Flow

84 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Also, it seems Fluttershy went back to being a doormat in the very next episode, because she was carrying all the heavy party supplies

Actually they did start referencing her more assertive sides in the later episodes like during the beginning of the dragon migration episode she fought off twilight and rainbow by screming No ( a lesson she learned from this episode) then escaped both twilight and rainbow

I have to say that Fluttershy was the best in this episode Please don't hurt me because she is always shy. But i think she was best at the end because she learned how to control herself without going over the top like what she did with that guy delivering the mail. I mean he could not see well.

unfourtunatly so far the most times shes been assertive so far in se 2 have been going over the to like in the dragon migration hopefully their do more calm assertive shy in se 3

Actually they did start referencing her more assertive sides in the later episodes like during the beginning of the dragon migration episode she fought off twilight and rainbow by screming No ( a lesson she learned from this episode) then escaped both twilight and rainbow

Indeed she did. Thanks for reminding me of that. Although her refusal probably stemmed more from her phobia of dragons, she acted assertively there. It still seems to me that that Pinkie Pie scene rather negated the lesson learned the prior episode, but I suppose that's a result of having different writers. Edited by Full Spectrum

This was one of my favorite episodes, though I realize it was not one of the best.

It's all subjective, but I don't think Fluttershy was being played out of character. This has been a problem for Williams' episodes in the past (I weep for Mare Do Well), but here I was able to absorb it as canon. While Merriweather's penchant for forcing the characters to act unnaturally is present here to a degree, I always felt like there had to be something beneath her usual shy animal-lover persona. 'Putting Your Hoof Down' showed me there is, and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of it.

Kyronea and Eenohay made some relevant points as to how they view her character, and I'll add one of my own: Fluttershy does not feel that she can trust others with her true feelings. Unless someone like a close friend or Angel prompts her to be completely honest, she tends to bottle things up. Her inability to give Rainbow Dash a real cheer at the start of Sonic Rainboom wasn't just for a 30-second joke and a t-shirt meme. It showed us how reluctant she is to fully express herself (even in a nice way). Some of you have pointed out that all the other ponies being jerks around her was unlikely and too convenient to the plot. Maybe so. But when you're as sensistive as her, that really is how you see the world: mostly full of jerks who don't care if they hurt you.

Almost every time Fluttershy lets herself go has been memorable and surprisingly intense, whether it was lecturing the dragon, finally going nuts for RD when she did the Rainboom, trying to catch the Gala animals when they rejected her, and of course Iron Will's overly aggressive philosophy rubbing off on her. Episodes like this one and 'Hurricane' have slowly but surely fleshed out her painful history, and the inner conflict it can cause for her despite being a very good-natured and caring pony.

This is the most interesting side of Fluttershy for me. Not because I enjoy seeing her suffer, because it makes me want to know more about her. I don't want her to hurt anymore.

Posted Image

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This episode kind of startled me a bit mostly because Fluttershy doesn't become assertive... she becomes aggressive :blink:

I kind of cowered a bit when she yelled at Pinkie Pie and Rarity.

Aggressive Fluttershy scares me :(

I loved the end when she stood up to Iron Will.

That was pretty awesome :wub:

Edited by ~ds8~

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Putting Your Hoof Down is actually one of my favorite episodes, so I rewatched it once again and noticed something. When Pinkie Pie and Rarity try to stall Iron Will when he comes to collect his due... doesn't it seem odd that Iron Will, being a shrewd bussinessman/(minotaur) falls for the cheap switch that Pinkie did with the Tomato seller. He seems pretty smart, misguided to a degree but smart and ruthless. Just a thought.

As smart and ruthless as Iron Will may be, this is Pinkie we're talking about. She could probably trick Celestia with that. Also judging from his reaction when Fluttershy refused to pay him, I'm assuming that he hadn't faced much interference when it came to his previous deals. He was probably caught off-guard.

And keep in mind, this is a show for little girls.

Putting Your Hoof Down is actually one of my favorite episodes, so I rewatched it once again and noticed something. When Pinkie Pie and Rarity try to stall Iron Will when he comes to collect his due... doesn't it seem odd that Iron Will, being a shrewd bussinessman/(minotaur) falls for the cheap switch that Pinkie did with the Tomato seller. He seems pretty smart, misguided to a degree but smart and ruthless. Just a thought.

http://youtu.be/18pcTaIFRdY

Since your topic, 'Putting Your Hoof Down Potential Loophole (Spoilers)' is talking about the episode itself, I've decided to merge it with the official 'Putting Your Hoof Down' discussion thread, as I feel it fits better :3

• 1 month later...

Ah, a Fluttershy one. This was pretty good. Surprisly enough there isn't really much to say. Fluttershy probably never changes, even after this. I at least haven't seen anything noticeable.

Oh yeah, and Iron will? the minotaur? I love how they keep putting Greek mythology in here.

The minotaur, in Greek myth, lived in a maze, or labyrinth, and that was where he held his seminar.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I watched this episode the other night. Definitely one of the best episodes of season 2. When I see Iron Will, I can't help but think of Mr. T.

(edited)

Actually, I never thought of Iron Will as a villain. When Fluttershy finally stood up to him, he backed down right away and didn't demand the money any more.

Me neither. Let's see:

Come to collect his payment? Justified.

Pimp-slap Pinkie and Rarity for blocking him? No, just toss them out of the way.

Tear down Fluttershy's door? No, just knock.

Use John Cena's Five Moves Of Doom on her for not paying? No, honor his 100%-satisfaction guarantee, and even use some of her words for future seminars.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Me neither. Let's see:

Come to get payment? Justified.

Smack around Pinkie and Rarity for getting in the way? No, just throw them out of the way.

Gear up to tear down Fluttershy's door? No, just knock.

Get ready to unleash John-Cena's-Five-Moves-Of-Doom on her for refusing to pay? No, honor the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, and even use some of her words for future seminars.

I love your summary of events, even if I am not familiar with John-Cena's-Five-Moves-Of-Doom. It paints quite a vivid picture though!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks. :-)

Additionally, because of this episode, minotaurs are currently my favorite non-pony race; the closest things to humans so far, and in fact, I actually wouldn't mind being transformed into one if becoming a unicorn was out of the question (hypothetical HIE scenario).

P.S. - He has hands! Somepony call Lyra!

And of course...I love the name Iron Will. It suits him quite well! Starlight Song pointed out something I should have noticed by went right over my head. Iron Will held his seminar in a maze. How fitting for a minotaur!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

• 1 month later...

Really one of the many favorite episode in my list for the series... why? Because seeing Fluttershy being assertive is cute. :yay: 

So what I'm trying to say is assertive Fluttershy is one of many best Fluttershy.