, but that's my opinion. But yeah dating has just got crap and advanced with all the dating website and stuff.

my GF would say that dating is the best part ever of a relationship and that she would love to trash me so i can go after her again and again and again :lol:  btw we are togheter from 4 years and half so...

It's not dead. I met my husband online, and on our first date we went for sushi and played pool. Second date we went hiking. Third (wasn't really a date per say) he helped me paint my bedroom. He didn't kiss me until the fourth date. However, I didn't meet him until we were both 26. Tell her to keep looking, that guy is a jerk.

Edited by Troblems
  • Brohoof 1

I dunno about dating being dead. Heck, some of my friends are married couples even, and they still go on dates! I think dating is evolved more than it being crap. When me and my ex used to go on dates we would take turns paying for things, as opposed to the 50's where a man was solely expected to make sure that both parties have a good time. I would possibly say that the whole finding a person to go out with part, and maybe even the next couple of steps even, are crap... but hey... I dated the same girl different times over and over again as opposed to finding someone who was a good person... so who am I to give advice?

No, the "art" of dating isn't dead by a longshot. It's more than likely the guy your friend dated was either a complete idiot or doesn't really care about your friend in a romantic way, or even has no idea how to set his priorities straight if he does. The "art" of dating isn't dead. He just hasn't even begun to learn it.

• Brohoof 1

It is not dead the guy is just a jackass, there are plenty of them out there unfortunately but there are also plenty of good ones out there too. There are many different ways to date and some people don't mind taking dates at places like fast food joints but what is important for both partners is that they remember to give of themselves and do the little things to show that they care.

• Brohoof 1

The "art of dating" could be done in all sorts of ways. That's what makes it an art. It could just be a friendship between the two, or it could be a date from the get-go. Personally, I think the true art of dating starts with friendship. Getting it to grow together and knowing each other for as long as you can without forcing the issue onto anyone. And at the same time have that physical chemistry between them... Yeah that's a true art.

I think you just saw an exception. The art of dating, and chivalry for that matter, are both still alive and kicking. I mean, my boyfriend took me on very traditional dates before we officially became a couple, and it worked out great! Although we rarely go on dates anymore, its more just hanging out at each other's houses and doing study sessions together or something to that nature. 

So I guess it depends on the girl. If she likes being taken out on dates, then there will be guys to do just that for her, keeping "the art of dating", as you call it, alive. However, since I'm low-maintenance and am just as happy staying in and studying together as I would be going out, you cold argue that I'm not following the art or rules of dating.

• Brohoof 2